Fighting Belt Slip (Pics Inside) - Any Gates RPM Belt/GripTec Vendors?

TP03

Established Member
I've heard the same thing so you could very well be right.

Yes, Whipple is making and selling the adjustable aux pulley again. I just bought one a couple months ago. Really nice piece.

Pulley looks great. I should contact them directly and see if they can make a tvs 2.6 lol. I've emailed them a few times with no response.

I have a rpm belt sitting on the shelf. I should really try it. I'm just worried what the carbonite coated pulley I'm running will do to it.

Need to man up and put it on.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I sent my 2.6 pulley out to Griptec about a week ago. When I get it back I’ll post some pics as well.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well I think I'm giving up on griptec, unless I actually hear from them today. But I'm not crossing my fingers.

They seem nice on the phone, but other than that I'm not impressed. I measured my 2.6 pulley yesterday for them to make sure we get the correct pulley made. The lady once again said she had to talk with "Doug" and she would call back before the end of yesterday....

From a business stand point, Carbonite Coating treated me much better. I was ready to buy a griptec pulley....

94slowbra1

Established Member
That sucks they won't get back to you. Maybe you can go through someone like lethal performance? They may have some pull.
After reading about griptecs success id probably go that route if I ever needed another pulley

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
That sucks they won't get back to you. Maybe you can go through someone like lethal performance? They may have some pull.
After reading about griptecs success id probably go that route if I ever needed another pulley
I tried lethal as well. Sent them a message forget who it was. They didn't seem to want to help either.

I don't get it, obviously to some customer service is non existent.

Edit:. Just checked, it was LethalBlake.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Socks to hear. Yea, I hate it when I try to give people money and they just won't get back with me. I don't get it.
Yeah I don't understand it either. That's why I'm done calling griptec. I'll just rock what I have or install the lower.

94slowbra1

Established Member
Honestly I'd go with the lower. Mine has had a 4lb lower on it for over 8 years and not single issue. Ive also never had belt slip and its hitting 25lbs right now, and my belts last a while with very minimal dust

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly I'd go with the lower. Mine has had a 4lb lower on it for over 8 years and not single issue. Ive also never had belt slip and its hitting 25lbs right now, and my belts last a while with very minimal dust
Awesome to hear. The only thing that's keeping me from doing it right away, is I also need to remove the alternator and install the larger pulley, lol.

I know it sounds minor. I bought a larger pulley from Nation's. So I have all the parts.

94slowbra1

Established Member
I'd check with them and see what they say. I'm running a j2fab unit and was told not to run a bigger pulley even though I was running the lower. You may be good with your stock size pulley

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd check with them and see what they say. I'm running a j2fab unit and was told not to run a bigger pulley even though I was running the lower. You may be good with your stock size pulley
A couple years ago I asked them and they said it's not required. I believe then they had 2.9 pulleys on them. Now standard is like 3.1 pulley.

I'll probably just leave it for now and see how it goes.

94slowbra1

Established Member
Go with the factory size then. You don't want to risk undercoating at idle. That nations alt is built well, it can handle the abuse
Edit: undercharging

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Go with the factory size then. You don't want to risk undercoating at idle. That nations alt is built well, it can handle the abuse
Awesome thanks. I might install sooner than later.

GM2Ford

Established Member
Just got the RPM belt in the mail today. Here are some pics. I’m going to do some data logging either today or sometime this week with the GripTec & RPM together!

What’s funny is, I never thought I was having belt slip. Unless I had no choice but to put a bigger belt on at the time. Other than that, I was naive enough to think I didn’t have it, or at least that’s what I kept telling myself. I never “really” knew what was going on until I data logged my boost and watched it fall.

Can’t wait to monitor this new setup!

E865DABD-0AD8-4573-91B2-202D87017E3F.jpeg

6188F6F8-FDE2-4E07-B595-0CD4A77A9232.jpeg

5036126A-513E-440E-ACAE-743174B9C92C.jpeg

FF75AE1F-C653-4F51-B09C-7D64989B0268.jpeg

F9C80E1F-C221-471F-BF04-0CCACFEE3FF2.jpeg

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I put mine on the other day. But haven't been able to drive it.
dd0af0458fd9d50f0c89ca49df17c4b8.jpg

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Just got the RPM belt in the mail today. Here are some pics.

View attachment 1634114

That last pic is interesting....you can really see what appears to be the aramid cords bleeding thru the graphics on the smooth side of the belt. Mine is not like that, you can't see cords at all. The graphics are crisp.

Not sure if their build process has changed or what. Mine was built in 2017

GM2Ford

Established Member
Belts installed.

1DE95283-74D8-4595-9FCD-24985553D660.jpeg

Rip to my clean engine bay **Notice all the black marks on the idlers, other parts, etc. that’s from me fighting belt issues, slips, coming off, etc.** I’ll clean it after we have confirmation that it’s satisfactory.

Here’s where my Thump RRR tensioner sits. Just about 20-30% of travel from resting position.

7B1A4980-1C19-4734-A43D-384CE6C8A1DB.jpeg

So now I’m going to do the break in procedure, then test belt slip.

That last pic is interesting....you can really see what appears to be the aramid cords bleeding thru the graphics on the smooth side of the belt. Mine is not like that, you can't see cords at all. The graphics are crisp.

I noticed that too. I thought maybe it was just an effect of printing it on the belt, so made the cords some how shown through.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
just so I understand this.. IF the tensioner is closer to that block that is loose correct?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice, that Whipple belt adjuster looks sweet! Are you going to be data logging boost?
Thanks. I can tell if it's holding boost by watching my gauge. I know what massive belt slip sounds like to. If it holds 21+ psi on a 3rd gear pull then it's good.

Mine shows cords on the sides, but not on the smooth side. Good eye.
just so I understand this.. IF the tensioner is closer to that block that is loose correct?
Correct. Or better description would be down towards the ground. When taking pressure off the tensioner you have to push it down.

Users who are viewing this thread