Fighting Belt Slip (Pics Inside) - Any Gates RPM Belt/GripTec Vendors?

Nadra

Bisquits and mustard
Established Member
I run a 2.6 upper with carbonite coating, along with a thump tensioner and a whipple sliding pulley. Works well, but a lot of belt dust.

I recently bought a 4lb lower which I might try at some point.View attachment 1632691

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

So curious, for you and the other guys who have carbinite coated their upper....are you still cranking down on your tensioner? Not sure if the Thump tensioner is manual adjust or just spring assist like factory, but I have an old skool Reichart Racing manual adjust with spring assist, and I tried the carbinite in an attempt to not have to crank the living shit out of the tensioner to eliminate belt slip. So when I installed it, I backed off the manual tension a fair amount. In all honesty, once I noticed how devestating the carbinite coating was to belts, I immediately removed it. In retrospect, it may have just needed more tension. This might be worth revisiting. if any of you guys are using manual tensioners with carbinite, are you still cranking down on the adjuster bolt adding a ton of tension???

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
also Whipple makes a very nice tensioner that gets great reviews by the folks that own it. Again I don't have the issue so I'm not looking to fix it. Plus I like the way the metco looks compared to the Whipple piece

The whipple adjustable tensioner is what Kevin put on this car.....it's awesome for adjustability because it has that slide channel the pulley bolt torques to. Near infinite adjustability. And more importantly.....according to whipple....it pinches the belt from the proper angle to help alleviate improper pressure against the blower snout.....the typical snub like that metco is pinching the belt from the opposite side and can contribute to premature failure of the blower snout....once again according to Whipple. How true is that? Is it a marketing ploy? I guess that's up for debate.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So curious, for you and the other guys who have carbinite coated their upper....are you still cranking down on your tensioner? Not sure if the Thump tensioner is manual adjust or just spring assist like factory, but I have an old skool Reichart Racing manual adjust with spring assist, and I tried the carbinite in an attempt to not have to crank the living shit out of the tensioner to eliminate belt slip. So when I installed it, I backed off the manual tension a fair amount. In all honesty, once I noticed how devestating the carbinite coating was to belts, I immediately removed it. In retrospect, it may have just needed more tension. This might be worth revisiting. if any of you guys are using manual tensioners with carbinite, are you still cranking down on the adjuster bolt adding a ton of tension???
The thump tensioner is spring loaded. I still seem to crank down on the tensioner, but I don't think it's excessive. The belt dust is a lot if going into boost. I don't mind replacing belts, as I don't put a lot of miles on the car.

However, I did buy a 4lb lower I may install. I hate all the belt dust.

Nadra

Bisquits and mustard
Established Member
The thump tensioner is spring loaded. I still seem to crank down on the tensioner, but I don't think it's excessive.

Ok so to be clear, does the Thump tensioner have the manual bolt you crank down like the RR tensioner does? I get it that it's spring loaded...they all are. Just not all have the manaul adjustment like the RR has.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok so to be clear, does the Thump tensioner have the manual bolt you crank down like the RR tensioner does? I get it that it's spring loaded...they all are. Just not all have the manaul adjustment like the RR has.
No manual bolt. I've run this setup for a few years now. Holds 21lbs, sometimes 22 in cooler weather.

LethalBlake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I logged a 3rd & 4th gear pull, and I could feel the car losing power ever so slightly as my speed was increasing.

Data is from a Gen 2 Whipple 2.9 Crusher w/ 2.75" pulley, stock lower.
Based on the timestamp it held peak boost for about 1.5 seconds and then progressively dropped off. 4th gear only saw 24lbs and started dropping...

View attachment 1632244

This was with a 2.75" factory style Whipple pulley. No additional modifications for anti-slip measures were done to the pulley. Just a smooth 8 rib. I also am running a Gates Green belt w/ a Thump RRR tensioner. During some research, I found out that with the size belt I'm running the tensioner is at 25-30% of it's travel before it's 0% (tensioner unloaded no belt). Which from my understanding is what is recommended when running a Gates RPM belt. If I order a RPM belt, I already have the proper tension part covered.

So, I'm looking to upgrade to an RPM Belt & a GripTec pulley to solve my belt slip woes. If anyone is a vendor that can get me a deal on these products that would be great.

Anyone here have experience with either of these products?

Shoot me a message i can help get you set up :) . We were even having some slight slippage on our 18 with a 10 rib kit and we put a Griptec pulley on and it virtually went away

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

That's cool, I guess I don't remember that one. I thought the only way to get adjustment was with the whipple auxiliary...and all the main arm options were unadjustable.

Nadra

Bisquits and mustard
Established Member
That's cool, I guess I don't remember that one. I thought the only way to get adjustment was with the whipple auxiliary...and all the main arm options were unadjustable.

RR made 2 tensioners waaaay back in the day. One was a 'normal' spring style like the factory tensioner and even most aftermarket tensioners. Then they also offered the manual adjust with spring assist style. This one was insanely popular bc it has an adjuster bolt that you can manually crank down on and put enough tension on the belt to make it feel like you are about to snap the damn belt...or the crank snout....one or the other! RR has been outta the Cobra aftermarket industry for quite a while now so these are unavailable kinda like the Whipple auxilliary. That's the one I really wish I had. Trade ya my RR tensioner for your Whipple tensioner ;)

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
RR made 2 tensioners waaaay back in the day. One was a 'normal' spring style like the factory tensioner and even most aftermarket tensioners. Then they also offered the manual adjust with spring assist style. This one was insanely popular bc it has an adjuster bolt that you can manually crank down on and put enough tension on the belt to make it feel like you are about to snap the damn belt...or the crank snout....one or the other! RR has been outta the Cobra aftermarket industry for quite a while now so these are unavailable kinda like the Whipple auxilliary. That's the one I really wish I had. Trade ya my RR tensioner for your Whipple tensioner ;)

LOL

But damn I could have sworn whipple is still making those on occasion! Might want to call them and see if/when a new batch is coming off the line. I don't believe it's been permantly discontinued

Nadra

Bisquits and mustard
Established Member
LOL

But damn I could have sworn whipple is still making those on occasion! Might want to call them and see if/when a new batch is coming off the line. I don't believe it's been permantly discontinued

I've heard the same thing so you could very well be right.

GM2Ford

Established Member
2.75” GripTec Whipple Pulley.

Just got this in the mail today. Actually sorta thought the packaging for this pulley was kinda cool. Here are some pics. The ribs feel a lot smoother than I imagined, so it’ll be interesting to do some data logging with the Gates Green belt to monitor the slip before going to the RPM belt.

I have the RPM belt coming to but it won’t be here till tomorrow. I’ve read some things where it said (on separate sources) that the GripTec/RPM will pick up .5~1# more boost due to the anti slip measures. So we’ll see.

A27750DB-37F6-415B-8703-0D349EB7D055.jpeg

B7A5D76E-65E3-4EE7-93B0-CB91D28FA925.jpeg

6614B4C8-B17F-42CD-9663-8E5826473D49.jpeg

4E8D3BEE-F97A-415A-969C-EA4578858E5C.jpeg

3AB5F5E7-0C08-496F-8B98-530023D01C83.jpeg

8532C4DE-A297-4065-B37F-4EEC4D0BC033.jpeg

A36E8238-AF1D-49B1-B8E7-F9C4B583F317.jpeg

F0E6CB48-5870-4BB0-AC0A-54DCCA3D3FDC.jpeg

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Pulley looks great. I should contact them directly and see if they can make a tvs 2.6 lol. I've emailed them a few times with no response.

I have a rpm belt sitting on the shelf. I should really try it. I'm just worried what the carbonite coated pulley I'm running will do to it.

Need to man up and put it on.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
The whipple adjustable tensioner is what Kevin put on this car.....it's awesome for adjustability because it has that slide channel the pulley bolt torques to. Near infinite adjustability. And more importantly.....according to whipple....it pinches the belt from the proper angle to help alleviate improper pressure against the blower snout.....the typical snub like that metco is pinching the belt from the opposite side and can contribute to premature failure of the blower snout....once again according to Whipple. How true is that? Is it a marketing ploy? I guess that's up for debate.
I just put one on This winter it's a nice peice.
IMG_20200118_191628.jpeg

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

jwcobra03

Established Member
Pulley looks great. I should contact them directly and see if they can make a tvs 2.6 lol. I've emailed them a few times with no response.

I have a rpm belt sitting on the shelf. I should really try it. I'm just worried what the carbonite coated pulley I'm running will do to it.

Call Griptec Brady. Best way to get ahold of them.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Call Griptec Brady. Best way to get ahold of them.
Thanks I did, they are suppose to call me back to verify they can make one. The sales lady said to call back if I don't hear within a couple hours. I'll be calling again in an hour...

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member

If you decide you wanna sell your RR manual tensioner w/ spring assist, let me know! I would possibly be very interested ;)

Ken

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

Just got this in the mail today. Actually sorta thought the packaging for this pulley was kinda cool. Here are some pics. The ribs feel a lot smoother than I imagined, so it’ll be interesting to do some data logging with the Gates Green belt to monitor the slip before going to the RPM belt.

I have the RPM belt coming to but it won’t be here till tomorrow. I’ve read some things where it said (on separate sources) that the GripTec/RPM will pick up .5~1# more boost due to the anti slip measures. So we’ll see.

View attachment 1632940

View attachment 1632941

View attachment 1632942

View attachment 1632943

View attachment 1632944

View attachment 1632945

View attachment 1632946

View attachment 1632947

They're super nice pieces and great to work with. I kinda thought theyd feel a little rougher as well but when you compare it to the smooth portions of say a RR non-slip its a significant difference. The RR w/ my procharger I was only seeing 10-11 due to massive slip, Griptec I saw 14+ before it blew the tires off in violent fashion with 1k rpm to go

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

View attachment 1632940

View attachment 1632941

View attachment 1632942

View attachment 1632943

View attachment 1632944

View attachment 1632945

View attachment 1632946

View attachment 1632947

Looks good!

GM2Ford

Established Member

Whats the size differences between your current belt & the RPM one? I noticed the Gates Green & RPM belts don’t exactly have the same outer length.

They're super nice pieces and great to work with. I kinda thought theyd feel a little rougher as well but when you compare it to the smooth portions of say a RR non-slip its a significant difference. The RR w/ my procharger I was only seeing 10-11 due to massive slip, Griptec I saw 14+ before it blew the tires off in violent fashion with 1k rpm to go

Wow! That type of psi difference of slip even from an RR, and then gained 3+ just going to a GripTec. Makes me excited. How many psi+ is the pulley that was slipping rated at? & what’s the size of it?

Looks good!

Thanks! Surprisingly I think it looks really good in person, the writing/font & American flag is nice!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Whats the size differences between your current belt & the RPM one? I noticed the Gates Green & RPM belts don’t exactly have the same outer length.

Wow! That type of psi difference of slip even from an RR, and then gained 3+ just going to a GripTec. Makes me excited. How many psi+ is the pulley that was slipping rated at? & what’s the size of it?

Thanks! Surprisingly I think it looks really good in person, the writing/font & American flag is nice!
Different material. I guess you don't want to run those too tight or the belt will snap.

I talked to griptec two or three times today. They were suppose to call me back, hopefully tomorrow...

Users who are viewing this thread