Fifth Wheel Toyhaulers

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
We are looking at getting a toyhauler but I am about as green on the subject as anyone can be. My impression of any camper/RV is that they are all giant POS’s of varying cost, which is probably not an accurate opinion as I’m sure someone has to manufacture a decent setup.

Our use for this camper would be primarily to travel from VA to out west with 3 kids, 2 dogs, and a Can Am X3. My in laws live in western Colorado so we would spend a lot of time in that area as well as Texas, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, etc. Given the distances we are looking to travel as well as the time spent living in the camper, I want to spend the money on something decently built that will hold up and be comfortable for years to come.

Keystone’s seem to be a popular hit for a “toyhauler” search and look decent but again I’m totallly green so I have no idea if they are the “WalMart” of these things or something actually worth spending money on.

Any advice or real world experience is appreciated. Thanks

nxhappy

Established Member
they all suck, I won't lie. inspection is going to be key. inspect for:

roof leaks
water leaks of any kind
AC issues
generator issues
fridge issues

tires/axles/bearings

if buying used, knock them off a few grand. BC I guarantee you WILL have issues that will cost $1000-2000, if not more

you might be better off buying a used dealer unit with warranty

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I bought a 42’ gooseneck toyhauler from Sundowner. All aluminum and top notch quality. Many different floor plans to choose from.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I have a Grand Design Momentum and it’s pretty awesome. I had a Keystone Fuzion before that and it was also pretty awesome. I have had a 5th wheel toy hauler since April of 2009, and I’ve found that if you’re handy, you can handle or prevent just about everything.

Attachments

• 81B4AF12-F31E-42A1-840F-185F5A648D20.jpeg
    81B4AF12-F31E-42A1-840F-185F5A648D20.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 76

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll 2nd the grand design brand. We lived in ours for 3 years while we built our house.
There were some problems, but the support from grand design was stellar. I won't buy anything else.

**** Biden

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
IMO--Grand Design is generally thought of as one of the best, followed closely by any of the Keystone offerings.

I have a 35' Eclipse Iconic and build quality is not good. So far ive repaired several trim pieces on the interior, trim on the exterior, remounted the awning to the side of the trailer, rebuild the carb on the generator, replaced the hot water heater ECU.. the list goes on.

jrandy

Established Member
Like many have said, if you're slightly handy, you'll be fine. But, things will for sure go wrong. The only people that are in for a bad time are those thinking that things will never go wrong.

Just think if you rattled your house non stop... things are going to come loose.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Like many have said, if you're slightly handy, you'll be fine. But, things will for sure go wrong. The only people that are in for a bad time are those thinking that things will never go wrong.

Just think if you rattled your house non stop... things are going to come loose.

They are all going to need work, doesn't matter if it's an old Apache pop-up or a brand new Newell.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a Grand Design Momentum and it’s pretty awesome. I had a Keystone Fuzion before that and it was also pretty awesome. I have had a 5th wheel toy hauler since April of 2009, and I’ve found that if you’re handy, you can handle or prevent just about everything.

Grand Design is the premium Toy hauler brand.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
We are looking at getting a toyhauler but I am about as green on the subject as anyone can be. My impression of any camper/RV is that they are all giant POS’s of varying cost, which is probably not an accurate opinion as I’m sure someone has to manufacture a decent setup.

Our use for this camper would be primarily to travel from VA to out west with 3 kids, 2 dogs, and a Can Am X3. My in laws live in western Colorado so we would spend a lot of time in that area as well as Texas, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, etc. Given the distances we are looking to travel as well as the time spent living in the camper, I want to spend the money on something decently built that will hold up and be comfortable for years to come.

Keystone’s seem to be a popular hit for a “toyhauler” search and look decent but again I’m totallly green so I have no idea if they are the “WalMart” of these things or something actually worth spending money on.

Any advice or real world experience is appreciated. Thanks

If it's a 2seat X3, it is over 12ft long, you'll need a 15ft garage. Expect to pay $120k and for a Grand Design expect to wait 6 months if you order one.

Inventory is nonexistent.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
If it's a 2seat X3, it is over 12ft long, you'll need a 15ft garage. Expect to pay $120k and for a Grand Design expect to wait 6 months if you order one.

Inventory is nonexistent.
It's 11' long, a 12' garage should fit it fine

C2tuck

Established Member
Anyone have a travel trailer that they just leave at a property to use?

I have one out in west Texas that sits. It’s my work home…

Sometimes I’m there for a few weeks, sometimes I’m not there for 2 months. I just leave the AC’s set to 78 and turn the water off.

I usually pray that I find it burnt to a crisp when I’m headed out there. I HATE campers, but I’ve lived in them for work for a decade.

Mine is a grand design as well, so it the top of the line piece of shit.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
If there is any way you can, store it under cover. A fabric cover is better than nothing, but covered structure is better because you get proper air flow around it.

**** Biden

Users who are viewing this thread