FIC 1000 Injector Limits

carguy96

Established Member
I am putting together my motor to go back into my car.
My setup is a Fore Level 2 system, twin 465 pumps, FIC 1000 injectors (they’re 95lb), comp cams (XE266BH-116 grind), a 2.8 KenneBell Mammoth blower with a 3.5 upper pulley and stock lower (for now) mid length headers, off road X-pipe, etc.

I am trying to determine roughly what my limits are with these injectors.
For now, I estimate I’ll make about 650ish whp on 93 octane on what I think is around 18-19psi. But I am thinking down the road if/when I switch over to E85 and want to run more boost, where is the limit with these injectors?
I’m trying to decide if I should get some bigger ones for down the road.

I guess to be clear, I’m not expecting to ever make some crazy Gen 5 Whipple numbers with this KB, just trying to find what my limits are with this setup.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
The FIC1000's will get you pretty far even on E85. I am running the same injectors with twin 465's high pressure version on 25lbs of boost. I am seeing about 90% injector duty cycle at the top of my pulls, running 55psi base pressure in my return system. Injectors are pretty easy to sell aftermarket, and the FIC1200's are pretty reasonable priced. I would say if you are going to run more than 20 lbs on E85 I would probably go to the 1200's to give you a bit of room.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I have a standard inlet 2.8H, built motor at 10.3 CR, cams, 2 465 pumps ect. With Ford Racing 80's, 22 psi I made 785hp/702tq on corn. Base fuel pressure was set at 60 psi. I was at 95% duty cycle.

I switched to ID1050X's, lowered the base pressure to 42 psi and make 823hp/767tq on 22 psi now.

So the point is, with a higher base pressure, you can get over 800 rwhp with those injectors.

Last edited:

IllCobra

Established Member
I have a standard inlet 2.8H, built motor at 10.3 CR, cams, 2 465 pumps ect. With Ford Racing 80's, 22 psi I made 785hp/702tq on corn. Base fuel pressure was set at 60 psi. I was at 95% duty cycle.

I switched to ID1050X's, lowered the base pressure to 42 psi and make 823hp/767tq on 22 psi now.

So the point is, with a higher base pressure, you can get over 800 rwhp with those injectors.
I need to do more reading into this, but what is base pressure's correlation to power? And what duty cycle are you at with the ID1050Xs?

OP, I've read that ID1000's are at 100% duty cycle at 1000whp, if the FIC1000 are the same then you should be good.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I need to do more reading into this, but what is base pressure's correlation to power? And what duty cycle are you at with the ID1050Xs?

OP, I've read that ID1000's are at 100% duty cycle at 1000whp, if the FIC1000 are the same then you should be good.

Base pressure doesn't correlate to power. Raising base pressure makes a smaller injector act like a bigger one. The ideal plan would be to run a larger injector instead of raising base pressure. But injectors aren't cheap and sometimes you just need that little extra.

Last edited:

IllCobra

Established Member
Base pressure doesn't correlate to power. Raising base pressure makes a smaller injector act like a bigger one. The ideal plan would be to run a larger injector instead of raising base pressure. But injectors aren't cheap and sometimes you just need that little extra.
Gotcha!
What are the cons to doing that though?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Gotcha!
What are the cons to doing that though?
Pumps can only supply so much pressure. Starting with lower base pressure gives more room for the pumps to work. Say you're running a base pressure of 50psi and you're running 20lbs of boost. The pumps will need to be able to supply 70psi to overcome the boost pressure. If the pumps can only supply 65psi they won't keep up.

IllCobra

Established Member
Pumps can only supply so much pressure. Starting with lower base pressure gives more room for the pumps to work. Say you're running a base pressure of 50psi and you're running 20lbs of boost. The pumps will need to be able to supply 70psi to overcome the boost pressure. If the pumps can only supply 65psi they won't keep up.
Very good info!

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I think I know what you mean here, but it wasn't stated correctly. Pumps flow more fuel volume at lower pressure than they do at higher pressure. If you are tight on fuel pump capacity, starting with a lower base pressure will give you more headroom on volume. If you are tight on fuel injector capacity, a higher base will deliver more fuel through the injector. So depending on your situation, it changes how you approach this. If you need more base pressure to accommodate smaller injectors you should plan to run the Walbro 274 high pressure pumps.

This link is a pretty good test and explanation on pumps.
Blog Post Radium's Ultimate Fuel Pump Test

Last edited:

carguy96

Established Member

Those seem like very solid numbers for a standard inlet 2.8H!

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
Plenty of us have maxed out ID1000's/1050's in the 700's on e85. I'd recommend something bigger.

cj428mach

Established Member
Maybe but I ran out of injector on my stock long block 2.3 tvs, e85 car, at 22 psi. My buddy did the same with the exact same combo. Malcolmv8 ran them out before 800rwhp, Soap went to ID1300's on his 2.3 tvs e85 car.

People kind of laughed at me and called me crazy when I said they are iffy at 700+ but it seems now over time more people have experienced it, and accepted it. ID's calculator use to show that they were getting close to maxed out around 700rwhp unless the base pressure was turned up.

carguy96

Established Member
Maybe but I ran out of injector on my stock long block 2.3 tvs, e85 car, at 22 psi. My buddy did the same with the exact same combo. Malcolmv8 ran them out before 800rwhp, Soap went to ID1300's on his 2.3 tvs e85 car.

People kind of laughed at me and called me crazy when I said they are iffy at 700+ but it seems now over time more people have experienced it, and accepted it. ID's calculator use to show that they were getting close to maxed out around 700rwhp unless the base pressure was turned up.

Who tuned your car?

IllCobra

Established Member

Are you at high(er) elevation? Couldn't that do it? Would turning up your base pressure have solved it? I just bought a set of 1050X's so I am hoping that I don't need to sell them already for a bigger set lol

cj428mach

Established Member
Are you at high(er) elevation? Couldn't that do it? Would turning up your base pressure have solved it? I just bought a set of 1050X's so I am hoping that I don't need to sell them already for a bigger set lol

Depends on how far you're going to go and how much safety factor you want in there.

Users who are viewing this thread