Fiber Optic Cable, what is it's max internet/network speed?

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Just curious if this Fiber Optic cable can at least support 1-2 GB/second.

I surely don't think Verizon would spend billions of dollars every 90 months installing this cable across the country if it isn't semi-future proof.

So what's the max it can support? :-D

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Does anyone know when it'll become a bottleneck though, because every form of cabling does have a limit, like coaxial cable.

I searched on Google quickly and came up with "up into the GBs" so nothing too specific. :)

trubluecobra

eh?
Established Member
Well I'm not sure when it will become a bottleneck, but I work for Nortel Networks and we currently have 10GB/sec fiber connections. It also depends on the cabling. That is with using 62.5/125 μm multi-mode fiber. I'm not sure on the actual limits of the different sizes of fiber cable, but 62.5/125 MMF seems to be used the most from what I've seen

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Ultimate speed does depend on the hardware at either end; I don't believe they've demonstrated a practical limit to fiber yet (I could be wrong).

Cisco has packet switching equipment that will run into the Terabits/sec range; 1Gb & 2Gb setups have been in use for several years; 10Gb/s stuff is becomming common and 100Gb/s is not unheard of either.

Just make sure the modules you're using for the fiber coorispond to the fiber type (single mode/multi-mode) and *always* have the fiber certified to at least the speed the equipment hooked to it will run at, if not higher. Terminating fiber isn't quite as easy as wiring copper and believe me, if you have any network issues you'll be forever happy you had it certified so it's not anything you generally have to worry about.

A good quick primer on multi mode vs. single mode fiber- http://luxlink.com/faq/multi_or_single.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread