• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

FCA/SRT officially no more: Rise of Stellantis Group

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by RedVenom48, Feb 16, 2021.

1. svtfocus2cobra

svtfocus2cobra Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi Established Member

Cross-shopping, I agree, but when it comes to actually comparing sales within the industry I think you have to stick within the segment. All would be considered muscle cars, sure, but the segment goes by number of doors, coupe, sedan, etc as you know. Ford isn't even trying to compete with the Charger at this time so there's no real knock to Dodge there because Ford doesn't even have an answer, but when it comes to 2 door sports cars there's nothing out there that sells like the Mustang does. Really, since they have already used the Mustang name on something other than a 2 door, and they are probably going to turn it into its own brand, I would actually like to see a 4 door Mustang be built which someone did a render of and I thought it looked great.

2. RedVenom48

RedVenom48 Ghost Editor-in-Chief Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

Front suspension (and the engineering from MB) that went into the S430. The rear suspension and diff (and MB engineering) that went into the E series of that MB generation the LX went into production. 5 speed auto trans for the first few years of production engineered by MB.

While you're correct that I was wrong in my assertation the LX was an old Mercedes platform, there is a significant amount of MB based engineering in use ON the Chrysler designed LX. Which makes sense since at the time it was engineered, Chrysler and Dodge were both owned by Mercedes Benz. I think its fair to say that its more Mercedes than it isnt. And credit to Chrysler/Dodge for keeping the platform revised but still based on the LX since 2011.

Thats a far cry from trying to say thats similar to saying the S197 was a Jaguar.

GotHemi? and svtfocus2cobra like this.
  3. HEMI LOL

HEMI LOL Twin Screwed Established Member

and NONE of those cars sell worth a damn.

jeffh81 likes this.
  4. HEMI LOL

the LX platform is a reworked W211 chassis from Mercedes. this is back to the days when MB owned them. the LX uses steel spring suspension design from MB(front and rear).

and the S197 does use some intel from Jag in the chassis and front suspension design. its all from when ford owned them. pretty common practice in platform cross sharing.

GotHemi? and RedVenom48 like this.
  5. jeffh81

jeffh81 Here’s KingBlack Established Member

The challenger 1320 called, but man i got my PP1 for so much less it wasn’t funny

gimmie11s and RedVenom48 like this.
  6. RedVenom48

RedVenom48 Ghost Editor-in-Chief Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

I bet you got yourself a PP....1

jeffh81 likes this.
  7. noco5.0

noco5.0 Active Member Established Member

8. 7998

7998 Don't Care Established Member Malt Liquor Mafia

Wasn't the LX platform used on the 2004-2005 300c, Charger, & Magnum?
    And lol at those comparing the S-197 using Jaguar tech to FCA using components from a 30 yo Damiler/Chrysler platform. The S-197 has been produced in 7 model years.

LOL, when most people go car shopping they want the best car, but obviously your top priority is buying the "Best selling car".
    I don't understand that logic but there it is in quotes.

9. Corbic

Corbic Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Yes, the LX is the original 300/Magnum.

No, claiming the S197 is a Jaguar has nothing to do with age, but with claiming Ze Germans designed the LX and its just a reskined E-class.

Clearly the S197 is just a Type-S.

Also, no idea how a differential or transmission validates the argument. Did Getreg or Borg Warner design the Mustang since the Mustang uses their transmissions?

me32 likes this.
  10. 7998

7998 Don't Care Established Member Malt Liquor Mafia

E320 is to the 300c, Charger, Challenger what the Fox-body is the Mark 7, Turbo Coupe, SN-95.

GotHemi? and Silverstrike like this.
  11. Tob

Tob Salut! Staff Member Super Moderator

The Alpha platform was well thought out. I'm continually impressed with what GM got away withand how it gave it such performance potential.

12. Corbic

But in a free economy, the "best car" is the "best selling car".

Consumer is dictating what is the attributes that make the car "best".

So while an alpha maybe lighter, more responsive and faster around a track...

The consumer values styling, comfort, cabin size and price value more.

An R/T cannot compete with V8 Camaros and Mustangs in terms of performance. It is however, almost $10k less and certainly has the best in class exhaust note.

The Mopars just look good, ride good, sound good and are overall great values. No one cares how old the platform is. They are the closest thing we have to classic B-Bodies, GM A and G bodies, Caprice Bubble Tops, Panthers, etc.

Mustangs and Camaro both decided to become the poor-man's BMW.

jeffh81 likes this.
  13. Corbic

14. HEMI LOL

im sure GM wouldn't kick a best selling car out of bed. I mean this is essentially how the mustang has owned the Camaro for 50+ years. nobody buys camaros. are some of them good, sure. do they sell? NOPE. there is more to the equation than just performance numbers and this is what GM can't figure out. its a blend that makes cars successful.

jeffh81, me32 and Corbic like this.
  15. Corbic

Bingo.

4th Gen Camaro raped the SN95 and New Edge in performance terms. But Ford was laughing all the way to the bank with their 1979 Chassis.

Cry all you want about the LX being +15 years old. Ford pumped out Mustangs on the same damn chassis for 25 years - and in my opinion, those are still the best overall Mustangs ever built.

jeffh81, me32 and BlksvtCobra01 like this.
  16. 08mojo

08mojo ... Established Member

2013-2014 GT500s can be had all day long at $35-$45k. Just like the 2015 Challenger Hellcat can be had all day long for similar prices...

me32 likes this.
  17. Corbic

And nobody paid an ADM for the +2016 Hellcats

big reg likes this.
  18. HEMI LOL

I think we can all agree that GM can't sell cars.

jeffh81, me32, GotHemi? and 1 other person like this.
  19. big reg

big reg Gets his shit pushed in Established Member

Part of the problem is they have too many products across their product line that compete with each other.

In regards to the Camaro, the mid cycle refresh in 19 was ****ing atrocious. I cannot believe someone actually showed their bosses that and they said yup, looks good to me. The updated look in response to the complaints and slumping sales the next year was just as bad.

20. blk02edge

blk02edge Well-Known Member Established Member

The Corvette has some questions for you...

FCA couldn't give away Vipers for the longest time... All that tells me is most car guys are really a bunch of pussies who like cup holders

big reg likes this.