Fastest stock converter NA auto car?

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
Whats the fastest anyone has been NA on the stock converter?

Struggling to get below a 2.00 60' and 12.4 @113 with 275/55/18 M&H Racemasters, full bolt ons and UPR suspension. Hoping that the issue lies with my worn out Koni Str.T shocks. Got some Koni Sports to put on but havent been able to.
Tried 22 psi and 18 psi, no change. Tried launching from idle, 1200 and 1800 with no change.

Ideas? Really cant justify a converter since I race maybe 3 times a year and its my daily driver 100+ miles a day, but trying to just see an 11 second pass. Car dynod at 419/390 so feel it has the power to get there.

wr450

Established Member
My 14 a6 went 12.67 bone stock on bald factory 18 inch tires 12.42 with a lund tune still on the base tires I've since added a 3 inch off road x pipe the cars an animal now feels much faster

stang910

Established Member
I'm sure this isn't the fastest, but a local guy ran a best of 11.86 on the stock converter and could consistently run between 11.90-11.92 every pass on 93 octane.

5lho

Established Member
That car must have been stripped, had extra power, suspension work and tires. No bloody way you'll get 11.80s out of a stock converter, full weight car with no mods. Low-mid 12s are about what the car will do stock w. a tune. The stick cars, on a good day, can get into the 11s if you do it just right, same setup. At least, that's how it went for me.

I'm pushing through the stock converter sag with nitrous :)

KushBandit

Established Member
My best time is 11.67 with the stock converter. However, my car is on the lighter side, at 3400lbs race weight; 450rwhp. I'll see if I can find my slip.

Before I pulled weight, the car could only get a best of 1.8 on the '60 with the stock converter, which is what kills the ET. The converter is just too tight for racing.

Badlilstang

Established Member
My buddy went 12.1 with a stock converter on tires (tune and xpipe).. nothing stripped. I have heard from Mike Roush the 2011 cars have a little looser converter than the 2013/2014 cars. I went 12.4 on my 20" velgens with just a tune and offroad X pipe.. 1.979 60ft.. stock converter also. Weighed in 3820 with me in it.. not sure DA but temp was around mid 60's. I think with lighter wheels I might have gone a 12.3 or 12.2

Badlilstang

Established Member
We've had a few in the 11's with tune/tires only. Here is a link to timeslips from my personal car: (16 A6)
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...All-Motor-15-Coyote-Record!-9-88-!&highlight=

The 9sec pass! lol that's awesome. Silly Rabbit... Those are impressive times. I noticed you talked about S and D differences.. can you make a car drive like stock in D and then have a more aggressive profile in S all set the way you would like? Not to thread jack but it would be pretty awesome to have stock driving maybe with lower shift points in D and then aggressive shifting and higher shift points in S... I would be all over that setup!

bunits19714

Established Member
OP- you shot yourself in the foot- the boss intake is hurting you without a converter, and most say the et will suffer till the race weight is below 3500 lbs, don't know what your da is or was on your passes but I use to get 1.92 60's on the stock pirr, and 1.88 on a 18" mt dragradial- with just a tune and a off road x, and run 115mph, 12 teens. even with the converter a stock intake will still 60 foot and 1/8 mile better than a boss but usually it can make it up on the big end of the track. if you only track the car 3 times a year and drive 100 miles a day I would waste the money on a converter either- at 100 miles a day the car will be used up in the next 2 years any ways assuming it already has 50 k on the odometer or more now-

5lho

Established Member
I've done 12.4 on a 91 tune and tires, full bloat load premium S197 car, factory exhaust, airbox, etc. 12.1 I can buy on a good day with a tune and X-pipe car but, there just isn't much room to move here. It's going to stall weakly, and that's the crippler. You can change the game with more power, e.g. exhaust, e85 or a power adder, or reduced weight, or what have you but, no one is going 11s on the stock converter on a S197 without changing something significant. If memory serves, the 15+ cars get a looser factory converter than the S197s, which speaks to the heart of this discussion.

stang910

Established Member
That car must have been stripped, had extra power, suspension work and tires. No bloody way you'll get 11.80s out of a stock converter, full weight car with no mods. Low-mid 12s are about what the car will do stock w. a tune. The stick cars, on a good day, can get into the 11s if you do it just right, same setup. At least, that's how it went for me.

I'm pushing through the stock converter sag with nitrous :)

This is a full weight premium car with a 250-300lb driver. I never said he didn't have any mods, I said he did it with a stock converter. His mods were Steeda intake, longtubes, high flow cats, tune and 3.55 gears. He ran 26" bias plys out back with the stockers up front. As for a manual trans car I ran 11.70's a long time ago with JLT, OR-X, and tune with a bias ply out back and my car is also a premium car.

Rodinator

Established Member
The factory converters are so tight on these cars it's really sad. It'll push through the lights if I try to stall it at all. With a Bama 93r tune off road X pipe, ported stock intake and throttle body, Airaid MIT, GT500 mufflers, 275/60-15 555 DR, no spare 250lb driver car ran a best of 12.39@113 with a 1.92 60 foot. I think with skinnies in the front and a 275/50 a 26 inch tire instead of a 28 inch I could pick up .15 maybe but that's about all the car has. I'm so ready for a converter, in the spring I can't decide if I want a 3c or 4c though.

wr450

Established Member
I'm confident my car will go low 12 high 11 with tires it was built the last week of 14 production if there's any truth to them having 15 heads my best of 12.4 was real soft outta the hole I've since added the x pipe and it feels much faster

Turbo06gt33

Established Member
I went 11.87 @119 with Lund e85 tune, cobra jet, off road x-pipe, one piece driveshaft on big and littles. 60ft was 1.88

5lho

Established Member
Look back and see what the OP is talking about. He's not talking full exhaust cars or E85, nitrous or lightweights. He's asking if he can get an 11 sec out of the stock converter with the stuff he has, which isn't aided by some of the other mods chosen. It sure ain't the shocks keeping him off the 11, it's the converter. If I'm honest, I don't think it's making 419 rwhp either, with a 113 mph pass.

scotmach

Established Member
OP- you shot yourself in the foot- the boss intake is hurting you without a converter, and most say the et will suffer till the race weight is below 3500 lbs, don't know what your da is or was on your passes but I use to get 1.92 60's on the stock pirr, and 1.88 on a 18" mt dragradial- with just a tune and a off road x, and run 115mph, 12 teens. even with the converter a stock intake will still 60 foot and 1/8 mile better than a boss but usually it can make it up on the big end of the track.

Look back and see what the OP is talking about. He's not talking full exhaust cars or E85, nitrous or lightweights. He's asking if he can get an 11 sec out of the stock converter with the stuff he has, which isn't aided by some of the other mods chosen. It sure ain't the shocks keeping him off the 11, it's the converter. If I'm honest, I don't think it's making 419 rwhp either, with a 113 mph pass.
Agreed here. The Boss Intake + stock converter is a bad recipe of parts and it's not making nearly the claimed power judging by that trap speed.

Users who are viewing this thread