Fast, cheap and reversible electric guitar mod

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Got a Fender Chinese-made Telecaster that just isn't cutting it, in terms of output?

Here's a quick, cheap fix: neodymium magnets, 10mmx60mmx2.5mm.

Put them on the bottom of the bridge pickup, one at a time. This augments the existing magnets. One magnet will punch it up noticeably, two of them really make it put out the micro-amps and gives it a fat sound, without killing the twang. It does tame it a bit, but it's still very much present. I did this on a dirt cheap Chinese-made Fender Tele and with two magnets, it sounds awesome.

They do make the magnets in 5mm-thick versions, and that would work. But with the thinner magnets, you can add or remove them to zero in on the sound you want.

You can also do the same with the neck pickup. And you don't have to glue anything, the magnets are strong enough they will stay in place on their own. Any knock hard enough to dislodge the magnets will probably break something on the guitar. The neat thing about this is, because they aren't glued, the mod is reversible if you don't like the change it makes.

The magnets are cheap, and can be purchased on Amazon. There are several different brands, all from China, probably all from the same factory.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Interesting to see this thread, James. Just last night I watched a Smithsonian Channel special called Rock 'N' Inventions. Covered the history of the electric guitar and some of the best guitarists. Included the first electric guitar by George Beauchamp in 1931, Gibson Les Paul, the Fender, the Telecaster, the Stratocaster, etc. Really interesting show.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Never thought of trying it. however, I play mainly high output humbucker set ups 99% of the time.
It's nice to find a few more musicians that are into the car hobby.

I have a different set-up for every guitar. In a Strat I run a traditional single coil arrangement. The same goes for my Tele. I have an ES-335 and a Music Man Axis with humbuckers. My Les Paul has p90s.

As a session bassist, I have a selection to cover a vast array of tones as well.

I don't even want to get started on amps, pedals, etc.

These are my tools though. I am a music producer and engineer by profession. Yes, I also own my own studio.

I am actually looking for a regular job that will allow me to work with music as a hobby again. I love what I do, and I work with a lot of big names, but I am at a point in life in which I want a stable schedule, and let someone else worry about being the business owner.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CV355

_
Established Member
The only passive-pickup guitar I own is my PRS Custom 24. I may try this trick with it and see what it does just for S&Gs, but I love the sound of the pickups it has.

My other electrics are EMGs. I know, I know. I went through THAT phase. :)

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Should work Strats as well. Ive got a 96 American Standard that desperately needs more output.

Of course, as far as passive pickups go, nothing can beat a Seymor Duncan Invader. With a Mesa Tremoverb or Peavy 5150 itll melt your face off.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I hadn't used an Invader since 1989. Too mid range tone for me and my god the feedback if you didn't have a good noise gate..
I recently fell in love with the DiMarzio Transitions designed by Steve Luthakher.
Other than that I use either stock (Depending on Guitar) or Seymor Duncan Screemin Demon. (which surprisingly has lower output than most realize or the name leads to believe)

Users who are viewing this thread