Farcical USGP - Formula 1.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Unbeleivable. I can't beleive that there is a team strike in the USGP because of a faulty tire...I don't have all the facts but it appears that the FIA has damaged its reputation in the US for a LONG time as a result of today's race.

Your thoughts.

AcrophobicChevy

.......¯\(O_o)/¯......
Established Member
:shrug: dude i was speechless as i watched the coverage of the prerace. im horrified and in dissbelief as i watch 4 cars two teams chase schumacher and barrichello around the track..schumachers my favorite driver so of course i want him to win but damn i want a little competition.. :cuss:

AcrophobicChevy

.......¯\(O_o)/¯......
Established Member
mblgjr said:
So whats the deal with a faulty tire?
michellin deemed their tires unfit to go the full distance of the race unless a chicane was placed at the entrance to turn 13(the high speed bank) the fia threatened to pull there sanction for the USGP if a change was made so the michellin drivers pulled out

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
AcrophobicChevy said:
michellin deemed their tires unfit to go the full distance of the race unless a chicane was placed at the entrance to turn 13(the high speed bank) the fia threatened to pull there sanction for the USGP if a change was made so the michellin drivers pulled out

Oh I see...I'm getting bits and pieces but this is VERY strange. I really don't know what to say...but I went in 2000 to the USGP and it was over $1000 for a race weekend all inclusive. If I spent that kind of money, in addition to my time, and I saw a race like I'm seeing on TV right now, I would be in a litigational mood...I'd feel like suing somebody. :cuss:

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
I just heard that the FIA is trying to scapegoat Michelin by stating a rule that Michelin is allowed to bring 2 different types of tires to the track in order to properly equip the teams. Since Michelin did not make that allowance, and the FIA does not allow a Michelin shod team to make a change to Bridgestone for a single race, Michelin shod teams sat out stating that Michelin was not able to supply the proper equipment.

The FIA is pinning this situation on Michelin, in short. This is truly odd...I have had the utmost confidence in Michelin up until this point. The problem with the Michelins have been typical of Firestone street tires from what I understand, and Bridgestone is a Japanese Firestone. The irony is thick, very thick.

donpablo

Established Member
While I'm dissapointed in the teams, I understand their decision. It's a business, a multi-million dollar one. Ultimately it comes down to Michellin screwing the pooch on this one. Last time I checked, Indy's turn 3 hasn't changed. I was planning on being back home in Indy for this race, said for the fact that my sister is getting married 4th of July weekend and I couldn't justify 2 trips in less than 2 weeks.

Hope they get it squared away for 06.

DP

AcrophobicChevy

.......¯\(O_o)/¯......
Established Member
JoeNashville said:
Oh I see...I'm getting bits and pieces but this is VERY strange. I really don't know what to say...but I went in 2000 to the USGP and it was over $1000 for a race weekend all inclusive. If I spent that kind of money, in addition to my time, and I saw a race like I'm seeing on TV right now, I would be in a litigational mood...I'd feel like suing somebody. :cuss:
oh you better believe id be pissed but theres nothin really that can be done about it i think it was bullsh*t that the FIA threatened them like that..

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
A buddy of mine is at the race, what a bunc of sh*t, they payed to see the race and there are six cars! Michelin can't make a tire that will hold up for 73 laps!? They didn't know the race was going to be run at indy again this year? Give me a break. I didn't get the full story either, I know Ralph crashed again Friday in the same corner he did last year, so is that what started it? Or is it that Michelin just brought some bad tires? Either way it's abismal.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
DonPablo94SVT said:
While I'm dissapointed in the teams, I understand their decision. It's a business, a multi-million dollar one. Ultimately it comes down to Michellin screwing the pooch on this one. Last time I checked, Indy's turn 3 hasn't changed. I was planning on being back home in Indy for this race, said for the fact that my sister is getting married 4th of July weekend and I couldn't justify 2 trips in less than 2 weeks.

Hope they get it squared away for 06.

DP

I really don't think any of us can fault the teams or the drivers for what obviously is a safety call. Michelin had substandard equipment as a supplier, but the FIA had several opportunities to rectify the situation and did not. The sanctioning body is at fault just as much, if not more so, than Michelin.

I am not condoning crutching the sport along to coddle someone who obviously has not done their homework, but to have it happen in this magnitude...something should have been done before it came to this.

About 2006...I have serious doubts about my patronage in 2006. It's hard to say but I personally will not spend my time and effort in traveling to Indianapolis if Bernie Ecclestone has a hidden agenda and makes me feel like a made a very bad decision personally, by attending the race.

This may or may not be completely straightened out by this time next year...time will tell. In the interim it's bad, just bad. :uh oh:

NotoriousJaegs

~There Goes My Hero~
Established Member
JoeNashville said:
I really don't think any of us can fault the teams or the drivers for what obviously is a safety call. Michelin had substandard equipment as a supplier, but the FIA had several opportunities to rectify the situation and did not. The sanctioning body is at fault just as much, if not more so, than Michelin.
:fm: :fm: :fm:
No Way! I may think the FIA has an unending supply of bad ideas, but this one is on the teams and Michelin. Ferrari had tire problems at Catalunya, and the other teams basically pointed and laughed. When you don't have competitive tires, you go at a non-competitive pace and bide your time (see Bridgestone in 2003). You cannot tell me that a Mclaren would have been unsafe to run turn 13 at 70 mph and then go full speed through the rest of the course. They pick tires, and now they have to live with them, I understand the reason they didn't try to run the race as best they could, it would have been embarrassing to be passed by a Minardi! However, hiding the way they have is straight puss! There is nothing magic about turn 13, it's just that it puts a high load on the tire, and the Michelins apparently can't take the load from max speed. :whine: :whine: Deal with it! If the FIA would have bent over backwards to the attempted blackmail by the Michelin teams, the damage to the sport would have been worse than a GP with 6 cars (not that this was a good thing). I personally am happy that Whiting told them to cram the "chicane" demand right back up their rear diffuser

I am happy to see a thread about this on SVTP though :beer:

97whitesvt

Established Member
This is f'in ridiculous. I went in 2003 and loved it. I have been to every major form of racing and F1 is my fav. The FIA has screwed th pooch on tires (tyres), how they qualify and now this. Is Michelin at fault, yes. Is the Fia at fault, yes. If the teams are allowed two different types of tyres and Michelin only had one then why didn't they let them use the tyres that they air lifted in. Just because they didn't qualify on them is not a strong enough argument for me. I think of when I went and how many people were there from other countries and it just makes me pissed. My soulution would have been let them use the other tyres, Mich or Br. and start them all from the back of the grid or pit road. This will severly damage the sport in the US as it has a weak following already. The chicane was a horrible idea.

But I am also glad to see a thread about it on SVTP.

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
Everyone beilieve what they want no one is at fault for this but Michelin. Indy has been around for 6 years now, michelin should have done their homework a little better. Just reverse the situation with Michelen and Bridgestone, if Ferarri, Jordan and Minardi coulkd not have raced, Oh well, that would have been the end of it. I dont blame the Bridgestone Teams or the FIA for not making a race day rules change or a track reconfigure, thats just all on Michelin if you ask me.

AcrophobicChevy

.......¯\(O_o)/¯......
Established Member
NotoriousJaegs said:
:fm: :fm: :fm:
No Way! I may think the FIA has an unending supply of bad ideas, but this one is on the teams and Michelin. Ferrari had tire problems at Catalunya, and the other teams basically pointed and laughed. When you don't have competitive tires, you go at a non-competitive pace and bide your time (see Bridgestone in 2003). You cannot tell me that a Mclaren would have been unsafe to run turn 13 at 70 mph and then go full speed through the rest of the course. They pick tires, and now they have to live with them, I understand the reason they didn't try to run the race as best they could, it would have been embarrassing to be passed by a Minardi! However, hiding the way they have is straight puss! There is nothing magic about turn 13, it's just that it puts a high load on the tire, and the Michelins apparently can't take the load from max speed. :whine: :whine: Deal with it! If the FIA would have bent over backwards to the attempted blackmail by the Michelin teams, the damage to the sport would have been worse than a GP with 6 cars (not that this was a good thing). I personally am happy that Whiting told them to cram the "chicane" demand right back up their rear diffuser

I am happy to see a thread about this on SVTP though :beer:
i think the chicane idea was a good one.. it would have made for a competitive race..alot better than 6 cars..as for the tire crisis.. i think it was a good call on michelin to admit there was a problem with the tires it wasnt a matter that they couldnt take the load another michelin shod car wrecked on a different part of the track that had nothin to do with turn 13...the michelin cars realized how badly the tires were being torn apart by turn 13 and thats why they were called off. i think its total bull**** that the FIA threatened the sanction.
DaleM said:
Another reason NASCAR rules!
:shrug: your joking right? :poke: :lol1:

Last edited:

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
im barely watching the us gp right now. i don't understand why the fia didn't approve with the chicane. but than again, f1 needs publicity(in the u.s.) and why not create drama for the fans and bring new ones in?....

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
AcrophobicChevy said:
:shrug: your joking right? :poke: :lol1:

Nope. The joke seems to be F-1 pulling off a race. The F-1 drivers gave the fans exactly what they deserve. :burn:

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
i knew eventually that it would come to this and the demise of the indy gp. problems were apparent at the first gp at the track. with rear tires. piece of shit track and mickey mouse layout. i hope they put the gp back at phoenix or at long beach...

Users who are viewing this thread