Failed OEM Cat. Options in CA?

Twisted2

Established Member
A muffler shop has deemed my drivers' side catalytic converter to be damaged inside (cracked honeycomb), from dragging over speed bumps. I'm not convinced that's true, but let's just say it is. In California, is there any legal way to install a new aftermarket catted midpipe, rather than sourcing another crusty, used OEM one (which this pipe was when I bought it)?

The shop was suggesting welding in one new catalytic converter, to the tune of $700, which seems crazy to me. I've heard that California can make an exception when a factory cat is certified failed, and allow the use of an aftermarket pipe. Does anyone know if that's true, or have any experience with this? Thanks.

Edit: Also, it would have to be an option other than that $3,000 Magnaflow pipe that's supposedly carb legal. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
$700 is not a bad price at this time - believe it or not.

check this out -

Twisted2

Established Member
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess you're right. Still, it stings to have to spend that kind of money, with no options. It's better when things break that can be upgraded. Haha.

check this out -

Twisted2

Established Member
The whole story is, I actually don't think there's anything wrong with my cats. I'd brought the car to the shop for a rattle that had appeared after having run over a rock. After the shop that quoted me $700, I went to another shop that I trusted, and they showed me that the rattle was actually the clutch fork/throwout bearing cover, which the rock had mangled, flapping against the transmission.

The cat heat shields are scraped a bit, but not compressed at all. The cat body underneath the shield looks untouched. I was mainly wondering if there's any benefit to having a shop willing to certify that your factory cat is bad, from an upgrade standpoint. That's the truth.

Adower

Established Member
Check your DM. I have a BBK catted H pipe I'd probably let go and I'm in NorCal.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member

check this out -

+1, the metals inside are crazy expensive and that is why tweakers are stealing them en masse yet again.

If your cat is ‘clogged’ it will typically glow red from the heat when driving extended periods, check that.

I would definitely get a 2nd opinion at a performance shop, especially one that does Mustangs. Plenty out here.

If you can get it on jack stands or a lift its pretty easy to pop the trans inspection cover off and see if that is the noise.

I picked up my Magnaflow 50state pipe from Autoanything for like $1400 with discount code. Best price I’ve seen.

Users who are viewing this thread