Fact or Fiction: Diesel oil

ferfont1

Established Member
Does this stuff still have zinc/zddp additives? If so what brand oil is the best option? I'm trying to find a cheap alternative for my daily driver and I heard that the EPA regulations from a couple years ago didn't affect diesel oil.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Yes, 5W-40 and 15W-40 diesel lubricants commonly found off the shelf in Rotella and Chevron brands do have elevated levels of ZDDP. However, despite past internet hype of how great these oils are for a gasoline engines, they aren't perfect.

Off the shelf diesel lubricants will have a detergent additive formulated with calcium and magnesium. Passenger car lubricants rely solely on calcium (no magnesium). I've been told by certain chemists that the use of magnesium in gasoline powered engines isn't a good thing, and has been known to form deposits in the engine. That's why it's not used in PCMO's.

They will also have high levels of NOACK Volatility (evaporation/burn off). You may notice an increase in contamination in your intake manifold after many thousands of miles using Chevron or Rotella diesel lubricants. *This isn't much different than using cheaper PCMO's. They will have the same effect*

Lastly, higher levels of ZDDP have been shown to not reduce wear in modern, non flat tappet, engine applications. I myself have shown in my personal UOA's that a high ZDDP lubricant resulted in the same wear ppm as a lubricant with API SN levels of ZDDP.

Conclusion, don't buy into the hype.

Users who are viewing this thread