F150 Forced Induction Only Thread

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
So I went out to Richmond Dragway with a bunch of Cobra, GT and Bullitt buddies all forced induction one way or another. I decided to leave the Cobra at home even though I was curious to what she would run (12.5 for sure). I ran the truck with about 20lbs in the bed, spare tire, side mirrors open and about 75lbs of audio equipment. I run my cars like I run them on the street! Turned out okay, I was looking to break into the 13's, I beat 4 out of my 5 opponents. I lost to my buddies Bullitt but he was shocked I kept up, lol. I've got power all day in the low ranges but once I hit about 80-85mph I just coast so I need to hit up Troyer and see what's up. I chased down a 5.0 fox body, that was pretty funny and I bet there's a whole lot of people wanting to buy what appears to be a stock F150, lol. Funny thing is my fastest time was as soon as I got there and that's after the 1hr 30min drive...WTF! I'm taking the Cobra next time!

2008F150Timeslip.jpg

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
The 2005+ F-150's are wonderful trucks, but they are just so short on power from the factory. That 4 speed transmission on the pre-'09 trucks didn't help any. I have considered supercharging my 2005 S-Crew, but I've never been very tempted to let go of the $5000. I considered the Ford Racing kit (with the an intercooled Whipple) for a while, but not very seriously.

...but now Roush is offering the non-intercooled Roushcharger for under $2400. I prefer intercoolers, but as someone above mentioned... the NIC kit gives 412 flywheel hp vs. the IC kit at 445 (using the Standard Roush tune). The 33 horsepower difference costs an extra $2600.

Now I'm seriously considering the NIC Roush. My wife drives the truck more than I do because my commute is longer and I drive the more fuel efficient vehicle. That kit should give us ample power with OEM reliability. We won't be taking it to the track, I just want it to be able to pass and overtake safely. If I was looking to run with Lightnings... I'd definately get the intercooled version.

If I make the purchase, I'll try to post pics and before and after dyno runs.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
go for it. Get rid of that Roush tune though, that thing is seriously horrible and sets the speed limited at 99mph. Troyer makes another 30rwhp compared to the Roush tune. BLAH!

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Only problem I have is with the hi-flow cats, almost everytime I go into boost the damn p0420/0430 cat threshold code is thrown. Mike says there is no way to fix that and his do it too, there's gotta be a way to delete it or something...QUOTE]

I'm no expert here but my instinct reaction is that this code has little to do with a problem in the cats and is more indicative of a problem with the tune (i.e. running too rich or too lean at times overloading the cats and causing them to overheat or something). Just my gut reaction... I am by no means an expert. Perhaps the hi-flow cats contribute to this as well.

I have heard a lot of people say good things about Troyer, and I'm convinced that he is the best aftermarket F150 tuner anywhere... period. But I bet the stock Roush tune (I consider an OEM level) doesn't throw that code.

Of course, it doesn't put down 380 rwhp either! ;-)

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
yeah you're probably right, of course each tune is different cause each truck is different. Hell the damn code didn't throw all day drag night and I was RACING! LOL! Mine does run a little rich cause in my neck of the woods there is a lot of 10% ethanol so I typically end up going with Shell but Troyer adjusted for that in my tune since I guess ethanol doesn't make as much power as reg 93. Not to mention the long tube headers from Dynatech as well. As far as I know I'm only one of two people it happens to and the others his wifes F150 with almost the same setup. Maybe my setup is so unrestricted that the Cats don't know what to do.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
go for it. Get rid of that Roush tune though, that thing is seriously horrible and sets the speed limited at 99mph. Troyer makes another 30rwhp compared to the Roush tune. BLAH!

I figured Troyer would make more power, but the Roush tune should be good enough for now. I expect it should be perfectly smooth and dependable in every way. Besides at 90k miles, I don't want to push things too far. I have the engine out of my 88k mile '96 cobra right now because of a 'custom' tune on a higher mileage supercharged modular motor. My car lifted a head and blew the head gasket. I've been told the factory torque-to-yield head bolts are less forgiving as they get older.

Besides... that leaves me some room to grow with a Troyer tune later :burnout: As for the 99 mph speed limit, since I won't be taking the truck on the track, I can't imagine why I'd have a 4x4 S-crew F-150 over 100 mph anyway.

I wish we could hear more from some of the blower owner's out there. I'm interested to know how it does day-to-day over many miles. There has to be more supercharged 04+ F-150 out there...let's here it.

Last edited:

Blackflareside

Established Member
I have a 04 f150 with a procharger D-1sc and a small shot. I dont drive it everyday though.
Troyer does a good job you should let him tune it for you.

FATHERFORD

Established Member
Never owned, just worked on them a lot.

I originally was going to have a 04 lighting before I got my 04 F-150. After the dealership screwed me out of that deal, I went for the new body style F-150 to make my own "lightning."

Sometimes I wish I held out and got a lightning, but I'm glad I got the truck I got and I almost have it where I want it.

500DRAGPAC

Established Member
I have a 07 5.4 2wdsb that has cai-sct box tuner and a zex nitrous kit from my 06 GT mustang and on the motor the truck ran a best time of 14.93@92 w/2.21 60 witch I thought was pretty crappy but I did weigh the truck at the track and it weighed 5180 with no driver (heavy right) then I put on my mickey thompson dr's from my GT and sprayed right out of the hole and man what a feeling that thing took of like my GT and ran a 1.74 60' best time was 13.20@101 I was really happy and if that was hard to believe the bottle was half empty when I got to the track so it was surging in high gear from low bottle pressure.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
Who is this Troyer and how can I get a hold of hime??????:shrug:

Mike Troyer and his crew at Troyer Performance here in VA. His tunes take a long time cause he is so backed up but you can always make a appointment if you go there in person. Great people! Was one of the first to help fab up the roushcharger and one of the first to help stand up SCT, great shit!

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
So I went out to Richmond Dragway with a bunch of Cobra, GT and Bullitt buddies all forced induction one way or another. I decided to leave the Cobra at home even though I was curious to what she would run (12.5 for sure). I ran the truck with about 20lbs in the bed, spare tire, side mirrors open and about 75lbs of audio equipment. I run my cars like I run them on the street! Turned out okay, I was looking to break into the 13's, I beat 4 out of my 5 opponents. I lost to my buddies Bullitt but he was shocked I kept up, lol. I've got power all day in the low ranges but once I hit about 80-85mph I just coast so I need to hit up Troyer and see what's up. I chased down a 5.0 fox body, that was pretty funny and I bet there's a whole lot of people wanting to buy what appears to be a stock F150, lol. Funny thing is my fastest time was as soon as I got there and that's after the 1hr 30min drive...WTF! I'm taking the Cobra next time!

2008F150Timeslip.jpg

holy crap in the timeslip you posted my stock 2 valve 4.6 supercrew runs the 1/4 faster than the trans am you raced. also the time you had was kinda dissapointing, my buddy with a bolt on titan crew cab runs 14.3's @ 94mph. wheere do you live? this is here in orlando so i guess that would explain the faster times here

Users who are viewing this thread