F150 Forced Induction Only Thread

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
Hopefully this hasn't been done before but I'm a loyal F150 guy and even with the Cobra I decided to drive the F150 today so I'm feeling the truck love. Post pics, specs and dyno charts! I wanna see those chart numbers or you're just a liar :bash:

2008 F150 5.4L XLT Mods:
1. Roush Intake
2. Roush SI/DO Exhaust (Legal)
3. Roushcharger w/intercooler
4. Dynatech Long Tube Headers
5. Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats
6. Troyer Dual 16" E-Fans
7. Troyer Tuned XCAL3
8. 8.5 PSI Boost

Engine
IMG_0278.jpg

Intake
IMG_0277.jpg

Dyno Chart
DynoResults5-22-09.jpg

Vids:
1. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDJJGr5dctE"]YouTube - 380rwhp/419rwtq 2008 F150 5.4L 3V Supercharged![/ame]
2. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsUvFEsreNQ"]YouTube - Roush Supercharged 5.4l F150 Cruise; 100mph at the end (some boring parts)[/ame]

65fastback2+2

Established Member
ive been looking at f150's and the roushcharger....the non-intercooled version is a TON cheaper for some reason tho

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
that's cause the non-intercooled version is the first one to come out and isn't capable of supporting a lot of power. Heat is still a killer and the intercooler is def worth it. I believe you can get the non intercooled and intercool it afterwards but why. Power cost money and the intercooler with get where you need to go. I'm waiting to port mine out and run 10psi but I need a dual fuel pump setup.

Last edited:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
that's cause the intercooled version is the first one to come out and isn't capable of supporting a lot of power. Heat is still a killer and the intercooler is def worth it. I believe you can get the non intercooled and intercool it afterwards but why. Power cost money and the intercooler with get where you need to go. I'm waiting to port mine out and run 10psi but I need a dual fuel pump setup.

did you mean the non-intercooled?

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
roushperformance.com or you can get a hold of Troyer performance and he should be able to hook you up. He carries ported Roush blowers now too! He's tuned so many F150's it's nuts and he may have already tuned a 09. I'm not sure how the fitment is on the 09's compared to the 08' so I would be interested to hear. If you do go through with it, you will most likely talk to his wife Anita and she's awesome!

SVTSuperDuke

Established Member
Troyer does have a nice package with a ported blower and everything needed, plus exhaust and custom tunes, but the price is way too high. Sure would be nice to get a group discount ....

raslobra98

Established Member
so roush and troyer are the only sources...?

Not too worried about the tune. I currently tune myself with prp from sct on my cobra and would hope it works for the f150 as well. I'd have to call SCT on that.

How much power will this factory motor hold? Anyone know what the internals are...? I assume hypereutectic pistons, rods, and maybe a forged crank.
I've blown my cobra motor too many times, but absolutely cannot blow this one....hah

Thanks guys,

Rob

SVTSuperDuke

Established Member
I would love to get some feedback on that as I've heard a lot of people talking about building their 3v, but don't know anyone that has actually done it. Anybody built and blown a 5.4 3v?

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
My main concern was about the stock motor and trans. You can always call and ask Mike Troyer about it but if I remember correctly the stock internals can handle about 500 and the trans is pretty strong as well. He was has strictly running 8.5psi on stock motors like mine but when he got the ported blowers from Roush he did some more research and feels that he could run 10psi safely on a stock motor. Needless to say my setup is very conservative and I could run her all day if I wanted. He wanted me to take my Cobra money and build the F150 motor up but I needed two vehicles. Said I could have hit 700rwhp with the money I spent on the Cobra, lol. Only problem I have is with the hi-flow cats, almost everytime I go into boost the damn p0420/0430 cat threshold code is thrown. Mike says there is no way to fix that and his do it too, there's gotta be a way to delete it or something...
I'm sure you can find them other places, it's just a beefier m112.

Last edited:

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
I would love to get some feedback on that as I've heard a lot of people talking about building their 3v, but don't know anyone that has actually done it. Anybody built and blown a 5.4 3v?

probably not on this site, hell even this thread didn't get many post. A few F150online.com guys have some nice power but most are using nitrous in addition. I have about the 2nd or 3rd most powerful F150 over there if I remember correctly and like I said my setup is conservative so I doubt there are any built motors there. I'm pretty much copied my setup from this Roush Project Truck on another F150 forum. There's so story behind this but most of the tech info is accurate and shows you what Troyer can do.

Roush F-150 Project Truck Articles and Sponsors .: Articles

SVTSuperDuke

Established Member
I agree with you MDK. There must be a way to stop that thing from throwing a code and I'm suprised that Troyer does not have a fix. Unfortunately, that is something that really sucks. There just aren't enought people into it, at least with a 5.4 3v. If you've got a 2v then theres tons of data and valuable info at lightning rodder or nala. It is extremely beneficial to have so many guys that can share info and unfortunately if does not seem like we have it for the 3v. I thought that Troyer had done a lot of volume so that the people would gather and this thing would grow, but I just don't see the numbers. Not in comparison to the lightning forums. Also, don't know why Troyer wants you to spend all your money on a test project. Seems to me like he should be building, testing and promoting!

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
Troyer does have a lot of volume which is some of the bad news, it takes him about a month to send out custom tunes for the XCal3. Mike just wanted to know why I didn't throw the money into it, he may have done a built motor already in these trucks I just didn't ask. His wife's truck is the project truck, started without the intercooled system then installed the intercooler while I was down there. He also fabbed up a 3 fuel pump capable setup made out of billett which was completely awesome and is his new baby, pretty expensive though, but that went on his wifes truck too. Other than that he has a 03 Termi that beats Z06's all day and a Lightning that's just nasty. Says he wants a GT500 for his next project but the dealers aren't coming down in price and he refuses to pay full price for them.

Last edited:

SVTSuperDuke

Established Member
I've seen lots of folks talkin about building a 3v. But just see anyone doing it. Troyer has a term and a lightning, but those vehicles already have a ton of r&d done and lots of forums to share info, as well as vendors that really support their products.

Troyer should build a 3v. Someone shoudl build a 3v. Anyone should build a 3v. Like Field of Dreams, .........if you build it, they will come. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread