F150 Coyote Difference

TClark22

Established Member
I have decided on a coyote swap for my 04 GT instead of building up the 2v or termi swap. I have a really good connection on a brand new F150 Coyote with like 7 miles on it for 4k with a/c compressor and alternator.

I have googled it many times so I know a few things are for sure different to make more low end torque for towing. I found that the shortblock is the same minus the pistons for slightly lower compression, which would be ok because i plan i turboing it. Then the intake cams are slightly different for the low end tq, would this be bad for a turbo setup, if i have to change them i might as well get aftermarket? And of course the headers are cast instead of tubular for durability, doesn't really matter to me since i plan on turbo.

What else have i missed? I may end up just getting the motor in the car and run it N/a with some longtubes unless i feel i can afford to go ahead and tackle the turbo setup at the same time.

Hoping a ford mechanic or someone who really knows the differences can help me decide to pull the trigger on this awesome deal or look for a mustang one instead?

migg400

Established Member
There are a few guys on the vintage mustang forum that have the F150 coyote. I have one that I purchased for a swap and as far as I know the difference is the F150 has 10.5:1 compression, different intake cams, headers, and tuning. The F150 is compared to the Boss 302 as having the same TQ rating which is 380ftlb as well as the advantage of the OEM oil cooler (front mounted, Boss is side mounted). I contacted Roush and Ford performance as I am putting a Whipple (624HP) kit on it and they both stated that there is minimal difference between the two and the blower kits are the same. The achieved power is in the tuning (of course).

pufferfish

Established Member
gt vs f150 and turbo either of them, there is no obvious winner...but boost too much and both are losers. both use hyperteuctic pistons.

americansteel

Banned

I have googled it many times so I know a few things are for sure different to make more low end torque for towing. I found that the shortblock is the same minus the pistons for slightly lower compression, which would be ok because i plan i turboing it. Then the intake cams are slightly different for the low end tq, would this be bad for a turbo setup, if i have to change them i might as well get aftermarket? And of course the headers are cast instead of tubular for durability, doesn't really matter to me since i plan on turbo.

What else have i missed? I may end up just getting the motor in the car and run it N/a with some longtubes unless i feel i can afford to go ahead and tackle the turbo setup at the same time.

Hoping a ford mechanic or someone who really knows the differences can help me decide to pull the trigger on this awesome deal or look for a mustang one instead?[/QUOTE]

F150 5.0 uses a different intake cam, intake manifold, cast iron exhaust manifolds and supposedly different pistons.
if you have plans on turbo, do your self a favor and get a set of better rods. I had a blower on my truck broke 4 rods. 6 PSI going down RT1 with a 9100lbs boat at not even 62mph. btw N/A they suck for towing.
good luck with your project.

TClark22

Established Member
yea i think i have steered away from the f150 motor. I should be buying a mustang one from a guy on here

pufferfish

Established Member
yea i think i have steered away from the f150 motor. I should be buying a mustang one from a guy on here

you aren't saving yourself anything when buying a gt motor. you get the same rods and the same hyper pistons just with a different compression ratio. so, they will fail in exactly the same manner, because they share the same weak links. if its the intake cams you are after, the gt cams can be purchased new for $120 each from ford...and then step up to the boss exhaust cams for another $100 each!

on a side note, I did notice the oil cooler on the f150 is NOT the same as the boss. no idea how that would plumb or fit.

TClark22

Established Member
well the motor i am buying is complete minus cams, since they are out I am going to go ahead and tear the motor down and drop new rods and pistons in. After all said and done i will probably just have to run it n/a for a while until i can afford to turbo it.

migg400

Established Member
The F150 is basically the same engine. The differences are the intake cams, compression (10.5:1), tune (of course), headers, and timing cover. The timing covers doesn't have the noticeable ribs on the front of the cover which made it less work for me when prepping the cover for my Whipple install. Also the F150 has an added oil cooler just like the Boss 302 but its front mounted instead of the side. The F150 also has 380ftlb of TQ same as the Boss.
I am also adding the MMR head cooling mod!

Last edited:

migg400

Established Member
F150 Whippled....

Here is a few pics of my F150 Coyote.
IMAG1668_zps4edc29c7.jpg

IMAG1666_zps3ce07d41.jpg

IMAG1661_zps204e8816.jpg

48prerunner

Established Member
What about the ac compressor

Any difference between a mustang and a f-150 ac compressor? They look the same in pictures, F-150 compressor is much easier to find and used about half the price of a mustang.

buffhomer

Lurker
Established Member
I was also told the oil pan gasket doesn't have the built-in windage tray on the F-150 motor. I have a truck motor that I'm doing all the big power N/A mods to, the only difference in the end will be compression. Should be able to make up for that with the tune. What I've come up with so far:

* Different front cover (not just ribs, a couple tapped holes and bolt locations too)
* Cast exhaust manifolds
* Different intake manifold
* Different intake cams
* Slightly lower compression (pistons)
* Different oil pan gasket/no windage tray
* Forward facing oil cooler
* Tune

Same aluminum block and heads as the regular GT motors.

americansteel

Banned
I was also told the oil pan gasket doesn't have the built-in windage tray on the F-150 motor. I have a truck motor that I'm doing all the big power N/A mods to, the only difference in the end will be compression. Should be able to make up for that with the tune. What I've come up with so far:

* Different front cover (not just ribs, a couple tapped holes and bolt locations too)
* Cast exhaust manifolds
* Different intake manifold
* Different intake cams
* Slightly lower compression (pistons)
* Different oil pan gasket/no windage tray
* Forward facing oil cooler
* Tune

Same aluminum block and heads as the regular GT motors.

both use the windage tray gasket. if you're looking for N/A power with a truck 5.0 your 2 biggest problems are the intake cams and the intake manifold. they were designed for low end power and torque (although they really don't make it low) a half of point of compression is fine. intake tune cams TB injectors LT headers is what you will need to make N/A power. if you have plans on this motor staying in the truck and you want to do all the "big power mods" youre wasting your time. but if you have a car go for it! just remember you will raise your redline past 6900RPM.

buffhomer

Lurker
Established Member
This is in a Fox coupe and will have cams, different intake, twin bore throttle body, exhaust, etc. etc. Again, the only difference in the end will be the compression. Hopefully it does good!

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
ok so i have almost got my truck engine ready to go in and thought i should update the differences

intake cams are not the same

no windage tray in the truck engine

intake manifold looks to be the same minus the gray cover on top of the mustang one and the rubber gromets to mount the nice plastic 5.0 cover on top

the front cover on the truck engine moves the alternator further out to the side. a new cover is around $80

the oil filter adapter must be changed. make sure you get the nipple the filter screws onto since it is not included the pair should run about $45

the wiring harness from the truck pulls up as a different part number. new harness is 150 if yours doesnt match up
(i printed the pin outs from 11-13 f150s and mustangs and the trucks do show to be different but the harness that came with my 13 truck engine matched up pin for pin with a mustang pinout. they use the same PCM so there is some mixed up info somewhere. i would suggest checking all 70 pins to make sure your harness is correct.)

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
I am also doing an F150 Coyote swap. I'm replacing the 4.6 DOHC in my road race car.

I would like to keep my power steering setup and is and bolt it onto the driver's side. I also want to put the alternator low on the pass side where the AC usually goes. I'm still looking for the correct bracket/setup for this. Anyone have an idea?

Does anyone know more details about the timing covers? I saw the info PBH had about the covers but I'd like to know part numbers and or a date change, if possible and does this timing cover issue apply to both the F150 and the Mustang version.

TClark22

Established Member
The PBH bracket will work to put the power steering pump in the stock 4.6 location

And I am pretty sure you would have to do something custom for the alt to be in the a/c location

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
Yeah, based on my research, I'd agree. I don't think it's worth the time/effort at this point. I'm going to stick with the PBH setup for now with my AC delete pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread