F150 6.2 a Good Daily Driver?

venmos1

Established Member
Hey guys, starting my search for a new truck. Im starting to like the F150 with the 6.2L. I know little about them. Obviously it would need premium gas, and wouldnt get the best gas mileage. But im fine with that. How reliable are these engines and drivetrains? Any issues to look out for? Any info and help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
6.2L take regular.

IMO the 6r80 is a stout transmission and I haven't read too many horror stories on the 6.2L from a Raptor perspective.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The 6.2L is fords most reliable engine in a truck these days. It will easily go 200k miles with regular maintenance and same as the 6R80. The worst thing I think ford did was drop the 6.2L F150 line up

venmos1

Established Member
is the drivetrain and engine identical in the "regular" F150 and the raptor? I would have thought the 6.2 would take premium. Good to know.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Lol just looked at a truck with a 6.2 that dropped a valve at 132k, then saw this thread.

Hunter98SVT

Maximum Over Rustle
Established Member
I looked at a Limited with a 6.2l before I bought my FX4 with the 3.5L.

The 6.2l is a beast but the torque in the 3.5 is fun

I drove it 70 miles a day for a year before I bought a work beater.

Pick your poision

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
is the drivetrain and engine identical in the "regular" F150 and the raptor? I would have thought the 6.2 would take premium. Good to know.

IIRC the transmission and most of the engine is the same.

Hotter cams in the Raptor/F-150(?) I believe is the main difference engine wise between the 6.2L in the F-150's and Super Duty

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I daily drove my 2011 Lariat for 2 years with a 6.2 and I averaged about 10.8 miles per gallon not towing and about 7 miles per gallon when towing so if you don't mind living at the gas pump it's a great motor. I have a 3.5 EcoBoost now and I definitely miss the sound but not the fuel mileage.... and my EcoBoost makes more power and torque and gets nearly twice the mileage whether I'm towing or not.

Last edited:

Hunter98SVT

Maximum Over Rustle
Established Member
Ideally drove my 2011 Lariat with a 6.2 and I averaged about 10.8 miles per gallon not Towing in about 7 miles per gallon when towing so if you don't mind living at the gas pump it's a great motor. I have a 3.5 EcoBoost now and I definitely miss the sound but not the fuel mileage.... and my EcoBoost makes more power and torque and gets nearly twice the mileage whether I'm towing or not.

Wow, I'm glad I bought the 3.5 ha

I get about 18 on the highway, 14-15 towing my boat or a car.

And that's on 33's with a 3" lift

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I daily drove my 2011 Lariat for 2 years with a 6.2 and I averaged about 10.8 miles per gallon not towing and about 7 miles per gallon when towing so if you don't mind living at the gas pump it's a great motor. I have a 3.5 EcoBoost now and I definitely miss the sound but not the fuel mileage.... and my EcoBoost makes more power and torque and gets nearly twice the mileage whether I'm towing or not.

I'm guessing that is around town mileage?

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Yes that's mixed driving. However I was in outside sales and did a lot of highway mileage as well and the best I ever did on the highway averaging about 80 miles an hour was 12.4 with 3.73 gears in the rear end and staying on the cruise control. My truck was terrible on gas. Even after I had it tuned with an intake and full exhaust I only gained about .7 miles per gallon.

I'm guessing that is around town mileage?

venmos1

Established Member
Im trying to stay around the $20k price point. Looks like the 2011 is closer to that mark. The other option i have is to wait a year on the truck and possibly up my budget a bit. If i do that ill look at a used tahoe/yukon/escalade (2008-2011ish) that i will drive for a year then my wife will have it when her crv lease is up (we need a bigger suv now with 2 kids).

Sounds like they are good trucks. Any issues to look out for? Is that dropped valve mentioned above a common issue? any common issues with these trucks with 6.2 with 120k miles or so?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Ecoboost wins everywhere over the 6.2 OTHER THAN sound.

Had a ‘11 FX4 with the 3.5 and it was a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

My94GT

Established Member
I had a 2010 platinum with the 6.2 and I loved that truck. I’d still have it today if I wasn’t commuting so far to work. I’ll likely go ecoboost next.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
The only issue I had with mine was a leaky rear diff that just had to be resealed and when downshifting from 4th to 3rd gear it would sometimes shift hard. Also, if you were rolling backwards and shifting from reverse to drive it would lurch into first gear occasionally. ... I'm talking about like one or two miles an hour not like I was doing 15 miles an hour backwards and jamming it into drive. Both my 2011 and 2015 with the 6-speed had the same characteristic.

Im trying to stay around the $20k price point. Looks like the 2011 is closer to that mark. The other option i have is to wait a year on the truck and possibly up my budget a bit. If i do that ill look at a used tahoe/yukon/escalade (2008-2011ish) that i will drive for a year then my wife will have it when her crv lease is up (we need a bigger suv now with 2 kids).

Sounds like they are good trucks. Any issues to look out for? Is that dropped valve mentioned above a common issue? any common issues with these trucks with 6.2 with 120k miles or so?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes that's mixed driving. However I was in outside sales and did a lot of highway mileage as well and the best I ever did on the highway averaging about 80 miles an hour was 12.4 with 3.73 gears in the rear end and staying on the cruise control. My truck was terrible on gas. Even after I had it tuned with an intake and full exhaust I only gained about .7 miles per gallon.

Crazy, my roush raptor(35's with 4.10's) on mud tires gets better MPG at 80.
But yea, these 6.2Ls aren't fuel efficient.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Crazy, my roush raptor(35's with 4.10's) on mud tires gets better MPG at 80.
But yea, these 6.2Ls aren't fuel efficient.

Ditto. Not supercharged like yours, but I get about 12.6 city only, 15 mixed, and about 17 highway if I keep it around 70. Most gas trucks these days get terrible gas mileage at higher speeds than that.

Users who are viewing this thread