F-1A on the way, need MAF and intake help

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Hey guys, my F-1A-94 and House of Boost 4VR 8-rib setup should be here this week. This is going on a 9.8:1 cr 5.3 Boss stroker, shooting for 900+ on e85. I have a few questions regarding MAF and intake:

- Which slot-style MAF should I go with? It will be blow-through.

- What intake tube diameter?

The outlet on the blower is 3" so that will be the ID from blower to intercooler. I'm likely going with the Treadstone TRST9 (as long as they can make me one with a 0 degree top exit instead of the 15 degree it comes with) which has a 3" exit so should I stick with that or step it up to 3.5"? The intake and charge piping will be custom made from aluminum.

Thanks fellas.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I ran a BA5000 in a 3.5" tube with my F1A at 19psi. That was on a 5.3 stroker set up. I ran 3" from the blower to intercooler and 3.5" from the intercooler to intake. I had a flange welded to the 3.5" pipe. With all that I think I hit mid 700's on MAF counts. I had plans for more, but it never happened.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Would I be cutting it close with a BA5000 in a 3.5" tubing at my horsepower goal of 900+?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Would I be cutting it close with a BA5000 in a 3.5" tubing at my horsepower goal of 900+?
I don't think so. Estimates of my last set up were in the mid to high 600's and I had a lot of head room.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Contact your tuner and see what he recommends. And I would look into pro-M air meters they can build pretty much whatever you need.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
If you're going to do a 3" pipe the HPX-E will be your best bet. I have tuned one of these in my buddies Cobra and it was fine.

But I'm telling you this next piece for your own benefit. Before you spend the money on the MAF, the big money high impedance injectors, the money to pay your tuner to dyno tune it etc. I would look into a standalone. You can tune that yourself on the street and run the budget friendly low impedance injectors. I run the Holley HP EFI system and love it. Plus its so much safer. You come out ahead in this situation without question.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
If you're going to do a 3" pipe the HPX-E will be your best bet. I have tuned one of these in my buddies Cobra and it was fine.

But I'm telling you this next piece for your own benefit. Before you spend the money on the MAF, the big money high impedance injectors, the money to pay your tuner to dyno tune it etc. I would look into a standalone. You can tune that yourself on the street and run the budget friendly low impedance injectors. I run the Holley HP EFI system and love it. Plus its so much safer. You come out ahead in this situation without question.

Thanks for the info. I bought ID1300s two years ago so sticking with the stock ECU.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Buddy of mine has a turbo setup with 3.5 piping and a ba500. He makes in the 850-900 whp area and still has room left on the maf. So you'd be fine with that choice. I'd also say that's a good call going 3" from turbo to i/c and 3.5 from i/c to intake. Just make sure you dont put the maf close to a bend.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Wow, sounds like you're getting real close to the finish line, Zach. I'll be looking out for this monster roaming the neighborhood! Lol

Yeah hoping to finally have it running soon! F-1A just shipped so should be here any day, other than an intercooler and a few odds and ends should be ready soon.

Buddy of mine has a turbo setup with 3.5 piping and a ba500. He makes in the 850-900 whp area and still has room left on the maf. So you'd be fine with that choice. I'd also say that's a good call going 3" from turbo to i/c and 3.5 from i/c to intake. Just make sure you dont put the maf close to a bend.

Awesome, thanks for the info. The intake will leave the top of the intercooler and bend over the radiator support before going straight to the throttle body, should be able to place it at least 12'' post-bend.

Users who are viewing this thread