F-150 Engine in 2011 GT

121AK

Established Member
Looking for a replacement longblock for my 2011 GT. I'm noticing that the F-150 motors are almost 50% of the cost of a Mustang motor. I was told I just need to swap the intake and intake cams and I'll be good to go. Is that statement true?

If I pick up a F-150 motor, what all do I need to do to it?

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
no need to swap the intake.. the f150 cams don't have to be changed unless you want the power up top.. you will have to change a couple accessory parts like the oil filter bracket.. personally i'd swap a 18+ manifold, boss 302r cams, and boss 302 valve springs if you're going to swap cams.

121AK

Established Member
no need to swap the intake.. the f150 cams don't have to be changed unless you want the power up top.. you will have to change a couple accessory parts like the oil filter bracket.. personally i'd swap a 18+ manifold, boss 302r cams, and boss 302 valve springs if you're going to swap cams.

I saved the AC compressor, alternator and a few other things from my old motor before I sold it. Still have my Boss 302 intake that I'll put on the new motor as well.

Would the tuning be any different? Can I just throw an F-150 motor in and run my old tune without any issues?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I believe the F-150 motors are about .5 lower compression. My buddy just put one of these engines in his 04 Cobra. Id personally swap the intake cams with the GT ones, you can pick up GT cams brand new dirt cheap. He drove his car naturally aspirated (stock F-150 motor) and it did feel lazy up top with truck cams/truck intake manifold. I wish I could tell you how much power he picked up from the cams alone but he added a TVS so it will be hard to tell. I have read the GT cams will pick up an easy 20-30 wheel.

Install is pretty straight forward, especially with the motor out of the car. Just remember to pick up new hardware for phasers and cam caps. Depending how far you want to go I would consider doing OPG and sprocket at same time.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Are you referring to a used engine? I see brand new 5.0 coyote shortblocks are just over $2k at Tousley Ford. Are your heads still in good shape?

121AK

Established Member
Are you referring to a used engine? I see brand new 5.0 coyote shortblocks are just over $2k at Tousley Ford. Are your heads still in good shape?

I sold my stock longblock so I currently don't have anything to work with. I've seen some decent F-150 engines nearby that are around $2300 for the entire thing, accessories included.

clinton2003

Established Member
f150 engine in first gen is slightly different. different oil pump (lower volume on f150), 10.5:1 vs 11:1 compression, different cams, different intake. if you can swap the cams (boss cams are stupid cheap) and oil pump housing/gears, you only have a half a point compression difference, which isnt much.

if you wanting to stick N/A then i'd take and toss a rotating assembly in the block of that f150. (rods/pistons, then balance, crank is same as gt/boss, but again different balancing)
at that point you could choose what compression you want, opens you up for much higher hp. dont need to do anything to the heads except maybe valve springs (stay away from boss springs, get some real one as the boss ones tend to wear out fast) I have some pac springs that are nice and allow you to keep all cam timing.

my engine in my car is actually an f150 donor engine. sleeved, stock gen 1 heads, with some exhaust valves/springs.

Users who are viewing this thread