experience on in ground pools

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
Guys where looking into a new home we have found a few we like, We live in the Northeast and I'm just not sure of the required maintenance and issues the winter can have on them whether made of concrete or vinyl liner, looking for inputs on people who have them or have work on them, that can give me information on this, I mean its nice to have for the kids but that depends on the added cost, but it wasn't really on our list for a house.

hotcobra03

Established Member
May help

We live far south. Hot

We have a above ground for grandkids

Walmart special
For the price it’s almost a throw away

It’s work and even with small pool chemicals and electric do add up
Along with constant cleaning

This year however worth its weight in gold.

nxhappy

Established Member
electric bill WILL be 20-30% more expensive
you have to brush them once a week
you have to check the chlorine and acid
constantly shocking it with powder
cleaning the filters
cleaning the skimmers
ITS A ****ING BITCH
that being said, I won't ever have an in ground again
Im waaayyyyy happier with a boat and the lake =)

newbie1276

Established Member
I live in mass. and the house we live in now came with a pool it was not the want list but was a bonus . Now that we have it it’s great. Change over to salt system and invest in a dolphin robot and enjoy.... I used to spend hours brushing and vacuuming.
But the dolphin is worth it even at double the price. Drop it in and come back an 90 min later....get a good pool company to work with and budget opening and closing costs.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Better have rainy day fund if things g bad. I knew one friend that dumped s much money int their pool they eventually filled it with dirt and called it a day. In the south it is probably a requirement but up north they are a waste of money in my opinion. Also need them fenced off for insurance and liability purposes.

Geno-04

Established Member
I live in Jersey, I’ve had an in ground gunite pool for 3 years now. I can tell you the best money I have spent is on a dolphin robot!!!! I never had a pool before this, they aren’t that much maintenance! And I very rarely skim the pool, I just empty the skimmer baskets. If you buy a house with a pool it’s definitely worth it in my opinion. Just make sure your have/get a safety cover and a good company to open/close the pool and you’ll be fine. But be where, a lot of pool companies are shady. So find and good one and keep them.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Was going to go in ground and decided to go above ground. Have the $30-40k in the bank to do it but ended up doing a 15x30 with a heater. Built a small deck myself and is absolutely fantastic. I've grown up around above ground & in ground pools so I know the pros and cons of both. A nice above ground setup gives you about 80% of the enjoyment of a I ground for 30-40% of the cost.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Here in FL, there's neighborhoods where literally EVERY single house has one. I'm house browsing and praying to avoid one as coworkers tell me it basically costs a solid $100+ a month be it chemicals yourself or hiring a pool company plus the electricity bill. "Only $100" doesn't sound too bad, but that's still over 10K in 10 years. Plus factor in a pump breaking or something at some point. Maybe having to have it drained and resealed. I REALLY don't want one but I have a feeling I'll be stuck with one.

quad

Established Member
Here in FL, there's neighborhoods where literally EVERY single house has one. I'm house browsing and praying to avoid one as coworkers tell me it basically costs a solid $100+ a month be it chemicals yourself or hiring a pool company plus the electricity bill. "Only $100" doesn't sound too bad, but that's still over 10K in 10 years. Plus factor in a pump breaking or something at some point. Maybe having to have it drained and resealed. I REALLY don't want one but I have a feeling I'll be stuck with one.
How common are snakes in those pools? My father-in law keeps telling me about all the critters sailing / running / flying around in Florida lol!

Kevins89notch

Established Member
How common are snakes in those pools? My father-in law keeps telling me about all the critters sailing / running / flying around in Florida lol!

Every pool in central FL is screened in like this, so there's no bugs, snakes, etc at all, unless you get a rip in a screen. Average section to replace is like $50 from countless fixit type local guys.

33b0b826a663f9ebaec87305e5a6edf6l-m2681158952xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Blown 89

Established Member
People that complain about pool maintenance don't know what they're doing.

Energy efficient pump's sip energy compared to old pump's. Don't overdo the chemicals and add them at the right time of day. Stay on top of maintenance and chemicals are both cheap and simple....neglect the pool and it becomes an expensive nightmare. Get rid of plants that dump crap in the pool or dump the skimmer a little more (it literally takes 10 seconds). Get a good crawler cleaner.

My maintenance is basically check the skimmer once a week, add chlorine tablets once in a while, and backwash a few times a year. The poolfernugen crawler takes care of the rest.

I really don't get how people's pools are so difficult.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
There's no better way to ruin the value of a house than by putting in a pool.
Not here as mentioned above.

Energy efficient pump's sip energy compared to old pump's. Don't overdo the chemicals and add them at the right time of day. Stay on top of maintenance and chemicals are both cheap and simple....neglect the pool and it becomes an expensive nightmare. Get rid of plants that dump crap in the pool or dump the skimmer a little more (it literally takes 10 seconds). Get a good crawler cleaner.

My maintenance is basically check the skimmer once a week, add chlorine tablets once in a while, and backwash a few times a year. The poolfernugen crawler takes care of the rest.

Correct, and the salt systems make it easier. It's also great having the enclosures we have here.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Where is @03cobra#694 ? Didn't he work with salt water pool systems for a living?

I was always anti pool, having to maintain, added utilities cost, extra insurance, etc... Then my fiancee said if we had a pool she'd skinnydip every day. Needless to say, every home I own will have a pool

*edit*
speak of the devil and he shall appear, 03 posted seconds before I did

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
We lived in the DC area and dad bought a house with an in ground pool. Upper northe East they are just not worth it IMHO. It never got used as much as you think it will. Make sure it complies with the state and local laws. Check the security of the fence around it and be sure you know how much your homeowners insurance I’d going to be affected. Lawsuit payout can get expensive if someone gets hurt or drowns invited in or not. Dad finally drained his and built a workshop over it.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Where is @03cobra#694 ? Didn't he work with salt water pool systems for a living?

I was always anti pool, having to maintain, added utilities cost, extra insurance, etc... Then my fiancee said if we had a pool she'd skinnydip every day. Needless to say, every home I own will have a pool

*edit*
speak of the devil and he shall appear, 03 posted seconds before I did
Lol. I have knowledge of the entire pool industry here in my area. Up there, another animal I think.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
If I were to install an in-ground pool in Colorado, I’d build a pool house around it. I’m sure there are cheaper options like a retractable pool cover......

Adower

Established Member

I agree. I take maybe 15 min a week max to upkeep our pool and it’s a pretty large one at 25x40ft. Unless we have had windy days I check the simmer once a week. I buy a 25 lb Box of chlorine and it lasts all summer keeping the pool a 2ppm chlorine.

Get a good suction side cleaner or robot cleaner and you practically don’t ever have to do anything cleaning wise

OX1

Established Member
Don't put one in if you have large oaks like I did. Virtually every afternoon in Jersey in the summer, was the washout that ripped large green leaves off the trees and deposited them on the pool bottom. Too big and numerous for auto cleaners.

I also spent a lot of time draining water out after those storms, only to forget and drain it down to the skimmer, then fill it back and forget that and overfilled. Rinse and repeat.

Anyway, the most fun I probably had with it was 4 wheelin in the hole, after I ripped it out.
(old ass crappy low quality vids, best to minimize down to 1/4 screen)

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/POOL/WHEELIN/MOV02449.MPG
http://luxjo.supermotors.net/POOL/WHEELIN/MOV02447.MPG

Users who are viewing this thread