Expansion Tank Removal w/ EF Headmod

Sagittaria

Established Member
Want to change your supercharger belt? Have a turbo? Want to do ANYTHING to the front of the motor? When you do these things do you want to attack that stupid expansion tank?

20120319_200234.jpg

This is more of an informational than a how to. Several people have done similar things but there was no real info on it. The mod is quite simple and just involves a little thinking if you want to deviate from this. It often is cheaper than buying it from a company... who also pieces together components.

Background: The sn95s use an expansion tank type system in where a "pocket" of air is maintained in the expansion tank. Any significant changes in pressure cause the air to compress absorbing the shock... This pocket's pressure is maintained by the filler cap. A neat little system. The PROBLEM is that it it's in a bad spot... and it's difficult to relocate in our limited engine bay. It has to be at least higher than the radiator. Oh, and it gets in the way big time for proper heat extraction from our hood vents.

Solution: Go back to the standard overflow pressure cap with overflow tank. This uses a tank with pretty much a "straw" going through it. Any changes in pressure cause air to bleed off while sucking back water during cool down etc. The overflow tank can be placed anywhere.

The catch: The filler/cap needs to be at the highest point of the system.

I, and others, already have the evenflow gen 2 mod. Since that is already (nearly) at the highest point of the system (the coolant crossover, with the cursed 1/4" drive fill cap) and I didn't want to molest my crossover - I just used that. I decided to order the following parts.

Meziere Wn0012 Weld in filler cap
16 psi Radiator cap of your choice
Moroso overflow tank (63660)
1/4" line adaptors (1/8" male to 1/4" bung for filler, 90 deg 3/8" adaptor, 3/8 male to 1/4" bung)
3/4"(? Guesstimating. I have all kinds of vacuum caps laying around) Vacuum cap to block off former expansion tank hose
1/4" hose
clamps
Bolts to mount overflow tank somewhere.

I had a buddy weld the filler peice in. I chose to have it sit at an angle to be level due to the radiator hose going in at an angle. If you have the "T" sitting right against the crossover, level, you probably won't need to do this.

20120319_194842.jpg

20120319_194849.jpg

It isn't finished yet. I'll update the thread later when I figure out where I want the overflow tank.

20120319_194947.jpg

20120319_194954.jpg

Notes:
If you don't have the evenflo kit. You can use something like this
Moroso 63730 Moroso Radiator Hose Fillers and Drains instead.The upper radiator hose is 1.5" ID. You could also splice into your crossover somewhere.

Last edited:

Sagittaria

Established Member
Decided on right side inner fender mount. Lower is further supported by intercooler lines. That is the Jabsco pump sitting in the background.

20120324_153249.jpg

Routing of overflow line and how it's bolted up.

20120324_163635.jpg

Finished. Had to reroute my head mod hose so it'll be further below the cap.

20120324_174607.jpg

Works well - no issues as far as temps go. Propbably the best mod I ever did... there is so much more ROOM!

keith89

Established Member
I've been thinking about doing this for a while but i might use the crossover plug instead. What did you do to plug the line that originally connected to the overflow tank?

Sagittaria

Established Member
There were two lines. A main line underneath which gets a 3/4 plug at the thermostat housing. And a radiator blender that runs to the top of the tank. This gets plugged with another smaller vacuum cap.

Im not sure of the sizes because i bought a vacuum cap value pack. Make sure you use hose clamps obviously.

keith89

Established Member
There were two lines. A main line underneath which gets a 3/4 plug at the thermostat housing. And a radiator blender that runs to the top of the tank. This gets plugged with another smaller vacuum cap.

Im not sure of the sizes because i bought a vacuum cap value pack. Make sure you use hose clamps obviously.

That's what i was thinking. Thanks! :beer:
I'm installing that same jabsco pump in my trunk next to my IC tank.

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
For those who have no Evans gen mod would that Moroso part and a over flow tank be all that's needed to do this? Really want to do his mod simple clean!

Sagittaria

Established Member
Local vatozone actually sitting out in the nick nack aisle with hose clamps and such. I never measured it as I had several value packs laying around though so it may not be 3/4 just as a warning.

Users who are viewing this thread