Exhaust too loud. Really.

///Bruce

///Bruce
Established Member
Hey guys. I'm south of Houston: Pearland. My showcase shows an 09 Red with stripe delete. Manual. Black stock interior.

My son convinced my wife to buy me Kooks headers and H-pipe. Then straight out through a pair of GT500KR mufflers. She's been tuned to 640 at the fly. When I start it up, the rain clouds break up on a rainy day, branches fall from trees, bras unslap, kittens and children flee screaming, dogs shit. Neighbors cringe.

NOTE: I have personally apologied to all my neighbors before I came home with it.

I don't want to drop power. Any ideas on how to tune down the dB level?

Last edited:

///Bruce

///Bruce
Established Member
I talked to an old guy a few weeks ago (and I'm 65...). He said the women will get pissed but the guys are envious. But torque that bad boy up against a high wall with the windows down and I swear...NASCAR. It can hurt the ears. But, it's so damned intoxicating. The forward thrust and the sounds! Nothing like it.

Then reality sinks in and I remember where I'm at. Public roads. Gotts find me a helmet and go down 288 to the track and just play for a little while.

fullboogie

Established Member
If that H pipe is catless, you may want to install one with cats. It will quiet it down a good bit.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
^^^+1, agreed, on the H pipe, if not, you will just need to change the axle backs to either stock or a more chambered muffler. the Oval design of the KR muffler (borla stinger, pypes bomb, magnapack) etc all will scream and pop and kill the neighbors as you say.

So either get a set of stock mufflers on there, add resonators or cats on the h pipe, and call it a day.

I had Kooks Long Tubes, Hi flow catted x and stock axleback and it was very tame until i goosed it, then i switched to borla stingers and they were quite loud.

Nasty500

Banned
I took mine off at the axle and just ran nothing for about 4 days and had to take it to a mufflers shop. It was just insanely loud.

Venom07

Established Member
Even though I don't have long tubes yet, I ran magnapacks with an o/r x-pipe and it was starting to get annoying after a while. Just switched to corsa ultimate touring axle back and couldn't have been happier. These are quiet when just cruising but when on the WOT, it gets loud. A great compromise IMO. Highly recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread