exhaust systems

44shelby

Established Member
So who here has experimented with multiple exhaust's on the 13/14 platform? I have a full stainless works system and the damn thing is just too loud. I was thinking about having a local fab shop build me a mid muffler style exhaust system. If that wont work then ill resort to a stock muffler set up and weld some resonators in the factory over axles.

raustin0017

Established Member
Too many combos out there. I run ARH long tubes, catted H-pipe through the stock mufflers. To me it is just about perfect. If I want it louder I just open up the QTP cutouts with my fancy remote control button and let it rip.

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
From every video i have heard they just don't seem to do it for me. A lot of exhaust systems for the 13/14 gt500's just sound sloppy.
I really enjoyed the O/R H pipe with factory cat back. But I bought magnaflow competition axle backs with it now. 2k and 2700 sucks.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
From every video i have heard they just don't seem to do it for me. A lot of exhaust systems for the 13/14 gt500's just sound sloppy.

The S-Type is slightly louder than stock at idle, but much louder at WOT. The best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
13-14 OA pipes from a GT have a resonator already included.

I've run Borla S and they were good. Slightly more volume when you stand on them but I think possibly quieter at idle. I ran Borla Super Snakes and they droned horribly. Currently I have Ford Racing and love them. Raspy, a little more volume, no drone.

For comparison, the rest of my exhaust is stock.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, Kooks " green " catted X pipe, stock mufflers.
Live in an inspection state & need to be able to sit next to a LEO @ a stop light & not get a ticket.
Putting your foot in it makes all the noise I need !!

44shelby

Established Member
well after more research my stainless works catback is for sale lol. Not that this the place for it but my gen2r is for sale as well.

efnfast

Established Member
o/r h + stock cat-back = good bark but not loud enough

o/r h + magnaflow competition catback = wicked decel popping; sounds awesome above 3.5k rpm, sounds like a broken pick-up truck under 3.5k rpm; you have to feather the gas pedal when cruising otherwise massive drone; had constant head-aches from it when driving (something about the pitch did not agree with my ears)

o/r h + corsa extremes = sounds fantastic at all rpm; reasonable amount of decel popping; no head-aches; virtually no drone

I wish I could combine the decel popping from the mangaflow competition (straight pipes) with the tone of the corsa extremes but at the end of the day driving it with the magnaflow competitions was not fun after more than 5 minutes.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
If a scientific study were conducted, I think the highest ranked popular exhaust combo would easily be
1. Headers 2. O/R H Pipe 3. Stock mufflers

13-14 OA pipes from a GT have a resonator already included.

To Toms point here, yes the 13-14 OTA pipes on GT's do have a factory resonator.

I was awake staring at the ceiling fan last night;

Ford specs with these resonators were probably adhered to withstand stockish power levels of a GT, not a Shelby GT500. Makes you wonder why they didn't install them OEM on Shelbys?

Sort of the comparison between catalytic converters. Brand X makes a Hi flow H Pipe, but than Brand X also makes another Hi Flow H pipe that is considered "green". The reason for the differences in not only price and functionality is the internal metal composition. A "green" mid pipe will hold up under hotter conditions.

At this point, I'm looking to swap out OTA pipes simply for the fact mentioned earlier.

If nothing else, I'll know first hand how much, if any, those factory resonators aided in sound

dale.baker

Established Member
If a scientific study were conducted, I think the highest ranked popular exhaust combo would easily be
1. Headers 2. O/R H Pipe 3. Stock mufflers

I agree. Corsa's, ORH, No Cats, sounded like a top fuel dragster. Annoyingly loud and will likely cause cash to be removed from your wallet by LEO!!! Van recommended putting the stock exhausts back on and they sound great at all RPM levels with no drone. The stock ones have been back on the car for 4+ years-no complaints.

To Toms point here, yes the 13-14 OTA pipes on GT's do have a factory resonator.

Ford specs with these resonators were probably adhered to withstand stockish power levels of a GT, not a Shelby GT500. Makes you wonder why they didn't install them OEM on Shelbys?

Sort of the comparison between catalytic converters. Brand X makes a Hi flow H Pipe, but than Brand X also makes another Hi Flow H pipe that is considered "green". The reason for the differences in not only price and functionality is the internal metal composition. A "green" mid pipe will hold up under hotter conditions.

At this point, I'm looking to swap out OTA pipes simply for the fact mentioned earlier.

If nothing else, I'll know first hand how much, if any, those factory resonators aided in sound

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member

If nothing else, I'll know first hand how much, if any, those factory resonators aided in sound[/QUOTE]

I still need to order the GT pipes, but I am curious to look down into the resonators and see how restrictive they look. The reason I want to try them is because of your car and how you don't have a drone with the SS exhaust. I tried the SS with an otherwise OEM exhaust and the drone was horrible. With these, I hope it takes the edge off.

Ford spends substantial funds on getting the "right sound" for their vehicles. I am wondering if they removed the resonators to make the Shelby a little more edgy with the debut of the dual exhaust and the 662 hp . I am hoping they are minimally restrictive for performance but get rid of my drone.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread