exhaust sound help.

einehund

Established Member
I know everyone has thier personal preferences but i'm looking for some advice. I love the tone of my 2010 exhaust, but want more volume. I bought an MRT catless H pipe and have had it on for a month. The volume is perfect. At part throttle the only hint that something is different is a stronger rumble. At wide open throttle, i can barely hear my pullied m122. On downshifts it has an amazing pop and crackle.

My issue come with the tone: it seems to have moved up at least half an octave. It is just too high pitched for taste. I tried staying with an H-pipe to keep the lower tone, but honestly, the stainless steel's thinner walls have to have a higher resonant frequency than the thicker OEM steel.

I have contemplated buying another OEM H pipe and just punching out the catalytic converters. Are there any other suggestions? I have watched about a billion youtube videos but i haven't actually heard any in person. I was trying to avoid the costs of long tubes, but i'm at the point that i may have to suck up those costs. I am, however, set on keeping my stock mufflers as i find aftermarket mufflers also tend to move the sound up in pitch.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
What axle backs do you have? They have more to do with the tone then anything else. My 08 has a Lethal OR H with Borla Tourings out back and to me it is perfect. But then again I am half deaf so probably could not tell the different frequencies anyway.

SirShaun

Established Member
I can only provide experience on a race car loud setup.

Lethal H + Flowmaster Outlaw Axlebacks.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Lethal H and FRPP sports on my ride. Sounds great.

You're not even interested in trying out other mufflers? I would try Borla Touring. Those with an ORH are a very popular combo

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
IMO, the stock mufflers sound better than any aftermarket muffler out there. I have a set of Corsa Sport on mine. They don't sound as good as stock, just louder.

einehund

Established Member
IMO, the stock mufflers sound better than any aftermarket muffler out there. I have a set of Corsa Sport on mine. They don't sound as good as stock, just louder.
I'm in this boat. I've heard plenty of axel backs, and i just am not a fan of the tone they make. Stock cans sound better to me, i was just trying to increase the volume of the stock tone.

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member

I have to agree with this. There is no shortage of different sounding mustangs out there with all sorts of exhaust part combinations, but IMO the 2014 GT500 sounds beautiful in stock form (I know you said you have a 2010 so this may not apply???). I recently installed Ford Racing mufflers because I wanted something as close to stock sounding as possible but just a tad louder and more aggressive and throaty...I think I nailed it with that change alone- the rest of my exhaust is stock and I have no plans to change that. People are impressed how good it sounds as is- I got compliments before the muffler swap but now I get even more already.

Users who are viewing this thread