Exhaust Question - Rolled Tips?

JR_Cobra

Established Member
I am planning to replace the catback on my 03 Cobra. I will be leaving the stock H-pipe and want a catback that is tame during idle and cruising, but muscular (but not real loud) when I get one it. I've heard Bassani is a good option, but have never heard one live.

I would also like rolled tips. I really like the look.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!!

snakebite03

Established Member
go to
www.mustangexhaust.com
when it comes exhaust questions,then go to their audio files
(click and pick) but for A not so loud normal drive,but A decent WOT sound go Magnaflow or Blowmaster Delta's. Bassani and Borla Stinger have A real Muscle Car sound and maybe too LOUD for YOU :beer:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Bassani has removable baffles. It's not super loud with the baffles in. Borla Stingers have rolled tips but are LOUD. Steeda also sells quieter Borla exhaust.

Bingo13

Established Member
The Steeda (Borla) or Magnaflow catback would be a good choice. Amazon Racing will be offering the standard Borla catback with the Stinger tips shortly if they are not already doing it. Magnaflow offers a variety of rolled tips also. I went with the 4" rolled tips on mine.

NWUCIT

Established Member
Bingo13,

Do the MagnaFlow rolled tips come with the rod adjustment bracket attached (like the regular tips have)....do you simply remove the standard tips and install the rolled ones or is some welding required to install a rod bracket?

Also, where did you get yours...they look great. Thanks!

JR_Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by NWUCIT
Bingo13,

...where did you get yours...they look great. Thanks!

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Those tips look great! Where did you get them?

Thanks!!!

stangfreak

Established Member
i posted this many times. i have the borla stinger on my cobra and in love with it, i have never seen such amazing tips before. get the stinger trust me.

Hunter6

Established Member
Bingo13,

Do the MagnaFlow rolled tips come with the rod adjustment bracket attached (like the regular tips have)....do you simply remove the standard tips and install the rolled ones or is some welding required to install a rod bracket?

Great question...I would like to know as well!

Bingo13

Established Member
Bingo13,

The tips require the rods to be welded on. I prefer this as the shop was able to hide them on the top position.

The catback can be ordered with or without the rolled tips. I actually did the magnaflow mufflers with a custom pipe job and had the tips installed at that time. The rolled tips come in various diameters (3~4") and lengths (8~14").

I had a local custom shop (Kinney's Muffler) do the work. They specialize in custom work on muscle or import cars/trucks.

I had the FR500 style rear x design integrated into the system. This probably reduced the interior drone by about 80% compared to the previous magnaflow catback system. I had a small increase on the dyno also. :thumbsup:

Hunter6

Established Member
Bingo,

What do you have in front of the catback? How much did the custom job cost? I have the magnaflow x and catback and the drone beats my ass. What do you recommend as a fix?

DPS

Established Member
Originally posted by Hunter6
Bingo,

What do you have in front of the catback? How much did the custom job cost? I have the magnaflow x and catback and the drone beats my ass. What do you recommend as a fix?

What he said.

:beer:

JR_Cobra

Established Member
I'm a novice at this stuff. It seems the more I read or talk to "shop guys", the more confused I get. One person tells me Stingers are quiet and Bassanis are loud. The next says the opposite. I read that Magnaflows are too quiet and then I read that they drone like crazy. AARRRGGG!!

I love the tips that Bingo13 has. If I could get something like that with sound that's civilized when cruising and a little more muscular than stock when I get on it, I would be a happy camper. Who do I call? What do I ask for?

Can someone point me to a reputable dealer in the Dallas area where I can get sound (!) advice? Is that the Kenny's Muffler in Bedford?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by Hunter6
Bingo,

I have the Magnaflow X in front with cats. I had the Magnaflow catback in the rear last year and even with the packed baffles the drone/noise was an issue with me. I tried a few of other exhaust systems (Stinger/FR500/Bassani) but decided to go back to the Magnaflow mufflers as I liked the sound. I rode in a car with the stock H and the Magnaflow catback and it had very little drone and the noise was slightly less than the x-pipe cars.
The FR500 had a great sound but became too quiet for me and after hearing the mufflers on a car without the rear x design it was almost as loud as the Magnaflow system but still lacked a certain punch at WOT.
The FR500 did not have a drone issue with the stock h but did have a drone with the catted x but the interior volume was almost like stock at cruise.
I decided to try the same principal with the Magnaflow catback. In my opinion the drone has been reduced about 80% while still retaining the Magnaflow sound. It will still drone around 1950rpm but it is liveable now for medium periods and with a gear/speed change it disappears quickly. The interior volume at cruise and off throttle is less now also. In fact at 65mph in fifth I can have the radio volume at 4 without an issue. Sound is very subjective but it has made a big difference to my ears on this system. Also, the same shop is recommending doing their custom X as they move the x back a little and smooth the crossover. I have rode in a car with this setup (carsound cats/magnaflow mufflers) and the drone/volume is less than the Magnaflow retail setup. The standard Borla catback with a stock H probably drones (very little) the least of all the aftermarket setups I have heard to date.
The tips/mufflers/pipe/x cost about $485 installed.
Have you tried the packed baffles yet, they helped several people with the drone. Going back to the stock H also helps a great deal. This "X" solution helped me but without hearing it in person it is hard to say if the slight drone that is left would still be acceptable.

Last edited:

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by JR_Cobra

Can someone point me to a reputable dealer in the Dallas area where I can get sound (!) advice? Is that the Kenny's Muffler in Bedford?

Thanks!!

Go to Kinney's muffler shop in Bedford, ask for Kirk and tell him what you want. He has an incredible surround sound system with clips of several exhaust systems on the '03 Cobra you can hear. Take a ride in some local '03s and see what sound you like. It is a very subjective process. One person will tell you a system is quiet and has very little drone when 10 others in the same car will complain about both. ;-)

DPS

Established Member
Bingo13, Thank you for the reply. I wonder if your shop in texas would be willing to ship a setup to Indiana??? I don't have any shop here that I know of with the experience and I don't want to be someones experiment. Also, do you think the catted X is worth any REAL gains or would you just put the stock H back in place to do away with some of the drone. Thanks again.:)

JR_Cobra

Established Member
Bingo

Thanks for the help. Kenny's is closed on Monday, so I'm going over to the "Best Little Muffler Shop in Texas" in Lewisville today and I'll ride over to Kenny's tomorrow.

Thanks again!!
Jeff

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by DPS
Bingo13, Thank you for the reply. I wonder if your shop in texas would be willing to ship a setup to Indiana??? I don't have any shop here that I know of with the experience and I don't want to be someones experiment. Also, do you think the catted X is worth any REAL gains or would you just put the stock H back in place to do away with some of the drone. Thanks again.:)

I found the catted X to have true gains once I installed the lower pulley. On the dyno the differences were very small (about 3~5rwhp on average) but I picked up a solid mph+ at the track and the car seems to pull a little harder on the top end. I would try the stock h pipe before trying a custom solution. JT is running 11.4s with the stock H and the Borla catback. I think the flow difference between the two units is minimal until you get above 13lbs of boost.
I have no idea if Kirk would ship a custom unit or not, but you can call and check it out - Toll Free 877-851-4356.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Amazon Racing will be offering the standard Borla catback with the Stinger tips shortly Amazon Racing will be offering the standard Borla catback with the Stinger tips shortly

Is this tru and is it available yet?

Users who are viewing this thread