Exhaust Q

WhatV8

Established Member
Last week my exhaust system sprung a leak. I was happy, since I could now easily justify an aftermarket system and not worry about effecting my warranty (that ran out a few months ago). :D

I jacked up the 'ol Tour for a peek. It sounded like the leak was from up by the engine, so I started there. Hmmm, y-pipe looks ok, cats are good...why do I have a gasket hanging out of the cat to cat-back flange?? I slide back to the flange to quickly notice that there are no nuts on the backside of the joint, WTF?? Is this this joint riveted permanantly or what, no it isn't. The ends of both of the studs broke off, some time ago based on the rust on the end of them and the nuts were MIA, doh! It is no wonder the gasket couldn't hang tight. Damn, I can easily fix this w/o a new exhaust. :sad

Well, let's just say that it wasn't that easy of a fix. This is only because it took me a good 45 minutes with a hammer, torch and other bench items to get the damn pressed in studs out of the converter pipe. What I would not have given to have had a benchtop press. Anyway a new Ford gasket and two new SS bolts & nuts and I was on my way quietly again.

Has anyone else ran into these studs breaking on ya?? Just wondering since it was strange that both popped. Guess someone didn't check the torque on the air wrench that put the nuts on that day at the plant. Later.

WhatV8

Established Member
Just another bit of info, my SVT has just over 32K and 3 years on the clock. All the pipes are in decent shape, the flange where the leak occured was rusted quite a bit. I wonder if the build-up of rust inbetween the flanges expanded the joint enough to pop the bolts.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Then again you haven't driven your car in what 3months?
Originally posted by sweetsvt99
I have 47k and no problems with the exaust yet.
:xxplode:

jetace

I noticed that I was missing one when I get rid of the resonator as my car was still on the lift. I figured that I would just replace the whole thing with a new Y pipe from the sho shop. I should have enough money saved by the time the next one falls off. BTW my car only had 23k on it.:idea: :D

Users who are viewing this thread