exhaust manifold help

myslowstang

Established Member
I was trying to install a mid-pipe in my Cobra and I ended up snapping a bolt off of the exhaust manifold. I'm having a really hard time removing the rest of the bolt. Are the bolts in the manifold screw in or pressed in?

Any ideas on how I can get the stud out without dropping the motor?

brokenheaderbolt.png

myslowstang

Established Member
FYI that's not the actually pic of the manifold... I'm just trying to better explain what I'm talking about.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
from the look of the end of the bolt... they look like studs that are screwed in

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
They are screwed in. Or in your case broke in. Sorry. Good luck.

I think its easier to drop the K member than pull motor out. while you are there put headers on because you will never want to do it again.

myslowstang

Established Member
Well I'm just gonna face the fact that I'm gonna have to drop the k-member and remove the manifold. There is no way I'm gonna do all this work just to put the stock manifolds back in. I just ordered some new headers. :)
Thanks for the help

hotcobra03

Established Member
Well I'm just gonna face the fact that I'm gonna have to drop the k-member and remove the manifold. There is no way I'm gonna do all this work just to put the stock manifolds back in. I just ordered some new headers. :)
Thanks for the help

pulling the stock manifold is very easy...ive got bbk lt headers and have no problem with them...without pulling k member...on ground no lift

postalbunny

Established Member
I don't think there is enough room for any manipulation there... if you could tac weld a bolt onto it to get at grip that would work, but no room.

If it ends up being rusted out, heat it with a blow torch; then hold a wax candle to it and let it suck the wax up. makes getting rusted bolts out much easier.

svtaddict

Established Member
that happened to me on my longtubes i ground the stud on both sides so it was flat and used some vice grips to turn it i couldnt turn past a certain point with the vice grips so i took a thick peice of metal and ground a slot in it the same thickness as the flat stud and hit it with a hammer and loosened it right up dont forget the penatrant hehe

va boy

Established Member
If it's snapped flush you don't have much option other than to pull the manifold. If you plan on doing that, go ahead and soak the manifold to head bolts with some PB Blaster, or something like that and let them sit for a day before you tackle them. Good luck.

Anabolic

Banned
if you still have a nub, you should be able to throw some vice grips on there

so take a toruch, heat the manifold up and back the studd out with the vice grips when manifold is red hot then thread match a new stud

easy work

if it broke flush you could probably just weld a new stud on as a temp until you can replace the manifold or upgrade to headers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread