Exhaust Leak

r1252

Established Member
I've got a 2003 Cobra, in which I just installed a Magnaflow X-Pipe & Cat -back system. The install went great except for one problem. I've got an exhaust leak where the X-Pipe & stock manifold connect. I noticed that the 2 manifold studs had a shoulder on them just above where the thread stops on the studs. There seems to be about a 1/8 inch gap from the top of the flange to the bottom of the manifold. I've taken it down a couple of times to make sure it is seated properly, but it still leaks. I'm wondering if the shoulder on these studs is the problem. I,ve never seen studs like these. Anyone else encounter this problem? The stock flange looks like the Magnaflow flange.

tv's 03

Established Member
Yep, been a problem since my 99 cobra on the drivers side. You can remove the studs from the manifold and use a grinder to grind the lip off. This will cause the flange to slip over the stud and give you more bite to get rid of the leak. I actually fabbed a spacer on mine pipe between the slip flange and the flared part of the pipe pipe so when it tightened to the stud lip it pulled the pipe closer to seal. Seems to work well also.

Tsniper651

Established Member
Just installed mine yesterday and had the same problem. I used the extra nut as a jam nut and backed the studs out. After grinding the flange off the studs everything seated properly.

bRa_DeN

#5449/8394
Established Member
I just installed an slp catted x on my 03 cobra and had the same problem. I wound up replacing all the manifold studs and no more leak. I had a stud or two that was trying to back itself out when we were taking the factory exhaust off.

trendkilllx

Established Member
DO not forget about the gasket that is supposed to be on the passenger side between the hpipe and manifold. I would use a new one also.

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
Go to NAPA and purchase #600-1819 exhaust manifold stud kit. That will cure your exhaust leak.

HOG

Established Member
Just had a maggy catted x and catback installed today and have a leak aswell. Kinda pisses me off. Where can I get a new gasket exhaust for the exhaust manifold? Are these available at most auto parts stores?

trendkilllx

Established Member
You have to get the part from ford so any ford dealer should have it. I could not get it at Kragens or Autozone. I do not have the part number off hand but they should be able to find it for you.

1SVT&1GT

Established Member
BUMP!!!!!

Okay, search option utilized here....I have put in my Magnaflow x-pipe and it is leaking on the drivers side manifold.(where the x-pipe connects) So I have gotten the NAPA kit and am going to take factory studs out. Question: Are they threaded all the way in or are they just threaded most of the way? Trying to find out if I will have back it all the way out with the wrench/socket. Thanks for the help.

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
They are threaded all the way, just like the Napa studs. I would suggest spraying some WD40 or equivalent on the studs and let it set for while. Then double nut, and back them out.

99FiveOh

Established Member
Gonna bump this thread for awesome information! I too am singing the "driver side exhaust leak" blues after installing my new UPR X pipe. I used some copper RTV so it took a day to start leaking. Is there room in there to get a wrench on one of the nuts to jamb them together?

Users who are viewing this thread