exhaust leak after Header install

98Vobra

Established Member
Well I putt a set of Bassani Mid leangth headers on my 1998 Cobra and the passenger side has a leak :mj: We tightened it down today and it was fine for about 20 min then it lossened up again i guess because it started leaking. It is the 2nd to last rear most tube and you can see carbon on the head where it is leaking. What do I do? It is a pain in the ass to tighten. Do I need different bolts? More lock tight? I used the bolts and gaskets that came with the headers, every other one looks great. Any Ideas?

duane v

Established Member
98Vobra said:
I used the bolts and gaskets that came with the headers, every other one looks great. Any Ideas?
Thats the mistake, you used the supplied gaskets, always use the ford ones..I also stayed with the ford stud and nut combo..better clamping force and those nuts dont move once you get them snugged down...DA snake boy!!

98Vobra

Established Member
Thanks, I will put the old bolt back on and see if it works, But the gasket for the bassani fits into each tube, the tubes are made to fit the gasket in them. So I don't think I could use the old gaskets. Also will this hurt my car at all haveing a small leak? Thanks again

95cobby

Established Member
98Vobra said:
Thanks, I will put the old bolt back on and see if it works, But the gasket for the bassani fits into each tube, the tubes are made to fit the gasket in them. So I don't think I could use the old gaskets. Also will this hurt my car at all haveing a small leak? Thanks again

Don't reuse the old gaskets. Goto Ford and get a new set. I would want to fix that leak if it was my car and I bet it will hurt your car in the longrun.

CANiHaveGasCash

Established Member
i used a copper gasket instead of the crappy paper ones that came with mine. the factory bolts did not fit so I had to use the bolts supplied. but those fuggers keep coming loose. so I just retighten them every two weeks. I'm trying to find a super high temp lock tight type deal

duane v

Established Member
CANiHaveGasCash said:
i used a copper gasket instead of the crappy paper ones that came with mine. the factory bolts did not fit so I had to use the bolts supplied. but those fuggers keep coming loose. so I just retighten them every two weeks. I'm trying to find a super high temp lock tight type deal
the trick is installing both of the nuts while the connector is still lose and tighten them equally, although if memory serves me correct there are a couple of banks you have to use the supplied bolts...Hopefully youll just have to go in and re-snug the header bolts down while the heads are warm, I would try that before having to re-install new ford gaskets...**** that...DA snake boy!!!

CY98Cobra

Established Member
i reused my old gaskets and studs where possible. where there wasnt clearance for the studs i used the supplied bolts. i also used the high temp/strength loc-tite. i havent had any leaks and probably couldnt remove the headers if i wanted to:)

Users who are viewing this thread