Exhaust Law in Florida?

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
Today i was driving normally in my GT with just a catback and i was pulled over, the officer told me my car was way too loud and he said that i could possibly get a ticket if i kept it that way......

the area was in belle isle wich is a very small city outside of orlando, as far as i know it we don't have emmisions testing here in orlando and for florida for that matter and i am just puzzled as why i got pulled over?

one person i am looking forward to hearing from is fordsvtfan since he is a floridian aswell but i'm looking for any info from anyone.....

my truck has basically straight pipes and i have never been pulled over for its exhaust.....and it is 1000x louder than my mustang!!!

I did not recieve a ticket but he verbally warned me to quite it down? does that still stand?

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
(5) NOISE ABATEMENT EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS.--

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

This is not a gray area. There is no fighting this. You must adhere to these guidelines or you are liable for a ticket. If your exhaust is aftermarket and even .0000001dB louder than stock you are liable for a ticket. If you are missing a part of your exhaust system you are liable for a ticket. Shops, by state law, are not to equip your car with an aftermarket muffler which increases your exhaust noise for operation on the public roadways. Replacement exhaust components must be OEM or aftermarket and as quiet as OEM.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
plus even though Florida doesn't have emissions doesn't mean that Federal laws don't apply.

Just keep the RPM's low. I only got pulled once for loud exhaust and thats cuz I ran to an exhaust shop open X-pipe and let the car rev down from 7K.

Gixx1300R

Established Member
Orange County has a Noise Ordinance. You cant exceed a certain decible during the day or night. I'm guessing it was a Orange County deputy that pulled you over.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Today i was driving normally in my GT with just a catback and i was pulled over, the officer told me my car was way too loud and he said that i could possibly get a ticket if i kept it that way......

the area was in belle isle wich is a very small city outside of orlando, as far as i know it we don't have emmisions testing here in orlando and for florida for that matter and i am just puzzled as why i got pulled over?

one person i am looking forward to hearing from is fordsvtfan since he is a floridian aswell but i'm looking for any info from anyone.....

my truck has basically straight pipes and i have never been pulled over for its exhaust.....and it is 1000x louder than my mustang!!!

I did not recieve a ticket but he verbally warned me to quite it down? does that still stand?

It does still stand. See the statute noted below.

(5) NOISE ABATEMENT EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS.--

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Also, even though almost every county in Florida does not have mandatory auto inspection that does not mean you arent subject to individual inspection for safety equipment and statutory compliance when stopped.

ayo232

Established Member
I don't ever see them pulling over Harley bikes, which you can hear for miles :dw:

Harley's are loud from the factory which essentially let's the owner off the hook. Yes, there are some with louder pipes that should get pulled over and some do.

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
Orange County has a Noise Ordinance. You cant exceed a certain decible during the day or night. I'm guessing it was a Orange County deputy that pulled you over.

no the local sherriff nor orlando police department have ever given me problems, it was belle isle police.....i even stated that in the original post

txyaloo

Established Member
motorcycles are aloud to have loud exhaust......they have them loud so that way distracted drivers can hear them and know that they are there.

:lol: I'd love to see you post the statute that exempts motorcycle's from noise and emissions laws.

olefafl

Established Member
:lol: I'd love to see you post the statute that exempts motorcycle's from noise and emissions laws.

I found this in about 5min. using Google.

MAXIMUM NOISE LEVELS FOR MOTORCYCLES AND OTHER VEHICLES

The maximum permissible noise level for a motorcycle manufactured on or after January 1, 1979 ranges from 78 dB to 84 dB, depending on the motorcycle’s speed and the road surface on which it travels. This is louder than the maximum permissible noise level for passenger cars manufactured during the same period (72 dB to 81 dB), but quieter than the maximum permissible noise levels for buses (83 to 90 dB), and vehicles weighing more than 10,000 pounds (86 to 92 dB) (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 14-80-1 et seq. ). (Note: these levels refer to highway operation. Different levels apply to vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1979, and to stationary vehicles. ) Table 1 lists the noise levels for different highway and road surfaces and for stationary operation.

Source: Conn. Agencies Regs. § 14-80a-4a

MOTORCYCLE NOISE STANDARDS

This is from October 6, 2003 so it may have changed.

txyaloo

Established Member
I found this in about 5min. using Google.

MAXIMUM NOISE LEVELS FOR MOTORCYCLES AND OTHER VEHICLES

The maximum permissible noise level for a motorcycle manufactured on or after January 1, 1979 ranges from 78 dB to 84 dB, depending on the motorcycle’s speed and the road surface on which it travels. This is louder than the maximum permissible noise level for passenger cars manufactured during the same period (72 dB to 81 dB), but quieter than the maximum permissible noise levels for buses (83 to 90 dB), and vehicles weighing more than 10,000 pounds (86 to 92 dB) (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 14-80-1 et seq. ). (Note: these levels refer to highway operation. Different levels apply to vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1979, and to stationary vehicles. ) Table 1 lists the noise levels for different highway and road surfaces and for stationary operation.

Source: Conn. Agencies Regs. § 14-80a-4a

MOTORCYCLE NOISE STANDARDS

This is from October 6, 2003 so it may have changed.

First, the OP is in Florida. The information you posted is from Connecticut.

Second, the information you posted does not exempt motorcycles from noise standards or emissions laws. It does allow for them to be 3dB louder than a passenger car. That 3dB difference is negligible.

Federal guidelines say any motorcycle manufactured after 1986 must be less than 80dB. Again, there is no exemption that allows motorcycles to have straight pipes and be as loud as possible.

olefafl

Established Member
First, the OP is in Florida. The information you posted is from Connecticut.

Second, the information you posted does not exempt motorcycles from noise standards or emissions laws. It does allow for them to be 3dB louder than a passenger car. That 3dB difference is negligible.

Federal guidelines say any motorcycle manufactured after 1986 must be less than 80dB. Again, there is no exemption that allows motorcycles to have straight pipes and be as loud as possible.

Yes, it is from Conn., it said so at the bottom.
He never said they are expempt from noise laws, he said loud.
What I found said they can be louder than cars.
Not sure where you got the Fed dB numbers from, but when I was looking I found something about bikes in Maine could be 106dB. (It may be old info, I can look again when I get home)

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
I'd thought decibels would be non-discriminant among vehicles. I don't see how a bike that is louder than a car, gets no noise complaint :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread