Exhaust Gains

WIST2013GT

Established Member
Looking for some insight on where to spend money on the exhaust. The car is a Vortech v3 car on 93. Exhaust setup is: stock exhaust manifolds, JBA cat deletes, JBA 3 to 2.75 X pipe, stock OAPs, GT500 axle backs (This is how I bought it).

What gains would I see from long tubes?
What about changing to a 3x3 inch x pipe and 3 inch OAPs?

For reference, the car made 530whp on a mustang dyno as it sits.

DaBigBone

Established Member
Long tubes pick up a lot on boosted cars. I'd imagine somewhere in the 40+ hp range

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
You doing the work youself or having someone do it?

Id spend the money on a return fuel system, convert to e85, and a 3.33 pulley if it were me. Leave the exhaust alone.

PC03GT

Established Member
Unless you find a great deal on some long tubes I would follow the suggestions above. The only reason I went to headers is because I got a full kooks setup for 1000 bucks, I couldn't pass up on the opportunity. You'll make 40+hp

WIST2013GT

Established Member
Do you think the rest of the exhaust is a restriction? I know AED tested the OAPs on a N/A car and gained 7whp. I assume I would see more since I'm trying to move more air?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
At your power level I don't see a real need to upgrade to a 3" system or add long tubes (expensive). I agree that you'd be best off spending your money on a return fuel system, convert ing to e85, and going with a 3.33 pulley. Best bang for your buck. Down the road when you have funds to do it, you can add long tubes. JMO.

WIST2013GT

Established Member
E85 on the stock pulley will probably make 700whp right? I'm still a completely stock motor so I'm guessing that's going to be leaning on it pretty hard lol.

stangn

Established Member
Put headers on it now! My Whipple car made 640 thru stock headers, 3"
Off-road X pipe, stock OAP and GT500 mufflers. All I did was add On3 shorty headers 1-7/8 with 3" collector. Had it retuned and it jumped to 705 and I was shocked! Pump gas car. Defined back to 680 for saftey and I started using Torco.

In my case it was a huge upgrade.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
Off-road X pipe, stock OAP and GT500 mufflers. All I did was add On3 shorty headers 1-7/8 with 3" collector. Had it retuned and it jumped to 705 and I was shocked! Pump gas car. Defined back to 680 for saftey and I started using Torco.

65hp from shorty headers sounds a little crazy. Was this done on the same dyno? Either way, 705rwhp on pump gas is hard to beat!

OX1

Established Member

Stock bottom end?

stangn

Established Member
I called BS myself on the gains but Sai assured me it was correct. Same tuner and dyno however different days. My motor is a built 5.2 by the way guess that could help. I really didn't think the crappy stock manifolds were that bad. Until you look at how there made and then compare them to how the 15 up is made. 2 cylinders dumping into the same pipe with no increase in size can't be good at elevated power. The 15 up increases the tube size after they merge 11-14 doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread