Exhaust drone

eekkaann

Established Member
So I have a bit of a problem with drone on my 08 GT500. I have Kooks longtubes, catted X pipe and Ford racing stinger axelbacks. I think its way to loud when I get on it, and the drone in some speeds on the freeway is really annoying. Planning on switching to an catted H pipe later because I like that sound better, but for now, Does anyone know if the pypes violator Is any good and will help me with my drone problem?

Pypes Mustang Violator Axle-Back Exhaust - Black SFM60VB (05-10 GT, GT500) - Free Shipping

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
When I see "aggressive sound profile" in the description, I'm not sure they will help. There are several reviews. Someone with a V6 and high flow cats complained about drone.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Try a set of the factory mufflers. Believe it or not, the factory mufflers are tuned very nicely. With a set of headers it should sound nice.

X-pipes are known for raspy tone, but are technically better for making power. Ill have an H pipe on any V8 car I own over an X regardless of power. Better tone > a few extra HP imo.

eekkaann

Established Member
So I changed to the stock axelback and what a difference! No drone at all so that was very nice, but the car is a little bit too quiet now I think. What is everyone running that is drone free and sounds a bit more than stock when getting on it?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Try a set of the factory mufflers. Believe it or not, the factory mufflers are tuned very nicely. With a set of headers it should sound nice.

X-pipes are known for raspy tone, but are technically better for making power. Ill have an H pipe on any V8 car I own over an X regardless of power. Better tone > a few extra HP imo.
We're on the same page. I've never liked the sound of an X-pipe. The H-pipe has more of a "traditional" Mustang V8 tone whereas the X-pipe is definitely more raspy.

@eekkaann, nice that you solved your drone issue. Be careful when looking for something louder because depending on the muffler, you could introduce some drone. Here is someone's explanation of muffler drone that I thought was good.
"Sound is a wave vibration that ranges in frequency and wavelength, or size of waves. When going through an exhaust, the shape of the exhaust can act as an amplifier for certain pitches. Example: at 2500 RPMs, you will hear the exhaust much louder than at other times. This can even be compounded more by traveling through the floor and into the cabin of the car. This can be combated with different shaped exhausts, or most commonly a resonator or muffler, which work to absorb the sound waves and quiet the exhaust. Resonators, being smaller, can be used at strategic points in the exhaust to still retain a raw loud motor sound, but to be done properly would need a lot of testing/sound engineering or a lot of trial and error/luck.

At a certain RPM your exhaust will resonate and create a loud hum. Every exhaust system will resonate at a certain frequency, so they should be engineered to resonate at a frequency outside what is typical for that car's engine to generate or they must include components to cancel out that frequency.
"

Last edited:

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
I can vouch for LTs and x-pipe being a deadly combo, especially with bullet style mufflers. I added some 16” resonators to help quiet things down. Still obnoxious on anything above like 10% throttle.

My fall project will be installing some QTP electric cutouts and OEM axleback mufflers. Will leave the 16” resonators in. Hoping this setup tames the LTs and x-pipe somewhat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StrayBullitt

Established Member
So I changed to the stock axelback and what a difference! No drone at all so that was very nice, but the car is a little bit too quiet now I think. What is everyone running that is drone free and sounds a bit more than stock when getting on it?

I have stock manifolds to an offroad X to Magnaflow competition, but the PO had a pair of 18" long Cherry Bombs o_O welded into the mix to quiet it down.

… it actually sounds pretty good

Coosawjack

Established Member
I have FRPP Touring mufflers made by BORLA......ZERO DRONE and the sound is out back not inside the car!!;)

They were the ONLY chambered mufflers BORLA ever made but now they are extinct!! :(

I would suggest BORLA Tourings....deeper and slightly louder than stock with NO DRONE!!:D

Good Luck in your QUEST!!:)

06torchredgt

Established Member
I have FRPP Touring mufflers made by BORLA......ZERO DRONE and the sound is out back not inside the car!!;)

They were the ONLY chambered mufflers BORLA ever made but now they are extinct!! :(

I would suggest BORLA Tourings....deeper and slightly louder than stock with NO DRONE!!:D

I don't know where you got your info from, however, Borla has never designed any of their exhaust components as chambered nor with any type of baffling. Their entire exhaust line, including the Borla Touring muffler which is still in production as part#11752 has always been constructed as a straight-thru design consisting of a single perforated core packed with fiberglass material. Also, the FRPP touring mufflers that were made by Borla for Ford Racing were part#M-5230-SVT1 and part#M-5230-MSVTC, M-5230-MSVTL, or M-5230-SA for 2010 GT500 models. The same design also applied to the FRPP touring mufflers as well. Anyhow, just saying.

Coosawjack

Established Member
I got it directly from Borla......and the first engineer I spoke with at Borla said the same thing you are saying but when they looked.....FORD HAD SPEC'D a chambered muffler which they built for Ford for several years.....I got the LAST set from AM......discontinued!!;)

Attached is the engineering drawing on my mufflers.......baffled and chambered by BORLA!!:cool:

Borla-Ford FRPP muffler internals for 2014 Mustang GT 5.0.jpg

06torchredgt

Established Member
Is this for the Touring muffler part#M-5230-SVT1? If it is? then the info I got from one of the Borla engineers I spoke with was totally incorrect, in which I now stand corrected, as the engineering drawing that you just posted, proves in itself that Borla did indeed at one time design a chambered muffler for Ford Racing. In the meantime, thanks for setting the record straight and for attaching the engineering drawing ;):cool:

Coosawjack

Established Member
Don't feel alone......I was like you.....and most Borla employees were also until they pulled that drawing!!;)

I was gonna send 'em back to AM but tried them instead......PERFECT with the exception of the tips being too long.....so I cut 'em off.......look much better on my car now IMHO......see photos!!:)
Before.jpg
After.jpeg
Before-2.jpg
After-2.jpeg

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Is this for the Touring muffler part#M-5230-SVT1? If it is? then the info I got from one of the Borla engineers I spoke with was totally incorrect, in which I now stand corrected, as the engineering drawing that you just posted, proves in itself that Borla did indeed at one time design a chambered muffler for Ford Racing. In the meantime, thanks for setting the record straight and for attaching the engineering drawing ;):cool:
Never underestimate the Low Country man's knowledge.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SCALILOU

Established Member

I also have the Borla Touring axle backs on my 08. I love the sound. Sounds like a true muscle car

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
With long tubes, no cats and Borla Tourings on my 2012 (2 3/4" pipes) I didn't have any drone, but it was so damn loud at half throttle, I put the OEM mufflers back on. I've since added 18" Vibrant resonators and put the Borla's back on. The Borla's mufflers with the stock exhaust was the right sound level for me. I'm likely to weld GESI cats after the collector, but I doubt I can obtain the stock level of sound.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
My rasp and drone were so bad I was embarrassed to drive it. Bought a Bassani resonated x and it sounds much better.

Coosawjack

Established Member
With long tubes, no cats and Borla Tourings on my 2012 (2 3/4" pipes) I didn't have any drone, but it was so damn loud at half throttle, I put the OEM mufflers back on. I've since added 18" Vibrant resonators and put the Borla's back on. The Borla's mufflers with the stock exhaust was the right sound level for me. I'm likely to weld GESI cats after the collector, but I doubt I can obtain the stock level of sound.

Long tubes with NO CATS it a real game changer....I would imagine any straight through muffler would be hard pressed to subdue the LOUDNESS!!:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread