Exhaust & DE

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
Let me first say that I really enjoy working with students and can tell the pride a student has in all of the work they have done to their car to make it theirs. I have been in everything from a bone-stock car to a fully race-prepped car. With that being said... if you want to learn, do yourself (& your instructor) a favor and keep the exhaust relatively quiet. Yes, we can use hand signals in the event the exhaust is too loud or the communicator breaks, but is it really f'ing difficult to put a muffler on your car???

I was in a student's car this weekend (straight piped honda) and the exhaust was so loud that he couldn't hear a thing I said. On top of that, he was scared sh**less of the track, so he didn't pay attention to my hand signals. We did a download session each time and even came into the pit, but he just didn't get it. He ended up leaving and didn't come back the next day. While his mental state didn't help, I feel the lack of verbal communication was the biggest obstacle in this scenario. I was unable to calm him down while driving or prep him for what was coming next. He was my first student that was truly OSB.

MFE

Established Member
Hand signals? That's definitely old school LOL.

There are more expensive options such as Chatterbox, but this is the best $45 you'll ever spend on being a good instructor: Amazon.com: Nady PMC-2X Driver-to-Passenger Motorcycle Intercom: GPS & Navigation

m000045554_s7

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
Hand signals? That's definitely old school LOL.

There are more expensive options such as Chatterbox, but this is the best $45 you'll ever spend on being a good instructor:

I have a chatterbox & use it. I have had a couple of instances when the exhaust overpowers the capability of the communicator. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my communication in my original post and should have used hand signals:thumbsup:

also... I have also used a Nady & you get what you pay for... junk.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I have had to go over minimal hand signals with students before going out if we were going to have problems. But it is hard to get much across with a few hand gestures.
I wonder if you could petition to get in a session with the windows up (would that have helped in this case)?

darreng505

Established Member
Rolled up windows are a safety hazard and disallowed.
Most track or race enthusiasts will upgrade their exhaust and/or ditch the mufflers. Thats half the fun!

MFE

Established Member
I have a chatterbox & use it. I have had a couple of instances when the exhaust overpowers the capability of the communicator. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my communication in my original post and should have used hand signals:thumbsup:

also... I have also used a Nady & you get what you pay for... junk.

Not the most robust thing in the world, have to implore students not to yank it out by its cord, but...on the other hand...in 6-7 years of using it it's never been overpowered by any car's exhaust or wind noise :-D

Sirl

Established Member
I can appreciate what your saying.
But it doesnt sound like even with good communication, that he was mentally ready to hit the track. Maybe better off doing some Autox first.

I picked up a good tip, wont work with every club, but I try to get a students email address before the event so we can at least get to know one another before the event.

If thats not possible, I definitely try to exchange email addy's at the event. I keep in touch with a few of my old students. Its great to hear their progress, etc.

Point is, maybe you can talk to him, and see what his deal was, maybe get him back out, somehow.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Rolled up windows are a safety hazard and disallowed.
Most track or race enthusiasts will upgrade their exhaust and/or ditch the mufflers. Thats half the fun!

de is not about the 15whp difference you get by taking the mufflers off. I know so many guys that equate volume with velocity. one has next to nothing to do with the other. its just showing off.

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
de is not about the 15whp difference you get by taking the mufflers off. I know so many guys that equate volume with velocity. one has next to nothing to do with the other. its just showing off.

100% agreed Rob!!!

darreng505

Established Member

Absolutely correct! :)

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
John, I have had this same thing happen with a guy in a WRX.

Sometimes I use a communicator, sometimes I don't. I use an open face helmet when I instruct so my voice will project. It is rare that a student can't hear me without the communicator, in those cases I pull it out of the trailer and put it to use. I have instructed two CMC students with hand signals, due to noise, and we did just fine. It was not ideal but luckily they were good students and we jelled well.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Generally I got along fine with basic hand signals but I wasn't sure what he meant when he put his hands over his face and started the sign of the cross gesture

Sirl

Established Member
I always use my communicator.
I can talk at normal speaking volume. Its a no brainer for me.

Furthermore, Just recently got the new Chatterbox Tandem Pro2. I had the one posted above, but left the batteries in it, and they exploded...

The Pro2 mounts in your helmet. Gotta say, so far I am Very happy with it. Highly recommend it.

David Hester

Established Member
Interesting. Over the years I've seen dB enforcement go from what-you-brung to 108 to 103 to even 98 at AMP. Not sure there is a place for open pipes anymore, 15 MPH be damned. ;-)
That being said, has there ever been a better sound than the original Panoz GTR1?.... not counting the start of a 70's CanAm race.
Some years ago, pre-103 dB, I started with a field of 40 A/Sedan, GT-1, GT-2, and SPO cars. Ground Pounders, indeed!
Was working Daytona 24 when the 4 rotor Mazda showed up. You could follow it around the ENTIRE track, even with traffic. It even drowned out the jets landing behind the back straight.
Shame it couldn't keep from setting itself on fire both years it raced there.

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I had a student in a Mustang Foxbody at Charlotte a couple of years ago. Even with my Chatterbox, full face helmets, and hand signals, I was shouting so much to be heard over his exhaust that I was hoarse the next day.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Was working Daytona 24 when the 4 rotor Mazda showed up. You could follow it around the ENTIRE track, even with traffic. It even drowned out the jets landing behind the back straight.
Shame it couldn't keep from setting itself on fire both years it raced there.

The Mazda rotaries are every bit of the word obnoxious!

Users who are viewing this thread