Everything Bicycle Related

ajaf1656

Established Member
Pretty much all bikes come with a brake for liability reasons. I'm sure it has a coaster brake (pedal backward to brake).

oxford03cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
My Federal Stevie Churchill
51056316358_b9c3b39bf1_k.jpg
921DCA9F-C14C-4E53-91A4-61C28AC65C2C by Jason Wrenn, on Flickr

ajaf1656

Established Member
Here's an odd bike I had for a while. Volume Thrasher fixed gear freestyle bike. It had enough clearance to bar-spin that huge 700x42c tire without hitting the downtube. It was actually a really interesting bike. If it were set up for brakes, I might have kept it and thrown a freewheel on it. I've tried to enjoy riding fixed gear bikes, it's just never been all that fun after the novelty wears off.

4B66CAEF-3CCF-4DAF-AA93-96FCB40D0560.jpeg

ajaf1656

Established Member
Here are a couple of bike projects I've completed that are still in my current inventory.

Diamondback Ascent from the late 80's I believe. 4130 Chromoly frame and fork. Bought for $100 Before:
1EC0A3FE-2FDC-429E-A66C-55AC7C909AB7.jpeg

I converted to a single speed and geared it for barhopping and easy wheelies to impress the Boise State college girls. I kinda went overboard on this one buying new parts and lots of little details, but it was a lot of fun to build and I love the way it turned out. After:
C8941C3B-F330-4A66-A60B-9C972CD4C00C.jpeg

I found this bike in the Colorado State University surplus shop. They collect all the abandoned bikes on campus and sell them off. I've bought a few bikes there before, but I knew this one was a good find. It's a 1993 Trek 420 (hehe). Made in the USA lugged 4130 frame and fork. Bought for $120. Before:
C7DF3F14-50B6-4DCE-976F-E189EF32EC1A.jpeg

This one I built with a lot of used parts from the local bike co-op in Boise. Upgraded the from the old downtube mounted shifters to more modern Ultegra brake lever shifters, Ultegra crank and front derailleur and 105 rear, added a rack and integrated expandable bag, new wheels and a few other minor modifications. I tried clipless pedals on it for a while, but I didn't really get much out of them so I went back to platforms. After:

7CD39B00-F3A8-47AA-8975-E7B7C237571E.jpeg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Here are a couple of bike projects I've completed that are still in my current inventory.

Diamondback Ascent from the late 80's I believe. 4130 Chromoly frame and fork. Bought for $100 Before:View attachment 1695127

I converted to a single speed and geared it for barhopping and easy wheelies to impress the Boise State college girls. I kinda went overboard on this one buying new parts and lots of little details, but it was a lot of fun to build and I love the way it turned out. After:View attachment 1695128

I found this bike in the Colorado State University surplus shop. They collect all the abandoned bikes on campus and sell them off. I've bought a few bikes there before, but I knew this one was a good find. It's a 1993 Trek 420 (hehe). Made in the USA lugged 4130 frame and fork. Bought for $120. Before:
View attachment 1695129

This one I built with a lot of used parts from the local bike co-op in Boise. Upgraded the from the old downtube mounted shifters to more modern Ultegra brake lever shifters, Ultegra crank and front derailleur and 105 rear, added a rack and integrated expandable bag, new wheels and a few other minor modifications. I tried clipless pedals on it for a while, but I didn't really get much out of them so I went back to platforms. After:

View attachment 1695130
Nice find on that '93 Trek. And nice restoration, too!

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I do too. Weekends it gets pretty crowded though.
Yes we stopped there and spent the night when we drove down. Awesome place to visit. I like it up there but it’s too cold in the winter for us. If Kris happened to get a job in the Jacksonville area and had to work in an office I told her I’d live in Amelia island. Another beautiful place up “north” but cold as shit in the winter.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member

Diamondback Ascent from the late 80's I believe. 4130 Chromoly frame and fork. Bought for $100 Before:View attachment 1695127

I converted to a single speed and geared it for barhopping and easy wheelies to impress the Boise State college girls. I kinda went overboard on this one buying new parts and lots of little details, but it was a lot of fun to build and I love the way it turned out. After:View attachment 1695128

View attachment 1695129

View attachment 1695130
I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume the bikes are a big part of your life. ;)
I got a question for you. Is there a bmx style bike that someone 6’3 and 295pounds would be comfortable on?

I figured no and bought the beach cruiser instead but when I was growing up we were so poor my daddy couldn’t afford one. So I always wanted what I couldn’t have I guess.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Yes we stopped there and spent the night when we drove down. Awesome place to visit. I like it up there but it’s too cold in the winter for us. If Kris happened to get a job in the Jacksonville area and had to work in an office I told her I’d live in Amelia island. Another beautiful place up “north” but cold as shit in the winter.
True, one does get somewhat of a change of seasons there. But on the plus side that part of Florida has managed to stay relatively immune to hurricanes. I looked at the average climate/weather down in Naples and it's pretty much like Miami--warm year round. My retirement date is July 2022 and I can see myself down in Florida somewhere.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
True, one does get somewhat of a change of seasons there. But on the plus side that part of Florida has managed to stay relatively immune to hurricanes. I looked at the average climate/weather down in Naples and it's pretty much like Miami--warm year round. My retirement date is July 2022 and I can see myself down in Florida somewhere.

True about the hurricanes but I’m not retiring anywhere with any type of cold season. I’ll take my chances with my insurance and the hurricane. I’ll never sell cape cod so I’ll be up there for hurricane season.
Me and Kris were joking about the same hurricane wiping out both houses.
First thing about retiring to Florida is to decide if you want west or east coast. For us it was easy. I don’t want to live among New Yorkers and Masshole liberals so the east coast was out.
Once you figure that out it gets easier.
At first we were going for St Pete’s area but Naples fit exactly what we wanted and for nightlife we are close to ft Myers beach.

ajaf1656

Established Member
I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume the bikes are a big part of your life. ;)
I got a question for you. Is there a bmx style bike that someone 6’3 and 295pounds would be comfortable on?

I figured no and bought the beach cruiser instead but when I was growing up we were so poor my daddy couldn’t afford one. So I always wanted what I couldn’t have I guess.

The first post in the thread is my 22" BMX. It has a longer toptube and slightly bigger wheels, but it still rides really close to a traditional 20" BMX. Some BMX companies make bigger BMX "cruisers" with wheels from 24" to 29" but they don't always ride like a BMX. If you're looking for a bike to cruise around on these will be fine, but if you are looking to ride manuals, hit the jumps or skate park, they can be a little too big and hard to muscle around.

Best Selection of BMX Big Bikes at Dan's Comp - Dan's Comp

This was my 26" Volume Sledgehammer. It's the bike I'm crashing in the youtube video above. It was turquoise and white when I got it, but I had it powder coated and replaced literally every part except for the frame, fork and handlebars.
1AAE8F6B-EC1F-4771-B970-62A1F9B4B32C_1_201_a.jpeg

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
The first post in the thread is my 22" BMX. It has a longer toptube and slightly bigger wheels, but it still rides really close to a traditional 20" BMX. Some BMX companies make bigger BMX "cruisers" with wheels from 24" to 29" but they don't always ride like a BMX. If you're looking for a bike to cruise around on these will be fine, but if you are looking to ride manuals, hit the jumps or skate park, they can be a little too big and hard to muscle around.

Best Selection of BMX Big Bikes at Dan's Comp - Dan's Comp

This was my 26" Volume Sledgehammer. It's the bike I'm crashing in the youtube video above. It was turquoise and white when I got it, but I had it powder coated and replaced literally every part except for the frame, fork and handlebars. View attachment 1695147
All I want to do is cruise the paved and groomed bike paths. No tricks or racing etc.
Those bmx bikes get so big looking they lose that look I like and resemble mountain bikes.
I guess I’ll have to be happy on a cruiser. It fits what I want and I won’t get that part of my youth back.

Users who are viewing this thread