Everyone thats done an engine swap COME IN!!

Did you remove the cab to pull the motor?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jster171

CRACKER
Established Member
We just finished pulling my motor WITHOUT pulling the cab and it was a pain in the royal ASS!! I'm now thinking that I should have just used our lift and pulled the darn cab. Things would have been so much more accessable. Did you lift the cab to pull your motor?

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
Nope, did it with the AC condenser and radiator in place too!

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
I've done it both ways and I actually think that its more work to remove the cab.

Image004.jpg

If you remove the radiator, the wire loom that runs along the firewall and all of the crap on the front of the engine it will come out without touching a thing. I also found it much easier to remove and install with removing the oil cooler housing. Just the housing where the filter screws onto.

jster171

CRACKER
Established Member
Wow, this really surprises me. We had issues with so many things. For example, the wiring harness. The female ends for the 02 sensors are attached to the back of the heads and we couldnt get in there to them to make them "let go", not to mention just getting the male end to unplug. So we ended up leaving the harness attached and laying it in the middle of the block and pulling it all together. There are 2 bell housing bolts that gave us a fit too. One of them can't be gotten to until the exhaust is outta the way. Theres a ton of "sequence of events" that I can see MUST happen during re-installation or you will find yourself doing "rework" meaning, taking an item back off because something else cant be gotten to with that certain item in the way. Seems to have ALOT of that scenario as a sure fire possibility. This poll wasn't really meant as a "can you get it out" poll but a "which way makes the whole job easier" kinda poll. None the less, looks like leaving the cab on is prefered.

harness.jpg

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
I myself find those engine leveling booms to be more of a hassle than a help. I have always just used a chain with a hook on the engine hoist. :shrug:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
I did it the same way Eric did. Moved the engine right to the radiator support and straight up. I got to the O2 sensors thru the wheel well, it wasnt easy but can be done. And the removal of the oil cooler is a must if you like keeping your cool

Z7What