Everyday?

dakota318

Banned
Can the Cobra be driven everyday?? I had posted this ? a little while ago, but only got a few answers back and my other computer crashed and lost my old screen name to find it. Anyway, it would be the wife's car. She loves em, I love em... but seems like they have a reliablitly issue, lots of people with tickings, bad rears, driveshafts, sqeak here, sqeak there... know what I mean? To hell with the gas milage, it just needs to get her to work everyday, 40 miles.

Fast Willy

Established Member
I drive my cobra every day. The ticking has been fixed in these cars. The reason my people have a lot of problems with these cars is because they dont do regular mataince, and they beat the crap out of them, day in and day out. Most people only brake things because they mod and mod, and they race all the time, they dont just drive the car on the street like an normal driver. Hope this helps and get the car lol.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I had a few minor issues initially on mine, but nothing that would leave me stranded on the side of the road. The dealership, along with the information from this forum, has been more than helpful in weeding out the small problems.

My car is a daily driver as well.

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
Like scmod46 said I drive mine everyday nothing at all wrong with it. Some people just don't know how to care for a car so there for things are going to happen. I think this car is just as reliable as any other car on the road, if taken car of.

dakota318

Banned
What sort of milage do you guys get out of your cars then, in what type of driving... thanks for the help guys!!

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I put on about 20 miles a typical day. I think that is what you are asking.... MPG - I'm lucky if I get better than 18....

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
I put about 40 miles on it a day driving to school and back i get about 230 miles to a tank of gas which cost me about 26-33 dollars to fill. if i use boost a lot that week i get about 190-200 miles to a tank.

coolcobra

Established Member
My Cobra has been a daily driver since July 2002--with 23,000miles. Only issue that i had, the dealer replace the differential after I mentioned some slight howl when coasting.

Routinely get 14mpg around town in traffic, and 22 to 24 on the freeway.

I do my own maintenance, and have replaced all of the fluids with Royal Purple and use Mobil 1 oil with 3000 mile changes.

Car runs great. Have taken it thru 45 quarter mile drag strip runs, and 2 1/2 hours of road racing in the last 2 years. Best time was 12.00 sec and 117mph with #8 lower pulley, custom tune, Magnaflow catback, and K&N. I made sure that I did not go below 12 sec, by part throttle launches and no power shifts--0 to 60 times of 2.00sec.

Just got the blower ported, car makes 480 SAE hp, and 478 ft-lbs. Will be taking car to Fontana in the spring to see if I can achieve 11.5 sec.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I've had my share of problems. Fortunately, none of the problems have prevented me from driving it. It's been a daily driver. Most the time I get 19-21 MPG 60-40 city/hwy mix.

kj385

Established Member
I think the cars are fine. The internet makes any car look worse than it is. I've had no real problems. And I spin the tires almost every time I start it up. The car has 18.5k miles on it with a pulley and a tune. I go 5000 between oil changes and it's never burned a drop of oil....... ever! :rolling:

Fast Willy

Established Member
I have 31,000 miles on my car and It hasnt given me any really big problems at all. And if you buy the car from a dealership remember part of the SVT plan is to give you a rental to drive while your car is in the shop. So its not like you areleft with finding a ride.

White04Cobra

Established Member
I drive mine everyday back and forth to work. I do leave it at home sometimes if I know its going to rain. I have 4 vehicles for 2 people so we have to drive some of the older ones once in a while. I have 5500 miles on it so far since june and it has never been back to the dealer. There are a few minor issues like the stearing creak but thanks to this board I know more about this car than any other one I have ever owned.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Blak92 said:
What sort of milage do you guys get out of your cars then, in what type of driving... thanks for the help guys!!

better than the dak!! dude..i traded in my 99 Dakota R/T for this car...i had that truck for 4 years and thought it was my baby...i never looked back since i drove the cobra off the lot! the dak isnt goin anywhere..trust me...mine was going 13.6's@100 N/A

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
Daily driver here with no issues. I think you will see the opportunity for issues increase as you mod the car but with just bolt ons they are as reliable as any other american car imho...

TXRDRNR

Never follow.
Established Member
Daily driver here too, I put on about 40+ miles a day and get about 15 MPG in city traffic. I've have had only minor problems with the car, all of which where when it was brand new and have been fixed.

dakota318

Banned
BADASS03SVT said:
better than the dak!! dude..i traded in my 99 Dakota R/T for this car...i had that truck for 4 years and thought it was my baby...i never looked back since i drove the cobra off the lot! the dak isnt goin anywhere..trust me...mine was going 13.6's@100 N/A

This is for the wife, not me. And the truck WILL be running 11s by the end of next year, I am currently swapping to a 2wd, lowered frame, intercooling, light engine rebuild, Acell DFI, and trans rebuild. With just the 318 rebuild it will be running really low 12s, maybe a 11.9 if I push it... but I wanna get the first 10K loan payed off and get it on the road b4 I get the next motor, forged 408. I would get all of it now but cant afford a Cobra and a 20K loan, know what I mean??

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Yes, I commute in my Cobra everyday. 80+ miles each day. I now have 46k miles with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread