Not open for further replies.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yea it was basically the same car. The Turbo and heads were slightly different but it was a HARSH ride tho.

Did walk a lot of Corvettes at that time tho. It was super kool and super expensive! Like the price of a GNX basically. Around $30k. Thats a decent amount of money in 1989 for a car.

I sort of liked the 20th Annv. Trans Am pace cars better, basically the same power train but in an F body.

RUNVS?

Established Member
I got to take advantage of a 2-fer not too long ago. Early one Sunday morning and I had just picked up breakfast tacos at Taco Cabana and pulled up to the light at the feeder road intersection. The feeder road was three lanes wide and a blue RT Challenger and a black SS Camaro pull up in the two lanes to my right.... Challenger was in the middle. They had just run each other from the previous light and I caught the tail end of their battle before they took their positions next to me.

Because my truck looks so lame, they weren't paying any attention to me at all, but on the green light, we all took off. The truck hooked up well and I could see both cars in my outside mirror within the first 300 feet. Unfortunately for them, they were playing for second place and it only got worse the longer we stayed in it. :D

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I got to take advantage of a 2-fer not too long ago. Early one Sunday morning and I had just picked up breakfast tacos at Taco Cabana and pulled up to the light at the feeder road intersection. The feeder road was three lanes wide and a blue RT Challenger and a black SS Camaro pull up in the two lanes to my right.... Challenger was in the middle. They had just run each other from the previous light and I caught the tail end of their battle before they took their positions next to me.

Because my truck looks so lame, they weren't paying any attention to me at all, but on the green light, we all took off. The truck hooked up well and I could see both cars in my outside mirror within the first 300 feet. Unfortunately for them, they were playing for second place and it only got worse the longer we stayed in it. :D

Yes! Good stuff

RUNVS?

Established Member
On the other end of the sleeper scenario, many years ago, I got taken down in my 2001 Lightning by a turbocharged, AWD Volkswagen Golf GTI. I was stunned at how fast that thing was out of the hole... shot out like a bottle rocket and just kept pulling away. :eek:

Established Member
Early summer of 1983 I had a 70 maverick that was beat but had put a 351 c into. Chevy had just released the new vette and I got one of those to bite at a light. Just trashed him. Next light he wants to know "what I have in that thing". I told him a couple hundred bucks and drove away.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
A couple months ago a buddy and I were heading to a cars and coffee early in the morning. While waiting to turn on to the main road a nice looking 68 Nova rolls by. It wasn't overly loud or anything. So we roll in behind him because we figure he's going to the same meet. Being car guys we all jump on it getting on the freeway. The Nova is in front, my buddy in the middle in his Hellcat Charger, and me running sweep. I give it about half throttle and then notice they're pulling away. So I give it all and the Nova is still pulling away from us. We get to the meet and find out the guy is the original owner. We asked what's done and he says "it's just a little small block" with a slight grin. We called him on his BS, but had a good laugh over it.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I took my '98 GT to the drag strip back in the day in Colorado. Yeah, it was pretty slow, but it sounded magical. Lined up next to a beat to shit S10 with a topper. My '98 ran low 15's. This shit looking S10 ran upper 9's.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
My KB 01 cobra has suprised many of fbody and 03 cobra

But my buddy had a impala ss with a 408 and twins...looked totally stock (hell is wasnt even loud) and holy shit did she run.

RUNVS?

Established Member
Two of the most awesome sleepers I've ever seen for sale were a 1978 Cadillac Seville sedan with a built 454 in it. It looked box stock from the outside.... even down to the original spoked wheel covers and white wall tires. It also retained all of its creature comforts inside (i.e. A/C. power windows, seats, leather interior,...etc.)

The other was an AMC Pacer that had a built 401 under the hood. Rather pedestrian looking from the side, but the fat tires, dual exhaust, and slapper bars were a dead giveaway from the back. These are apparently a fairly common build because I've found quite a few of them posted on the internet. The 401 carries the same dimensions as the original 304, so it's a pretty simple swap.

401 Pacer.jpg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a 92 Mitsubishi eclipse with a turbo upgrade that ran bottom 11's at 126-127mph back in 99 to about 04 or so. She didn't have one straight body panel haha.

That car wrecked all the F body and Termi boys' feelings back then. It was awesome.

I'll have to dig up some pics.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I had a 92 Mitsubishi eclipse with a turbo upgrade that ran bottom 11's at 126-127mph back in 99 to about 04 or so. She didn't have one straight body panel haha.

That car wrecked all the F body and Termi boys' feelings back then. It was awesome.

I'll have to dig up some pics.
A friend of mine was into DSM's before he got into foxbodies. He loved taking down the V8 boys.

jhonda

Established Member
I had a couple, one was a c63 amg, usually not a big deal for me to beat from a roll, but there was one that was the closet roll run I ever had. I maybe put a bumper on him from 70-140. When it was over we gave thumbs up and parted ways but not before I saw the renntech badge on the back. The other sleeper was a BMW 3-Series diesel. Other than the carbon fiber hood it looked stock. Even still I thought it’s a diesel. He was the 3rd closest race I remember. He was a car length or more behind me blowing black smoke like a dump truck

RUNVS?

Established Member
I raced a guy that was in a blue Dodge Neon SRT-4 with my Lightning several years ago. The Neon's hood had a hole cut in it for a bigger turbo and there was a sticker on the back window that said "V8 Killer". He stayed with me from a 30-70 roll, but I destroyed him from a dead stop. My Nittos hooked and his torque steer had him going from lane to lane way back behind me.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I raced a guy that was in a blue Dodge Neon SRT-4 with my Lightning several years ago. The Neon's hood had a hole cut in it for a bigger turbo and there was a sticker on the back window that said "V8 Killer". He stayed with me from a 30-70 roll, but I destroyed him from a dead stop. My Nittos hooked and his torque steer had him going from lane to lane way back behind me.
I'm not sure that counts as a sleeper. The hole in the hood for the turbo would be a pretty big hint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread