Evaporator cooling fans- anyone know about them?

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
i have a 2400 sqft garage that I want to cool. It is an enclosed metal building with full insulation. I was looking at an evaporator cooler to bring down temps, more specifically a Hessaire 92v. I have read they do not work in humid climates, I’m in Houston which invented humidity, and also read they will cause things to rust.
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of these things and if it’s worth going for?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Worked at a shop in Tucson that was cooled by swamp coolers. Problem was that the air vents for the coolers were about 40 ft above our heads. As the "cool air" was pushed down, it absorbed the heat.

By the time it got to us on the shop floor it was like being in... well... Houston. :D

Manager wanted to know why we never turned the swamp coolers on. 1 demonstration day was all it took and we never heard that question again.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Best thing you can do is keep an eye on FB marketplace or CL for a used cheap AC system from a house that someone felt was too small.

You'll pay 3-500 for it and can install it yourself. Plumb some ducts, and you're golden pony boy.

CV355

_
Established Member
Best thing you can do is keep an eye on FB marketplace or CL for a used cheap AC system from a house that someone felt was too small.
You'll pay 3-500 for it and can install it yourself. Plumb some ducts, and you're golden pony boy.

This is good advice.

Those evap coolers work great when you're working outside on a hot day, but you need the massive ones. We're talking $3000+ for those systems. The little ones that are advertised for home use in the $200-$500 range aren't going to really cool anything. You could get a $15 box fan put a $5 mister nozzle on it and get better results. They also increase the humidity (which is why they don't work well in humid environments, same reason why sweating doesn't do much on humid days) and aren't recommended if you're around materials that are sensitive to humidity. Plus, you run the risk of mold when running them indoors, even if you use the additives they recommend.

The place I used to work at had about 3 of the large PortaCool systems, but we weren't allowed to use them indoors because it caused surface rust / corrosion on everything. They are fantastic for outdoor work because they don't draw much current to run the fans, so a power inverter or small generator can run a large unit. Otherwise, an AC system beats them out in every other aspect.

Pioneer has mini split systems that could cool your garage. Check them out.

Pioneer® 24,000 BTU 20.5 SEER 230V Ductless Mini-Split Air Conditioner Heat Pump System Full Set

That's an insane deal. The Mitsu equivalent would run $3.5k.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
My buddy has about a 6ft port a cooler. I’m not impressed at all, they hardly use it anymore. I’d find another way to cool the air.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
i have a 2400 sqft garage that I want to cool. It is an enclosed metal building with full insulation. I was looking at an evaporator cooler to bring down temps, more specifically a Hessaire 92v. I have read they do not work in humid climates, I’m in Houston which invented humidity, and also read they will cause things to rust.
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of these things and if it’s worth going for?
Do yo ave a good exhaust fan? Also, residential ceiling fans can move a lot of air....

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
Go with a mini split, man! They're perfect.
There's no way a mini split cools a 2,400 sq/ft garage, especially if the cars are coming in hot. He's going to need to jump up to a real AC unit.

That being said, I love the mini split in my garage.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Do yo ave a good exhaust fan? Also, residential ceiling fans can move a lot of air....
The ceiling is 17” high. I have a large overhead fan installed, but it doesn’t do shit. Before I drop 5k on a Big Ass Fan, I want to explore something that actually cools the air.

08mojo

Established Member
There's no way a mini split cools a 2,400 sq/ft garage, especially if the cars are coming in hot. He's going to need to jump up to a real AC unit.

You would definitely need more than one mini-split for that much space with--especially with the high ceilings.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Everything you've read about Evaporative Coolers aka Swamp Coolers not working well in humidity is 100% correct.
^ This.

I'd pony up and install a real air handler. Can just hang it from your roof purlins and run a large diameter duct down the length of the building. Then run smaller diameter stubby duct runs with vents on the ends off that main run to spill air out. It's exactly what we do in climate controlled storage buildings. Cheap and effective.

sleek98

Established Member

I use a 24k mr cool DIY mini split to cool my 2,000 sq foot shop. He would need the 36k unit to be fine.

Its not so much that it gets to 75 degrees in there but at 80 with low humidity I feel great. I turn it on 1/2 hour or so before I go out there to work. I also have it set to throw the cool air in the bay I do all the work in so that helps out since the cold air is blowing on me.

Blown 89

Established Member
I use a 24k mr cool DIY mini split to cool my 2,000 sq foot shop. He would need the 36k unit to be fine.

Its not so much that it gets to 75 degrees in there but at 80 with low humidity I feel great. I turn it on 1/2 hour or so before I go out there to work. I also have it set to throw the cool air in the bay I do all the work in so that helps out since the cold air is blowing on me.
You're talking about two different climates though. Houston vs. Kansas City. There's a 10+ temperature difference and more intense sun for those units to handle. A unit that barely works in Kansas will shit the bed closer to the equator.

sleek98

Established Member
You're talking about two different climates though. Houston vs. Kansas City. There's a 10+ temperature difference and more intense sun for those units to handle. A unit that barely works in Kansas will shit the bed closer to the equator.

Good point. I didnt think about it normally being 10-15* higher to start with.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Good point. I didnt think about it normally being 10-15* higher to start with.

If you size the mini-split large enough it should be able to cool it. Hence the BTU rating.

If he runs a 36,000 BTU system it should easily be able to cool 2400 sq/ft. Only issue would be sending 230V to the unit. If he is limited to 120V then maybe two smaller mini split system in tandem. One per each side of the shop and tie them in using a WiFi controller.

The Pioneer systems are WiFi capable so he can set the temp in his house, wait 20 min, then head out to a cool garage.

Users who are viewing this thread