Ethanol free gas

Grady

Established Member
I only put about 200 miles a year on my 04 Cobra and 04 Mach 1. I am thinking that I would never ruin a cat. Converter. How many of you run ethanol free leaded gas? Is 92 octain lead free better than 93 octaine with ethanol. I only put about 10 gals. Of gas in each car at a time to keep the fuel fresh. What do you guys burn? Jack

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I only put about 200 miles a year on my 04 Cobra and 04 Mach 1. I am thinking that I would never ruin a cat. Converter. How many of you run ethanol free leaded gas? Is 92 octain lead free better than 93 octaine with ethanol. I only put about 10 gals. Of gas in each car at a time to keep the fuel fresh. What do you guys burn? Jack

Are you talking about leaded canned fuel or boat gas sold at the pump? I'd def avoid anything with lead with the stock exhaust in place. However, marine fuel is fine. We have both 91 and 93 non-EtOH fuel available at the pump here. I buy it all the time, especially for equipment that sits a lot.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Ethanol free is better, especially in high humidity environments. Use a good fuel stabilizer and keep the tank full is best for keeping water out of your gas.

Grady

Established Member
Are you talking about leaded canned fuel or boat gas sold at the pump? I'd def avoid anything with lead with the stock exhaust in place. However, marine fuel is fine. We have both 91 and 93 non-EtOH fuel available at the pump here. I buy it all the time, especially for equipment that sits a lot.

Grady

Established Member
Not marine fuel. I had boats my whole life. Here in Pa. I can get ethanol free at the pumps in different places.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Maybe a dumb question but I've kept e85 in tank for a LONG while with no issues. I can't see having 10-15% ethanol would be a problem. What's the advantage of ethanol free in a modern automotive application?

Legit question, don't think I can get it here but inquisitive minds must know.

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Maybe a dumb question but I've kept e85 in tank for a LONG while with no issues. I can't see having 10-15% ethanol would be a problem. What's the advantage of ethanol free in a modern automotive application?

Legit question, don't think I can get it here but inquisitive minds must know.

The amount of air in the tank makes a big difference in how much water vapor the alcohol can pull out. 1/8th tank sitting a long time in high humidity is a bad combo because the water vapor can condense on a surface and be pulled in by the alcohol. That's why a full tank is best.

44shelby

Established Member
i see ethanol free gas at the pumps every now and then as well but it never 93 its always mid grade or so it seems

robvas

Established Member
That's commonly referred to as boat/lawn mower fuel.
They call it “rec gas” here. People put it in Their atv’s and such. I use it in my mowers and snowblower.

89 octane though. I put it in my stock Mustang before winter, I’ve seen what regular gas does in my snowblower after only a few months

04Mike55

Established Member
The amount of air in the tank makes a big difference in how much water vapor the alcohol can pull out. 1/8th tank sitting a long time in high humidity is a bad combo because the water vapor can condense on a surface and be pulled in by the alcohol. That's why a full tank is best.
Or empty?

Real Time Recon

Established Member
My EFI 302/345HP Cobra only eats no ethanol 93.And sometimes w/a splash of 103.No problems in the last 6+ years w/fuel. Ah,I love the smell in the morning...."smells like Victory"

Users who are viewing this thread