ethanol for cleaning purposes

GTBill

Established Member
i have a 2003 GT i just put a different set of heads on, and they're pretty gunky. how can i safely run maybe 1 or 2 tanks of ethanol without buying a new fuel system and tune? (no beating, just driving) next question: would that even have any benefit?

lastly, i have a pullied cobra. no port or anything. worth making the change? though i'd ask while im making a thread :shrug:

TIA!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
i have a 2003 GT i just put a different set of heads on, and they're pretty gunky. how can i safely run maybe 1 or 2 tanks of ethanol without buying a new fuel system and tune? (no beating, just driving) next question: would that even have any benefit?
You can run up to about 40% E85 in your tank before the check engine light will come on for the O2 sensors reading lean. This is due to E85 having a lower stoich value than gasoline. It might clean your fuel system up a little, but I would just run regular gas through it.

lastly, i have a pullied cobra. no port or anything. worth making the change? though i'd ask while im making a thread :shrug:
TIA!
It will still benefit from the cooling aspect of the Ethanol helping cool the intake charge after the blower. So yes, it can still be beneficial.

GTBill

Established Member
thanks for the responses.

so basically. i can run a blend in the GT but its not realy going to do much?

and....

i can make the conversion on the term, but the only thing is lower intake temps? might be worth it in the long run though...

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
thanks for the responses.

so basically. i can run a blend in the GT but its not realy going to do much?
Yes. It won't make much power difference or do a whole lot.

and....
i can make the conversion on the term, but the only thing is lower intake temps? might be worth it in the long run though...
It will make more HP and be a lot safer by reducing the chance for detonation considerbly.

Users who are viewing this thread