EsqEddy’s 66 & 65 Mustang Build Thread

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
What can I say? I’m a car guy. I love cars. I love driving them and I love making mods. I’m not the best guy when it comes to turning wrenches, so I let those who are far better than I am do most of that. What I’m better at is re-engineering cars and throwing away money on them. LOL

My latest project began with the desire to just spruce up a 66 mustang. I bought a 66 with a mild 302 but that had some issues. I wasn’t planning on spending a lot on it. LOL

A friend gave me a 351W he got from a friend that was supposedly “fresh”. Nothing radical. Steel heads but roller rockers. Internals unknown. So I figured, what the heck. I’ll upgrade the power plant in the car. Of course that meant new headers, etc. so I bought those things. Then we decided to crack open this free engine and it became apparent this engine needed work. Some serious work. There was light rust and pitting from having sat for so long and who knows what.

I decided, if I was going to redo this 351W I might as well do it right. Aluminum heads, new rotating assembly, new roller valve train, etc. By the time I figured the cost of buying and building what I wanted, I might as well get a crate motor. So I did.

I bought a 408 in3 351W with a fuel injection system from FAST. Complete to the pan already dynoed and guaranteed to have at least 425 hp at the flywheel. Plus, it has a 30 month 50,000 mile warranty. Received the motor, the dyno sheet shows 494 hp. Cool! Oh wait, the 66 I have has some rust and rot issues in the areas where the rear suspension attaches. I just didn’t feel like the car could handle the engine I just bought. Of course, I didn’t want to throw the car away, so what to do?

I doubled down! I bought a 65 mustang to put the new 351W in. We patched and strengthened the 66 so that I’m comfortable putting the 302 and AOD back in it. I’m going to put the new doors, hood, deck lid, new trim, and all the cosmetic stuff I bought for it. And she will get a jam up fresh paint job. She will look faster than she is with an Elanor look.

As for the 65. It’s spotless. Garage kept and has been restored. It’s has a 6 cylinder so the suspension system is far too light weight for the new engine. Ok, so what is the plan? I have to beef up the suspension and I want power steering and disc brakes. And with that power, I want it to handle like a sports car.

Oh well! Break out the check book! I am now waiting on the arrival of a complete Heidt’s independent rear and front high horsepower suspensions. I bought the “full meal deal” so to speak! Once that’s installed, the new motor and new TCI AOD will be put in along with a Vintage Air A/C system. New radiator, full dress up serpentine pulley system with the normal components. New steering column, nice wheels and tires, and a couple of late model power seats. I’m leaving the body, (which has fresh paint, new chrome trim and bumpers, etc.) and the gorgeous redone interior virtually untouched. I will put in a tilt steering column, and power window and power lock kits. But the exterior will remain stock but for the wheels and tires. So she will be a 65 sleeper.

The 66 will get painted in the wife’s favorite color and given to her as a gift. I figure that’s the best way of not getting in trouble for buying the 65 mustang and not even telling her! LOL. I’ll post pictures along the way. If someone can remind me how to post pictures.

Attachments

• 9954C2EF-9BDE-42DA-83B1-910FFD332F81.jpeg
    9954C2EF-9BDE-42DA-83B1-910FFD332F81.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 162

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
The 66 after patching the underside and applying rhino liner.

Attachments

• CE2B4FF8-AB1C-488A-9BEB-AC0456D0448D.jpeg
    CE2B4FF8-AB1C-488A-9BEB-AC0456D0448D.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 153

Users who are viewing this thread