Erratic Voltages when under electrical load. Ideas?

fast-eddieeeeee

Bought 04 MM as is. Good price for car that sat with 64k miles on it for four years. Voltage issues as electrical issues with voltages jumping 12v, 8v, 10v, 9v, 13v, when under big load sitting at traffic light with AC on, Headlights on, turn signal, radio going, you get idea heavy load on regulator. Then again at low rpms light acceleration till over 2,000 rpm. Then under hard acceleration voltage drops to 12v. Engine misfires and auto AC goes wacky anytime voltages drop. On cold morning start 13.8v till warmed up and battery is charged. I'm going to do a drain down test where i run headlights for 1/2 hour to drain charge so it takes a while to charge. I think this thing has a clutch based G3, not G4 alternator. There are no factory replacement alternators available new from Ford Motor Parts. Looks like someone replaced the Battery with a 925 CCA battery, stock I think these were in the 650CCA range. Also fresh, seems to be the Alternator (wrong one?). Prior it was serviced 22 times since purchase at local Lincoln dealer for 12 yrs. Sold twice at the same dealership. It was last reported serviced there with 58k miles 4 yrs ago, then sold last Saturday night to Auto Nation, and I purchased the following Wednesday as-is no warranty with 64k miles. Very clean garaged well taken care of, but whom ever worked on it put a remanufactured Alternator and a Walmart Battery in it??? A what the? No appreciation for the MM obviously. No check engine light, had load test on battery and charging system, AutoZone Style, no indications of problem. Ideas?

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I had a similar problem, I never had any performance issues or misfires but while the car would charge fine at idle or an easy cruise, if I was under load (say climbing a hill at 2000rpm) the voltage would drop into the mid 12's. More electrical load would bring it way down as well. I tried two reman alternators from Ford til I ended up putting a low mile factory unit on my car and that has since fixed the issue.

Also, these use 4G alternators, not 3G's.

Users who are viewing this thread