Erratic Turn Signal Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Big thanks to Stavesacre21 for this one...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257647

As pulled from that thread...

OK everyone, today was the big day to swap out the old multi-function switch.

I was gonna take pictures but chose not to due to the freezing cold temps...i just wanted to get done and get inside...lol.

It took me about an hour, although if I did it again it prolly would be closer to 20 minutes

Fairly easy part to install, althought a little more disassembly of the surrounding trim covers was required then mentioned by the haynes manual. Just to list it real quick, i can remember the parts.

1) remove drivers steering knee panel - 2 bolts
2) remove steel knee cover - 2 bolts
3) remove top and bottom of steering column trim - 4 screws (below)
4) remove ignition lock (1/8" phillips/punch is used and just apply pressure - no assembly retaining parts) pull ignition lock STRAIGHT out.
5) remove black display panel overlay - 2 screws
6) remove multi-function switch - 2 screws

Just a warning...there's lots of pulling and tugging to get the 2 parts of the steering column trim. just wiggle them over the tilt lever and the key release switch. You can get the upper half off without step 5, although I think it's impossiable to put it back on without removing it. This was by far the toughest part of the installation, because i was taking extra caution NOT to snap the screw-in tabs off.

The switch itself has 2 harnesses that plug up. Those were, quite frankly, a pain in the @#$ to get off without snapping the retaining clips off (each had TWO...overkill? i think so).

Reassembly is just the opposite.

Oh yea, and the whole point of the thread - this DID fix my problem with the erratic turn signals and non-functioning hazards. Everything works great now!

I know this tends to seemingly to be a rather commen part to go bad, so that's why i've decided to document all this. If you have any questions, drop me a line and i'd be happy to help anyone out as much as I can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread