Erratic Fuel Pressure w/ Vortech....(VID)

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
The car was picked up today after having a forged shortblock installed w/ the Vortech V-2 due to the original engine cracking a piston two days after the initial Vortech installation. As you can see in the video below the fuel pressure and idle both fluctuate. Also, while holding a steady speed the car stammers almost like a car with a very slight misfire, but also surges so it feels jumpy like it wants to stall from lack of fuel. The car died once today which happened several times within the two days the car was out of the shop and most importantly when the engine went. The shop installed a Focus pump and Ford Racing 42 lb/hr injectors with the Vortech kit. To my knowledge the fuel pressure inconsistencies in the video aren't normal and the car shouldn't dip so low in the RPM's that the car dies or almost dies. What do you folks think the problem could potentially be?

th_FuelPressure.jpg

Last edited:

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
I think you need a new tune. Not all the engine runs the same. Is it .20 over????

Correct. The bore was .20 over and the tuner will actually dyno tune the car at 500 miles with the first oil change when they cut open the filter to make sure all is well. Maybe the car is on the same crappy tune that it had when the piston cracked. :shrug: He used the same 3.33 pulley as before for the break in period so it wouldn't be too far fetched that he just kept the same tune as well.

THAITED

Established Member
It happened to me when I used to have .20 over and it blew up. I swithch to a 5.1 liter and the car was running shiity exactly the same way like yours. I was frustrated because I have to wait unitl 500 miles for a new tune but now it's okay.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
Stopped by to see my tuner and had him test drive the car to make sure it is safe to drive. The car is running rich and his recommendation was not to baby it as much as I have been and get a little higher in the RPM's to get the fuel to burn off better. The same tune is on the car is the reason it's acting up. Tuesday the car should have 500 miles on it and will be dropped off to tune the car again which should solve the problem.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
Correct. The bore was .20 over and the tuner will actually dyno tune the car at 500 miles with the first oil change when they cut open the filter to make sure all is well. Maybe the car is on the same crappy tune that it had when the piston cracked. :shrug: He used the same 3.33 pulley as before for the break in period so it wouldn't be too far fetched that he just kept the same tune as well.

exactly. when the built motor went into my car, the same tune was in there as when my piston cracked as well. after a tune the fuel pressure is normal again.

Users who are viewing this thread