EPA to Start Aggressively Enforcing Emission Defeat Devices

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
sure they could and it'd be SUICIDE for that manufacturer and product.

it'd also require knowing what day it is. its almost like i do this for a living and see theories fail all the time when put into practice.

now this fantasy project needs an atomic clock in it, better get to work boys LOL
Tesla is already doing it. Just wait till it's legislated and you'll have no choice... Just like side airbags, back up cameras, ABS and the inevitable requirement for lane sensing and auto braking will be mandatory.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Tesla is already doing it. Just wait till it's legislated and you'll have no choice... Just like side airbags, back up cameras, ABS and the inevitable requirement for lane sensing and auto braking will be mandatory.

I call bullshit. show me documentation that tesla BRICKS your car if you don't do the updates.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member

that is not a dead man's switch built into the car rendering it inoperable if an update isn't downloaded.
that's not even close to being the same thing.

being able to shut off a car is not the same as programming the car to kill itself if it can't ring home.

"its plausible that they can just have not turned it on yet" is not plausible because the premise of the assertion is that its a thing which REQUIRES ACTIVATION on some regular interval remotely in order to stay operational.

you're actually saying the opposite of that.

c'mon guys...

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
that is not a dead man's switch built into the car rendering it inoperable if an update isn't downloaded.
that's not even close to being the same thing.

being able to shut off a car is not the same as programming the car to kill itself if it can't ring home.

"its plausible that they can just have not turned it on yet" is not plausible because the premise of the assertion is that its a thing which REQUIRES ACTIVATION on some regular interval remotely in order to stay operational.

you're actually saying the opposite of that.

c'mon guys...

Keeping playing ignorant to what is going on and thinking that “I’m from Texas” will save you.

No IT equipment was stolen in the making of this comment.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Keeping playing ignorant to what is going on and thinking that “I’m from Texas” will save you.

meanwhile you guys are arguing that companies will start putting digital timebombs in their cars that require an internet connection to keep ticking.

Dunning–Kruger effect in full swing here with you guys, but hey, i just build complex integrated software systems for a living so you've definitely probably got the tiger by the tail with this bullshit theory of yours.

don't let a silly thing like a subject matter expert get in the way of your fantasy hari kari product car.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
meanwhile you guys are arguing that companies will start putting digital timebombs in their cars that require an internet connection to keep ticking.

Dunning–Kruger effect in full swing here with you guys, but hey, i just build complex integrated software systems for a living so you've definitely probably got the tiger by the tail with this bullshit theory of yours.

don't let a silly thing like a subject matter expert get in the way of your fantasy hari kari product car.

So because you are from Texas and your company doesn’t have what we are talking about, no car manufacturer will do it?

Ok Walker

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
would you build a car with a DEAD MAN'S SWITCH in it?

What does any of this have to do with what I would build? Please explain for us. Because nowhere in the EPA booklet, manufacturer booklet does it ask what I would build.

Did Ford, Dodge, or GM come to me and ask, “hey guy, should we put emissions on our diesel trucks that would cut down the mpg and cause you to have costly repairs?”

Did Ford come to me and ask if I thought the added safety features are worth hundreds of pounds in the new Mustangs?

Did Ford ask me whether they should put a DCT or 6sp man trans in the new GT500?

Use your brain.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
What does any of this have to do with what I would build? Please explain for us. Because nowhere in the EPA booklet, manufacturer booklet does it ask what I would build.

Did Ford, Dodge, or GM come to me and ask, “hey guy, should we put emissions on our diesel trucks that would cut down the mpg and cause you to have costly repairs?”

Did Ford come to me and ask if I thought the added safety features are worth hundreds of pounds in the new Mustangs?

Did Ford ask me whether they should put a DCT or 6sp man trans in the new GT500?

Use your brain.

none of which are TIMEBOMBS THAT RENDER THE ENTIRE VEHICLE USELESS UNLESS THEY GET A SIGNAL FROM SPACE.

that's the feature you guys are arguing is not only plausible to be actually implemented but is inevitable.

i'm honestly astonished that you guys think any car company would do that.

blk02edge

Established Member
Considering the Tesla is a computer you bet your ass Musk could wirelessly program your car to not run. He literally could have a program to render the car inoperable if it didnt communicate wirelessly in a set time and have written it in fine print when you signed the papers. And there are zero laws that could argue it.

Makobra probably thinks the Model S has a carburator though.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Considering the Tesla is a computer you bet your ass Musk could wirelessly program your car to not run. He literally could have a program to render the car inoperable if it didnt communicate wirelessly in a set time and have written it in fine print when you signed the papers. And there are zero laws that could argue it.

Makobra probably thinks the Model S has a carburator though.
Oh just wait till Law Enforcement need the OEMs to give them back ins to track and turn off a fugitive car.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Considering the Tesla is a computer you bet your ass Musk could wirelessly program your car to not run. He literally could have a program to render the car inoperable if it didnt communicate wirelessly in a set time.

He technically could also trap people alive inside their cars and make sure they burn to death.

you're arguing what is technically possible if you give no regard for business, the customer, and you basically want to commit product suicide while I'm arguing for what is actually realistically possible given the prerequisites for the feature you guys are dreaming up in your fantasy hari kari car project.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Fail Smog in a state like California and your registration is bricked.

Death by a thousand cuts.

what you guys aren't seeing are the numerous problems with not only implementing but actually dealing with the end result of your hari kari car fantasy project.

you're dreaming which can be fun sometimes but when you guys come yup with this doomsday bullshit AND its coupled with the defeatist "what's the use we're all gonna get hosed by govt anyhow" mentality that's just a recipe for disaster.

do you guys just enjoy coming up with things to whine about? i mean cause if you do then I'm perfectly happy to stop trying to explain why what you are dreaming up is virtually impossible to get out the door and sustain.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
He technically could also trap people alive inside their cars and make sure they burn to death.

you're arguing what is technically possible if you give no regard for business, the customer, and you basically want to commit product suicide while I'm arguing for what is actually realistically possible given the prerequisites for the feature you guys are dreaming up in your fantasy hari kari car project.

What are you not understanding about, if the EPA goes to manufacturers and wants them all to do it, it can and will be done? Would you like me to write it in crayon? I will so you get it.

I bet you believe Texas will never turn blue “because Texas”. You are a bit thick there Walker.

blk02edge

Established Member
what you guys aren't seeing are the numerous problems with not only implementing but actually dealing with the end result of your hari kari car fantasy project.

you're dreaming which can be fun sometimes but when you guys come yup with this doomsday bullshit AND its coupled with the defeatist "what's the use we're all gonna get hosed by govt anyhow" mentality that's just a recipe for disaster.

do you guys just enjoy coming up with things to whine about? i mean cause if you do then I'm perfectly happy to stop trying to explain why what you are dreaming up is virtually impossible to get out the door and sustain.
The most dangerous thing is underestimating your enemy. You seem to think they can't and wont, time and time again they can and they have... They are always hungry for more control. If you can't see that in the year 2020 then you are not just living under a rock, you are 10 miles deep inside a cave.

You have to try think like them to come up with rationale rebuttles rather than stick your fingers in your ear and say lalalala

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
What are you not understanding about, if the EPA goes to manufacturers and wants them all to do it, it can and will be done? Would you like me to write it in crayon? I will so you get it.

I bet you believe Texas will never turn blue “because Texas”. You are a bit thick there Walker.

lets simplify this:

Do you guys think that telling an ENTIRE INDUSTRY that they can only sell cars in America that kill themselves if they lose internet connectivity is actually a realistic thing that can happen on planet earth?

and by realistic i mean "without massive blowback and possibly an all out war".

blk02edge

Established Member
lets simplify this:

Do you guys think that telling an ENTIRE INDUSTRY that they can only sell cars in America that kill themselves if they lose internet connectivity is actually a realistic thing that can happen on planet earth?

and by realistic i mean "without massive blowback and possibly an all out war".
Lawmakers are already trying to make all new cars have mandatory breathalyzers installed. You think that'll start a revolution?

Users who are viewing this thread