Enthusiast Car - What would you buy?

Dusten

Established Member
So I’ve got to be honest. I’ve been looking at getting a Focus ST as just a beater. It’s for 5 seats, it’s a hatch. With some miles on them you can get them cheap. 70k miles they sell for like $15k-$16k. Motor is really reliable and they don’t look terrible. Great on gas too since they’re a 6 speed.

Great on gas?

22 city and 28-29 hwy with 25 on my commute isnt exactly great.

I had one for a quite a while.

4 seats is more realistic as the middle is useless.

Dusten

Established Member
I average over 30mpg on rds with 35/45/55mph speed limits at +9

Ok, go take a trip where the speed limit is 75-80

Or I've taken numerous road trips in mine. In fact I just finished up 3200 miles Cali and back. The dash was close to hand calculated for the trip.
if I cruise 60-65 32-33 is easy. But few roads have those kind of limits that are consider highways. Which is why I said 28 hwy.

I bought that car with 45k on it. So I've put a few miles in it.

20220718_105612.jpg

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Ok, go take a trip where the speed limit is 75-80

Or I've taken numerous road trips in mine. In fact I just finished up 3200 miles Cali and back. The dash was close to hand calculated for the trip.
if I cruise 60-65 32-33 is easy. But few roads have those kind of limits that are consider highways. Which is why I said 28 hwy.

I bought that car with 45k on it. So I've put a few miles in it.

View attachment 1756923
I've got ~135k on mine, owned since new. These things are definitely geared for the 45-55mph roads. Highway speeds of 80+ and you're over 3k rpm and it'll definitely suck some gas

Dusten

Established Member
I've got ~135k on mine, owned since new. These things are definitely geared for the 45-55mph roads. Highway speeds of 80+ and you're over 3k rpm and it'll definitely suck some gas

Where do these roads exist?

We have either freeways that are 60 and 70 or highways that are 55 but have stop lights all over so you're constantly rowing gears.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Focus ST would definitely be a good choice. A lot more going FOR it than AGAINST it.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The Focus ST is a good choice. If it were my money I'd look for a Honda Accord V6 with a 6-spd or Acura TL. You could probably swing a 2.0t.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
My 13 Focus ST averaged high 20s even when FBO. Made stock feel like a total turd too.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Do the Focus ST’s have the same issues as the other ecoboost models, as far as the blocks cracking and allowing coolant into the cylinders?

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
MPGs is pretty much a non-issue for me...I work from home. I remember my brothers Focus ST not being great on gas but he drove that thing like he stole it so I wasn't surprised.

I have some good ideas from this thread. Appreciate all the replies.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Bmw 335i with FBO, cheap 11s

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
BMW…idk….would be a hella fun to own.

I would say HELL no on a BMW. To expensive when it comes to maintenance and repairs.

I used to DD a Ford Contour. It was great overall, but towards the end something seemed to go out on it almost every other week.

My step daughter used to drive a Ford 500. Plenty of room even in the back seat and the trunk is huge. She got T boned and she liked that car so much we were able to find her a Mercury Sable (almost identical car to the Ford 500) to replace the 500.

So, I say a Ford 500, Mercury Sable or the new version of those cars the Ford Taurus.

Ford 500
Ford 500.jpg

Mercury Sable
Mercury Sable.jpg

Newer Ford Taurus
Ford Taurus.jpg

LS WUT

Established Member
Great on gas?

22 city and 28-29 hwy with 25 on my commute isnt exactly great.

I had one for a quite a while.

4 seats is more realistic as the middle is useless.
Well, I guess I should have been a bit more specific. He said he worked from home, and would only really use it for random usage. It’s for his wife, and 2 kids I’d reckon. I don’t think you’ll get 3 grown 200 pound men in the back seats comfortably no. I also don’t live up north with hills and things. A vast majority of my driving is mostly city. With then 35/45 speed limit signs. I get around 17mpg in my hellcat charger. I use cruise control and such because it’s pretty straight forward. Nevertheless thanks for your input.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Well, I guess I should have been a bit more specific. He said he worked from home, and would only really use it for random usage. It’s for his wife, and 2 kids I’d reckon. I don’t think you’ll get 3 grown 200 pound men in the back seats comfortably no. I also don’t live up north with hills and things. A vast majority of my driving is mostly city. With then 35/45 speed limit signs. I get around 17mpg in my hellcat charger. I use cruise control and such because it’s pretty straight forward. Nevertheless thanks for your input.
This will be for me :) the wife and kiddos will be in the mini van.

Users who are viewing this thread