Engine swap questions

swordjr24

WNALOSE
Established Member
Does anyone know if a 5.4 engine will fit in a 92 Thunderbird SC?
If not then what about a 4.6 DOHC?

fordsvtbird

Established Member
:thumbsup:You certainly do whichever you want.. a 5.4 would require some modding (cutting etc.).. 4.6 DOHC not a problem. Here's some pics of my buildup..
http://s411.photobucket.com/albums/pp193/fordsvtbird/
Newwires1.gif

Newwires2.gif

Newwires3.gif

Good luck! You'll need patience and a lot of time..

warmaster

Established Member
the 5.4 will swap as long as it is SOHC, the DOHC is too wide and will require more fabriction than it's worth

No, the 5.4 is to wide. The DOHC 4.6 is no wider than a SOHC. The extra width of the 4v heads is towards the inside of the motor, they are the same width as a 2v.

davis97xr7

Established Member
i didn't mention anything about the 4.6 DOHC.

i'll repeat, the 5.4 will swap AS LONG AS IT IS SOHC, the DOHC is too wide and will require more fabriction than it's worth.

the 5.4 is available as a SOHC AND a DOHC.

warmaster

Established Member
i didn't mention anything about the 4.6 DOHC.

i'll repeat, the 5.4 will swap AS LONG AS IT IS SOHC, the DOHC is too wide and will require more fabriction than it's worth.

the 5.4 is available as a SOHC AND a DOHC.

No 5.4 will swap in without intense cutting of the shock towers.

Also, the 5.4 DOHC is no wider than a 5.4 SOHC

Visit Tccoa and learn some stuff.

Last edited:

warmaster

Established Member
i'm a member on tccoa. and yes a 5.4 SOHC will swap and has been done on a few occasions. off the top of my head J.Miller is a guy who has done the swap so try again.

EDIT - Oh look, a tech article from TCCoA. So

Well bring up the 5.4 on Tccoa, you'll see how it goes, the motor offers really no gain over say a simple swap like the 4.6 Explorer engine.

davis97xr7

Established Member
lol. the op's question wasn't about if he should do the swap, it was about if it can be done. don't try to change the topic now.

you are right on one thing though, the 5.4 SOHC doesn't offer much over the 4.6, other than stump pulling torque.

and yes, i know exactly how people on TCCoA feel about the topic.

Last edited:

95xbird

SVO Bird
Established Member
I thought I read about the DOHC 5.4 not fitting the shock towers on an MN12.It was hitting.I read on TCCoA some time ago and it was an Aviator motor I believe.But yea the 5.4 is only a torque benfiet and hardly worth it IMHO unless you're going with some kind of forced induction.

warmaster

Established Member
I thought I read about the DOHC 5.4 not fitting the shock towers on an MN12.It was hitting.I read on TCCoA some time ago and it was an Aviator motor I believe.But yea the 5.4 is only a torque benfiet and hardly worth it IMHO unless you're going with some kind of forced induction.

Correct

Users who are viewing this thread