~ Engine Swap Questions

DRTHV8R

I am your father.
Established Member
well here is my situation.. i was looking into droping a 03 motor in my 99 .. but after research i found it will be a bit pricey.. so after more research i found good prices on a built 5.4 cobra R engine. here is the link to the engine http://www.karkraft.com/long_blocks.htm . Question is will this be a flush mount? or will i have to do a bunch of modifications.. and what else would i need for this to mount to my 99. last question ... this is a lighting engine as well or totally different? reason bieng i might wanna get a super charger in the future.

~Thanks in advanced.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
That is not an "R" motor. It just a navigator rebuilt engine that doesn't even have forged pistons. The only intakes for a 5.4 4v are the Navigator's, Cobra R and a Sullivan. Most people just cut and weld a stocker. Look up Boss 330's 5.4 thread on corral, everything you need to know abotu the swap is there.

Lightning enignes are 2Vs

99svtvert

I have a friend and that engine made 255 RWHP and 315 RWTQ. It has hyper pistons and powdered rods too. Not too good as stated above. HP and Troque curves peak early (4000 RPM) like a 99-04 GT.

Get a built shortblock, you won't be sorry. It will increase the value of your car and open the door to any future direction you may want.

Last edited by a moderator:

DRTHV8R

I am your father.
Established Member
awesome guys .. i am not a mech nut at all .. can you guys point me in the direction of the short blocks and what one i should look into? how much do these run?

UCBeau

i paid ~3500 for my built shortblock, figure worked heads is another 1000 bucks..then add in say 1000 bucks labor for it all to be installed at a shop.

best bet is to use the search function and put in terms like "built motor" or "built shortblock" etc and see what oyu come up with

Users who are viewing this thread