Engine swap parts list help

StangSteph

Established Member
Ok, I'm sure there are several threads pertaining to some of this, but I cant find a good full list of parts that I'll need.

I've got a 2002 mustang v6. I am swapping the motor for a 97 mark viii 4v.
I am looking to figure out all the pieces I need to complete the swap, including the little things. Im not a mechanic so I dont know exactly what all is there.
Let me know what needs to be on the list!! I'll be sure to try to add to it. If there are any notes or info or specifics I need to know, post it up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!
btw, Im not worried about power right now, just what I need to make it driveable.

So here is what we've got as of now...
-4v engine & accessories
-new gaskets
-t45
-oil pan
-driveshaft
-clutch
-fuel rail (hopefully it will work alright)
-4.6 engine harness, dash harness
-4.6 computer
-motor mounts
-hydroboost
-4v lt headers
-steeda clutch cable, firewall adjuster, clutch quadrant
-throwout bearing, pressure plate kit, flywheel bolts, pilot bearing
-overflow tank bracket
-flywheel
-oil pickup tube
-radiator, fan
-coolant tank, cap
-power steering tank

Bought and Waiting for

-new harness WITH coil pack plugs...

What we need...
-hoses
-mid pipe and catback
-gauge cluster
-more paint!
-

-rear end (at some point)

++ Talk to insurance about motor swap

Last edited:

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
Dash cluster.

What front suspension are you running? What fuel pump are you going to use?

Have you talked to your insurance company about it? Many won't insure vehicles that have older motors swapped in (technically it's not street legal at that point due to EPA regulations). If you don't tell them about the swap, it's insurance fraud, so don't skip that step.

konradr

Ford Mustang
Established Member
Dash cluster.

What front suspension are you running? What fuel pump are you going to use?

Have you talked to your insurance company about it? Many won't insure vehicles that have older motors swapped in (technically it's not street legal at that point due to EPA regulations). If you don't tell them about the swap, it's insurance fraud, so don't skip that step.

Shit, so are you telling me the Blazer is illegal? Damnit. I have no emissions at all. Just 3" tri y's and straight pipes. Is that why it always smells so caustic when I drive? I will call the insurance now. What with all the other problems this wont help my insurance rates.

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
Shit, so are you telling me the Blazer is illegal? Damnit. I have no emissions at all. Just 3" tri y's and straight pipes. Is that why it always smells so caustic when I drive? I will call the insurance now. What with all the other problems this wont help my insurance rates.

Depends on how it's done. A old block as a base with a full fresh build is typically ok. A direct full motor swap is more what the regulation is targeting.

StangSteph

Established Member
Ok what do I need to say to insurance? I felt like putting in a more powerful motor for no reason, lol, or it needed another motor so I bought a complete motor already but its older...
And I might be changing companies soon, cant seem to afford to have the car and truck on the road at the same time...

not sure about fuel pump at the moment.
suspension...stock right now except for lowering springs. thats it.
may get tubular k-member, but we'll see

Last edited:

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
As mentioned before, you should start figuring out the fuel system you are going to run. There are several options, but it depends on what you are looking to do exactly and where you want to take it in the future. The other thing is you will need valve covers that are designed for COP if your mark viii motor does not already have them. I dont believe any came with COP.

For fuel, if you are running the full GT harness with fpdm etc then you can run an aviator or svt focus pump and either modify the mark viii rails to make them returnless, or you can get aftermarket rails.

Are you keeping the mark viii intake manifold or are you going to get a cobra intake? Either way you will need to delete your IMRCs to make installation and tuning easier.

Users who are viewing this thread