Engine Splash Guard

TheRamie

Established Member
I installed a new foose grille the other day, and noticed my engine splash guard was in pretty poor condition, it feels like reinforced cardboard, and has ripped at some of the attachment points on the bottom of the bumper cover. So i thought well that should be cheap to replace, no its over $200 for that flimsy piece of reinforced cardboard. Does anyone know of a cheaper place to buy this or would i just be better off spending the full $600 and getting the whole boss splitter and splash guard.

noldevin

Established Member
Both are valid options. Unfortunately you probably won't find it cheaper. I don't recommend ditching it as it does help keep engine bay pressure down which reduces lift and helps with cooling.

TheRamie

Established Member
Thanks for the input, guess ill just bite the bullet and pay the cost, eventually, ran it up to 140 yesterday and it didnt fly off yet surprisingly

wr450

Established Member
I'm no expert but if u refer to the hood shaking thread from last week I posted on it if it were me I'd run it just get some quarter sized fender washers for the factory screws and never worry bout it again

wr450

Established Member
I think I put them on all the majority are along the front along the splitter u ain't never gonna see them I might have painted them flat black with a chassis paint but I'm picky like I said only time your gonna see them is from underneath and u don't need em on every screw hit up a good hardware store not home depot take a screw in fender washers have a small hole in them it's a 15 minute job

GBCoyote

Established Member
It will cause hood shake on some cars that decide to rip off just SOME of the splash guard. Everyone running tubular K members don't run splash guards, because there's no place to mount the guards anymore.

BLKSUNSHINE13

Established Member
Mine was damaged causing hood shake at highway speeds. When replacing it I couldn't stomach paying over two hundred for a piece of cardboard, so I went with the Boss kit. If you have the money the Boss kit is the way to go, the quality is outstanding.

wr450

Established Member
Brother do yourself a favor and washer up the I call it windage tray it's there for a reason ford has a world class wind tunnel I know I work for them and they didn't just start building cars although I will say mine tore away from the factory screws at whatever the limiter is set at when the car was just broken in so they engineered a car and set the limiter and parts start falling off wtf my car was shaking so bad I knew right away it wasn't tires although I did think I might have broken a belt I'm not discounting these other fellas I don't know what the effect of removing it would be i never gave it a rhoughr

TheRamie

Established Member
Thanks for all your input, for now, it doesn't seem to be causing any problems, and it'll only be on the road a couple more months anyway, so i'll put that on the winter parts list.....below the performance mods lol

stangn

Established Member
I remade the front splash guard from aluminum and had it powder coated black. It's a bit longer so I could screw it to sway bar delete bracket.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Seems like it would be a good idea to keep the splash guard if you daily drive your stang to help keep the engine bay clean. I ditched mine after i installed my procharger as the intercooler pipes hang too low. Was going to cut some holes in it to make it fit but now I have a bmr k member so I don't think it will be going back on. I haven't experienced any hood shaking but I have a 14 with the hood vents. I would think that the 11-12 cars would be more prone to hood shaking without the guard

Users who are viewing this thread