Engine specs

ZeroSpinn

Car Mod Addict
Established Member
Hey guys, I want to build a car to my specs, so I was thinking of getting a cheap mustang and then replacing everything. My question is this: I found some company selling the 5.4L 4V Navigator engine for pretty cheap. Does anyone know how this compares to the actual 2000 R engine? I know obvious power differences, but what about how many bolt mains or just engine strength in general, and what allows the 'R' to make 85 more hp?

Cobra-R

Established Member
My guess is most of the power increase came from the intake and raising the compression ratio. Obviously there is more differences than that, but that is my guess where most of the hp gain was made.

Andy M

Established Member
ok, here are the main differences...

Heads - the heads have been reworked for the R to provide better flow

Oil Pan - Canton Oil Products racing oil pan (9 quarts!)

pistons - forged pistons (much stronger for racing)

rods - titanium (again much stronger)

crank - billet steel (again, you guessed it.. stronger)

stroke - longer stroke than the normal Navigator motor to provide more "uumph" (that's a technical term) ;-)

Intake - a special "R only" intake plenum - this one SVT will NOT sell you if you are not an R owner - so you'll have to resort to something else in the aftermarket.

headers - short tube headers for increased flow of spent gasses
fart.gif

This is all I can think of at the moment????

The largest HP gains are coming from the longer stroke (ie: moving more air) which uses the extra air from the blimp-sized air intake, then expends it out of the short tube headers (less restriction than a normal motor's exhaust manifold) and then out to the less restrictive exhaust system.

Additionally, several of us (myself included) were able to even squeeze several more HP by replacing the stock Cobra CATs with some hiflow ones from Bassani, along with some new hiflow exhaust. Mine gained over 30 rear wheel HP with the exhaust and a chip remap. It now has 370 RWHP and 375 RWTQ. Equates to about 430 HP at the crank. Not bad for a normally-aspirated motor.

While you could certainly get close with a normal motor with the right mods, it would cost a pretty penny to get all of these goodies at once. But heh, go for it if you feel the need?

Let us know what you decide??

Last edited:

Andy M

Established Member
Cast iron, huh? cool!!!

uh, and Brian, just how many cast iron atoms are there in one molecule??? 24 right?? :bash: :bash: :bash: :-D :-D :-D :-D

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
Cast iron, huh? cool!!!

uh, and Brian, just how many cast iron molecules are there in one atom??? 24 right?? :bash: :bash: :bash: :-D :-D :-D :-D

Andy,
you are now one of "them" and I wouldn't be proud of that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
I can't let Kevin have all the fun?!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D

Ahh heck, jump on!!! Whats one more added to the pile?:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

ZeroSpinn

Car Mod Addict
Established Member
Thanks

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I had no idea the 'R' engines were so awesome, what with titanium rods and a billet crank and all. AndyM, I just really like the 4V heads, and thought that the 5.4 block would be good for some extra power over the 4.6, and be a lot cheaper than buying one from say, Sean Hyland. I guess I'll just have to upgrade the internals, and then supercharge the hell out of it. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread