Engine rebuild

brucesvt

Established Member
Hey guys as many of you may know over the last year I have brought my 96 cobra back from the dead. But with 177k as far as I know I wanted to see what’s a good route for a engine rebuild. Wanted to just update the heads to c-heads. wanted buy a b head adapter so I can use my upper b head intake with the lower c head intake.

My budget is 2-3k where can I start? Want to do this by April 2019 , just a stockish rebuild.

With the car running again just want to enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly, after buying a pair of C heads and having them reworked you be in around $2-3k.
You could just buy a set and slap them on, but not what i would advise. Who will be doing the install?

96GT226410

Established Member
If $2,000 - $3,000 is your budget I'd look into finding a 03/04 Cobra shortblock or longblock. Other than that a cheap rebuild will cost you more. For a budget build your can use Boss 302/2015 Coyote rods (good for 700 hp and they have ARP style bolts and they're around $200 new shipped), ModMax pistons (good for 700 hp and they are around $550 shipped), whatever bearings and rings you like (I prefer King bearings and Total Seals). Add block work and the cost of the C heads (plus refreshing) and your budget is surpassed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

brucesvt

Established Member
If $2,000 - $3,000 is your budget I'd look into finding a 03/04 Cobra shortblock or longblock. Other than that a cheap rebuild will cost you more. For a budget build your can use Boss 302/2015 Coyote rods (good for 700 hp and they have ARP style bolts and they're around $200 new shipped), ModMax pistons (good for 700 hp and they are around $550 shipped), whatever bearings and rings you like (I prefer King bearings and Total Seals). Add block work and the cost of the C heads (plus refreshing) and your budget is surpassed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Thanks looks like I just have to save a little more since I want c heads

shurur

Established Member
It will be more money for you, but a stroker kit might be a good idea too.
I know we all have good ideas about how to help each other spend more money.....

brucesvt

Established Member
So if I get the heads rebuilt along with the bottom end I should be ok to add a super charger right? If I wanted to go that route

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
So if I get the heads rebuilt along with the bottom end I should be ok to add a super charger right? If I wanted to go that route

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Can I just say, if you really plan on going with boost, then you may as well stick with the B heads. Get them redone when you have the shortblock done. Save yourself $1500.

coposrv

Established Member
Can I just say, if you really plan on going with boost, then you may as well stick with the B heads. Get them redone when you have the shortblock done. Save yourself $1500.

I’ve had a few sets of 4v heads done. A basic going through with guides, Seats, valve job seals will still put him around 12-1500$ depending on who does the work.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
You can get them already done on FB sale groups for $800-$1k depending on the deal. Usually someone who is "going in a different direction" etc... Even if they cost $1500 that's still like half of what TFS 2V heads cost and what ported PI heads costs and the 4V heads are just way better.

Stroker kit on a 4.6L is not worth it. Gains almost nothing at the cost of longevity.

With your budget you can either boost OR rebuild, not both. And even then it's gonna be tight. I'd find a Mark VIII engine with as low miles as you can, put it on a stand, pop some C heads on it, C lower, use the C to B upper intake adapter, swap in and degree your 96-98 Cobra cams, tune it and call it good. That's a 320ish rwhp car that'll pull to 7500 and be a lot of fun on the streets.

Work within your budget/means.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
You want super budget just get some 99/01 style C heads off a 99-02 Continental engine. Same exact heads that came on the 99/01 Cobras. Cheap, work well, the power difference between them and the 03-05 revised heads is negligible.

96dreamer

Established Member
When I built my motor I pulled a whole continental motor from the junkyard sold a few things off it and scrapped the rest and made money. I was working at a place that manufactures engine refinishing equipment at the time and rebuilt them for free so the swap didn't cost me any extra money over redoing the b heads. I would also recommend fixing the passenger side secondary tensioner and spending the money for nice billet oil pump gears.

Users who are viewing this thread